Short Rack 8 Ball

Brain71

Railbird
Silver Member
Where can I find rules and regulations to short rack 8 ball? A link would be great.

Mark Griffin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Short rack 8-ball

This is a great game.

When having rooms in Alaska, we used to have tournaments and stuff.

We actually called it Fastrack 8-ball!

I have the rules but you need to intact me at:

Markg@playcsipool.com
Give me your name and also phone number etc.

The rules are Real simple. 9-ball rack - play 8-ball with 4of each suite.
Key is to make ball on the break.
Excellent tool for training weaker players how to develop patterns etc.

Markg

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
Yea, it was a blast. We called it Fast 8. Just rack like a 9 ball rack with the 8 in the middle, 4 stripes, 4 solids, in no particular order. Flip or lag, break and go. Makes for a quick evening and a little more time at the bar...

boogeyman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fast-rack 8 ball

Ah! NOW we're talking! These are the games we need to attract the masses: NOT a Bonus Ball.
Keep the game at 8-ball is great! Speeding it up is awesome!
Pool is NOT like the major sports. Although I am a long-time player, pool is not a sport, it's a game. You have to treat as such and to not complicate things.
Pool was meant to be played at the table. It wasn't made to be played while looking at a clock. The only clock we need in the game is the shot clock.

rhatten

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yea, it was a blast. We called it Fast 8. Just rack like a 9 ball rack with the 8 in the middle, 4 stripes, 4 solids, in no particular order. Flip or lag, break and go. Makes for a quick evening and a little more time at the bar...

We have specific rules that had a very specific break order...ie

1 yellow
2 10 Blue
11 8 3 Red...red
4 12 Purple
9 yellow

and...everything is called after the break (no slop). Can't win/ lose on the break... no balls are ever spotted after the break except the 8. Premature pocketing the 8 after the break is loss of game.

Table is open if a ball is made on break... the incoming shooter shooting in numerical order the suit of choice. If one scratches on the break, incoming player 'shoots from the kitchen' (only time) at the lowest numeric ball value of his chosen suit that is outside the kitchen. After that shot is made, numeric rotation resumes for the suit chosen.

All balls of a suit must be pocketed prior to pocketing the 8 for the win. If other balls are pocketed (except the 8) while making a good hit on the object ball, all balls remain down. Shooter continues play only if the ball pocketed is called'... ie carom, combos are always legal etc etc. No 3 foul rule is in effect but everything follows basic Texas express rules until the 8 ball is made.

Its a Great Game.....

One "continuation game" is to bet (prior to the first game) on the remaining balls at the end of the Fastrack 8/ Short Rack 8 game. This is 'played thru' as normal 10 ball rules-ie no slop but still no 3 foul). So the 1st game is now over but there remains 0-4 balls on the table...

If the bet was made prior the the first game (lets say $5 and $5), after that game has ended then the "continuation game" automatically begins with the same shooter who just won the 8 ball game shooting. If there is 0 balls on the table after the first game then a ball is spotted on the break spot and the "continuation game" is played from where the cue ball stopped rolling from the end of the previous Short rack 8 game.

We like to call this game the "Short Rack 8 ball/ 9 ball game" implying the continuation game into TeXas express 9 ball.. but with no slop. Also fwiw, Ball spots again can be used for handicapping... but giving up the 'last 2' is a MONSTER spot considering the number of balls your opponent might have pocketed in the 1st game of Short Rack 8...think about it... fun fun

Randy

Brain71

Railbird
Silver Member
Ah! NOW we're talking! These are the games we need to attract the masses: NOT a Bonus Ball.
Keep the game at 8-ball is great! Speeding it up is awesome!
Pool is NOT like the major sports. Although I am a long-time player, pool is not a sport, it's a game. You have to treat as such and to not complicate things.
Pool was meant to be played at the table. It wasn't made to be played while looking at a clock. The only clock we need in the game is the shot clock.

Well said....

Vahmurka

...and I get all da rolls
Silver Member
One "continuation game" is to bet (prior to the first game) on the remaining balls at the end of the Fastrack 8/ Short Rack 8 game.
I didn't get the procedure for this one. Could you please provide an example, better two?

david(tx)

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Did you play 7 ball rotation with remaining balls after Fast 8 on bar table ?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We have specific rules that had a very specific break order...ie

1 yellow
2 10 Blue
11 8 3 Red...red
4 12 Purple
9 yellow

and...everything is called after the break (no slop). Can't win/ lose on the break... no balls are ever spotted after the break except the 8. Premature pocketing the 8 after the break is loss of game.

Table is open if a ball is made on break... the incoming shooter shooting in numerical order the suit of choice. If one scratches on the break, incoming player 'shoots from the kitchen' (only time) at the lowest numeric ball value of his chosen suit that is outside the kitchen. After that shot is made, numeric rotation resumes for the suit chosen.

All balls of a suit must be pocketed prior to pocketing the 8 for the win. If other balls are pocketed (except the 8) while making a good hit on the object ball, all balls remain down. Shooter continues play only if the ball pocketed is called'... ie carom, combos are always legal etc etc. No 3 foul rule is in effect but everything follows basic Texas express rules until the 8 ball is made.

Its a Great Game.....

One "continuation game" is to bet (prior to the first game) on the remaining balls at the end of the Fastrack 8/ Short Rack 8 game. This is 'played thru' as normal 10 ball rules-ie no slop but still no 3 foul). So the 1st game is now over but there remains 0-4 balls on the table...

If the bet was made prior the the first game (lets say $5 and $5), after that game has ended then the "continuation game" automatically begins with the same shooter who just won the 8 ball game shooting. If there is 0 balls on the table after the first game then a ball is spotted on the break spot and the "continuation game" is played from where the cue ball stopped rolling from the end of the previous Short rack 8 game.

We like to call this game the "Short Rack 8 ball/ 9 ball game" implying the continuation game into TeXas express 9 ball.. but with no slop. Also fwiw, Ball spots again can be used for handicapping... but giving up the 'last 2' is a MONSTER spot considering the number of balls your opponent might have pocketed in the 1st game of Short Rack 8...think about it... fun fun

Randy
That's way tooooooo many words brother. Play it just like reg. 8ball. Done.

Buzzard II

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's way tooooooo many words brother. Play it just like reg. 8ball. Done.
You responded to aa 11 year old post. :D
And I'm happy he did. During the pandemic I bought a Valley and put it next to my GC for close friends who aren't pool oriented to play on. Now everyone has a good time.

I never even knew of short rack or fast eight. I called it 9ball-8ball. Regular 8 ball rules. Started this because of the dinky table and how much traffic there is due to 15 balls clogging up the table. Hey you can even have side bets on which table can clear a rack first.

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We used to play this short rack 8 ball with the balls racked in a diamond too.

Sometimes we would throw in a twist.- a mix of 8 ball and 9 ball. If you picked stripes you had to run them in order before shooting the 8. Same with solids. A good starter game for newbies to rotation games like 9 ball and 10 ball.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Short rack 8-ball

This is a great game.

When having rooms in Alaska, we used to have tournaments and stuff.

We actually called it Fastrack 8-ball!

I have the rules but you need to intact me at:

Markg@playcsipool.com
Give me your name and also phone number etc.

The rules are Real simple. 9-ball rack - play 8-ball with 4of each suite.
Key is to make ball on the break.
Excellent tool for training weaker players how to develop patterns etc.

Markg
Yep, and it's why as kids we chose 6 ball instead of niner.