Just did some Gabling,,

flash5153

none
Silver Member
Probably shouldn't have ,, I feel guilty. Got a few hundred,,just got home,its late.
Wonder if I took someones bill money. I must be getting old.

This game can be brutal,,,win or lose!!

CarlB

Formerly AfghanBilliards
Silver Member
Hmm, the guilty conscience...sounds like a name of a good pool hustling movie. :) lol. Two methods of thinking about it, if someone puts up bill money, thats not your fault, its their own. lol.

Other method is don't gamble if your afraid of taking someones bill money, it happens more than you think.

Carl

stouter2386

how about the 5 out ?
Silver Member
I've often wondered about this as well. i usually feel the same way if i beat a lesser player for the $$$$$ also

maidenfreak

Maidenfreak2009
Silver Member
In the early 90's my playing was a good income supplement. I would have played an old woman with a walker, and used her walker to shoot with to get some action. Nowadays I only gamble with friends who know how we all shoot. I would probably feel bad if I took someones food money today. ;)

master_cueist

pick your poison
Silver Member
The first thing that came to mind when I read this...lack of killer instinct. You think a lion cares that the zebra he is about to eat has babies or a mate? Like you said it can be brutal, thats why if your going to get into it far enough to play for enough money to win a few hundred you have to develope that killer instinct, stop thinking about where the money is coming from and start thinking about where your going to put it. I had a friend once who won 100 bucks at our family poker game we have all off my grandpa...on the way home he was telling us he was feeling soooo guilty he wanted to turn around and give half back...my uncle and i about blew a gasket because my grandpa thinks the way any gambler should...he knows hes going to lose sometimes thats a given and a price hes willing to pay...but if he had been the one that won that hundred bucks he would have just been thinking of someway to get more money off our friend, and we told him that. So all i can say is if your going to play pool, poker, golf or anything for that matter for money...you better develope an unbreakable killer instinct, or it might really hurt your wallet.

cesarmorales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am now to the point where I have more than enough money and I feel guilty SOMETIMES if I win and the other guy gets upset. I wonder if he cant afford to lose or if he is just a jerk that gets mad because he expected me to pay his rent when he asked me to play some cheap. I play with mostly friends who we know each others speed and the gamble makes the game interesting. Sometimes I get asked to play for a few dollars by somebody who has no idea and when I win I feel guilty. Then there are the guys that think they are big time hustlers and putting them in their place is better than the cash.

When I was younger and not as financially set as I am now I would go on the road with other players and it was all about finding suckers, mullets, fish to fry. I remember going to Chicago with my dad and Jose Louis Barrientes and a couple of other good players. We did not do so well at the main pool halls but found a bar with a ton of drunks that were getting their pay checks cashed at the bar and then handing it over to us.

M HOUSE

Silver Member
Only twice did I give money back

Gable. To bet money on a Scrabble Game.

I thought maybe he just lost one of his m's to the guy he had been playing.

Seriously though, I played on the road off and on for several decades and I only gave money back twice. Once was to avoid getting shot, he had a gun and I didn't. The other time was in a bar in Alabama. I matched up with a guy who only thought he played good. As I began to win more and more of his money I noticed a young lady sitting at the bar with tears rolling down her face. This was about five days before Christmas. When I got the chance to ask the bartender what was wrong with her, he explained that the guy I was playing was her husband and the money he was losing was money she had saved to buy their two children Christmas presents. At first I suspected a ploy, but the tears were real and it pained me to see the hurt in her eyes.

I went back to the table and asked if he wanted to raise the bet. He did and it wasn't long before he was busted. She was crying pretty hard at this point. I waited around until he went to the restroom. I went over and handed all the money he lost to her. I told her to make sure the kids had a good Christmas but don't dare tell him where she got the money. I thought this would make her happy, but she only started crying harder. I had to leave in a hurry before the husband came out and thought I did something to her.

Last edited:

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
told this story before

Probably shouldn't have ,, I feel guilty. Got a few hundred,,just got home,its late.
Wonder if I took someones bill money. I must be getting old.

This game can be brutal,,,win or lose!!

The vast majority of the time I gambled nightly I had a good job or owned a business. I had a checking account with a comfortable balance in it. For a few years the goal had became not just to win but to bust the other player, if you frustrated him so much that he bet his pool cue when he was busted so much the better. I often sold a cue for a few dollars or gave it away while the previous owner was watching to grind it in. Occasionally I gave one back to someone I knew but strangers usually lost the stick, permanently! I won several pairs of cowboy boots during this time which I gave back, didn't really want to wear somebody else's boots. Won a couple of cars but I had better and gave them back too.

One night I was playing a nice guy but it was obvious that the strain was grinding on him once it was obvious he couldn't beat me. He kept fighting but he was outclassed from the jump and when he tightened up he couldn't make a ball in the ocean.

I felt my usual sense of accomplishment when I busted him. He was a stranger and I had learned the value of being nice to "customers" that would go off for decent money so I walked outside with him talking. He stopped by the door to smoke a cigarette before walking over to his car and I noticed a woman and small baby in it. I walked over to it and I didn't feel so proud. She and the baby had been sitting out in the cold for several hours while I took every dime they had. I gave her about half of the winnings back and told her to keep most for the baby telling her husband I only gave her twenty. I also told her that her husband wasn't nearly good enough to be hustling even in bars and to keep him away from pool tables. Doubt any of my advice was followed.

That was a turning point. I still busted a lot of people but it was no longer a deliberate goal that I would try to manipulate people into. I had particularly enjoyed busting braggarts and jerks but now I wondered how many of those types I had busted had families too. A conscience is a terrible thing for a hustler to have and it took a lot of the joy from gambling. The competition wasn't as exciting when it wasn't until either I busted the other person or ran out of money for the night myself. One reason I drifted away from pool for twenty years, a lot of the simple joy of conquest was gone.

Hu

thintowin

thin2win
Silver Member
Maybe I am way off base, but these kind of responses about gambling and worried about the rent money and such are exactly what is wrong with pool these days. I was made to feel sorry for someone I busted once. His wife came in crying and such and I gave her back half the money. Long story short - is that I later heard through some friends that the player and wife had played me as a rube. Needless to say, I never gave any money back. As I think about how many times I was busted; did anyone ever give me my losses? Nope, and if they had tried I probably would have tried to whip their a#$!

The lack of a steady "food chain" is what is wrong with pool today. You would win and you would lose to someone better and the cycle continued. The lack of plentiful steady jobs did away with that model, and imo pool will never recover until that simple economic factor is addressed.

TX Poolnut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I beat a guy out of 75 bucks once and he quit. He went back to the bar with his girlfriend and continued drinking. I had to go up to the bar and politley "ask" for my money. She had to take it out of her purse because apparently, he didn't have any cash.

You should have seen the look on her face.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Maybe I am way off base, but these kind of responses about gambling and worried about the rent money and such are exactly what is wrong with pool these days. I was made to feel sorry for someone I busted once. His wife came in crying and such and I gave her back half the money. Long story short - is that I later heard through some friends that the player and wife had played me as a rube. Needless to say, I never gave any money back. As I think about how many times I was busted; did anyone ever give me my losses? Nope, and if they had tried I probably would have tried to whip their a#$!

The lack of a steady "food chain" is what is wrong with pool today. You would win and you would lose to someone better and the cycle continued. The lack of plentiful steady jobs did away with that model, and imo pool will never recover until that simple economic factor is addressed.

Wow, what a familiar story. Once, and only once, at my first poolroom (where I played a zillion guys), I played this guy and beat him out of all his money with his wife and baby sitting there watching. She started bawling about not having money for food or milk for her baby. I gave her back all the money (maybe $75-80) I had just won. Later on, I felt like maybe I got "played."

Last edited:

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
I gave her back all the money (maybe $75-80) I had just won. Later on, I felt like maybe I got "played."

If you got $80 to your name and your bright plan is to try to win milk money playing pool... you deserve to go bust.

As the owner, you should have kept the money and made them work it off in the kitchen.

poolhustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow, what a familiar story. Once, and only once, at my first poolroom (where I played a zillion guys), I played this guy and beat him out of all his money with his wife and baby sitting there watching. She started bawling about not having money for food or milk for her baby. I gave her back all the money (maybe $75-80) I had just won. Later on, I felt like maybe I got "played."

Funny Jay. I got same story. I played a kid a few years back. Took some cash. He wanted a rematch, so we set it up. Near the end of the match, I was up a hun or so. He started complaining about his wife and baby. Saying he needed some money to buy diapers.

I told him to keep his money and that we would never play again.

flash5153

none
Silver Member
I read all the responses and really didn't understand why everyone was spelling Gambling wrong.

And then I realized how ya'll came up with the idea!!!:(:sorry: DOH!!!

But actually I did fairly well considering when I posted this,,, I was one beer away from a coma!!:D

And yes I have a hangover today,,but with a few extra big bens!!! I don't feel guilty today ,,,not at all.:wink:

TX Poolnut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Attachments

• cheetahs.jpg
    cheetahs.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 149

Spider1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If they cannot afford to lose the money they should not be gambling. If they get hurt by losing the money, then maybe they will learn a lesson.