Worst Commentator ever

iba7467

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Inspired by the complaints of Jim Wych, I thought I would ask for the opinions on all our commentators both good and bad.

I will give my personal first.

Worst - I don't see how anyone could disagree ... Jimmy Mataya (annoying voice, mannerisms, did he ever lose a match for cash?)

Best - possibly Freddy (light disposition, knowledgable, interesting stories both old and new)

Last edited:

bigskyjake

you heard the man
Silver Member
iba7467 said:
Inspired by the complaints of Jimmy Wetch)

Hold up boss, Jimmy Wetch ( the St. Paul strangler) is friggin cool
Jim Wych (the tool) is who you're talking about

I would rather watch a talking sea otter eat a basket of kittens than listen to Wych

iba7467

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
bigskyjake said:
Jim Wych (the tool) is who you're talking about

I would rather watch a talking sea otter eat a basket of kittens than listen to Wych

Correction made

s'portplayer

Midnight Rambler
Silver Member
Mataya The Man

I like Mataya, has a great personality and tells it how it is. Can't ask more from a commentator than that.

Dawn Hopkins could use some personality when she's on the air, but does a fair job.

Haven't really seen too many that just get under skin more than some of Chris "BOOMER" Berman in his early ESPN days, when he was commentating some pool matches.

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a great idea. Once the results are in, we should have a Worst Commentator Contest. I mean, get the absolute worst guys in the world to comment on the finals of the US Open and then post a poll right here in azb on who we think stinks the most. The stinkiest commentator in pool will then get the opportunity to do commentary on the next Jeremy Jones v Johnny Archer match-up. Any thoughts?

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i like them all, except for Wytch and Beard when he is in a bad mood, when Freddy is in a good mood he is awesome, Jay is great, Billy, Grady, Scott the shot-is good but it aint his gig, danny d gets repetitious,

the worst i ever heard was in the netherlands on a snooker event where they put 2 guys in the booth that didnt know anything at all about the game, they were soccer guys or something that just were winging it, they had no clue they litterly didnt know what end of a cue to chalk. it was actually funny it was so bad,

Wytch could be good if he calmed down a bit, he has improved in the past few years,

asbani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Worst - Jimmy Mataya (I watched a ring game on youtube one day. and I muted the sound cause of him)

Best - Billy (Always make the match really interesting in his speech & he is so outgoing person)

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
Jude Rosenstock said:
The stinkiest commentator in pool will then get the opportunity to do commentary on the next Jeremy Jones v Johnny Archer match-up. Any thoughts?

That's sounds great! I'll take the job!

First off, I'd like to thank our sponsors of this event ...

Lintroller.jpg

JimS

Grandpa & his grand boys.
Silver Member
I get upset by Ken Shumans apparent belief that if a mic is in front of him it MUST be spoken into without pause or rest!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hit the mute most all the time he's on because he tends to do acknowledgments of sponsers, etc, ad nauseum. Always wants to acknowledge everybody several times.

Today he started doing pretty well during the Charlie Williams match but after Scott Smith left the "booth" Ken went off on another tangent requiring that he acknowlege everybody over and over again. I would much prefer some quiet conversation about the game at hand and if the announcer doesn't have anything to say about the match/game then just stfu! (didn't mean to get profane... it sometimes get to me... that motor mouth stuff :eek: :rolleyes: )

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
iba7467 said:
Inspired by the complaints of Jim Wych, I thought I would ask for the opinions on all our commentators both good and bad.

Worst - I don't see how anyone could disagree ... Jimmy Mataya (annoying voice, mannerisms, did he ever lose a match for cash?)

Best - possibly Freddy (light disposition, knowledgable, interesting stories both old and new)

I like Jimmy Wych. He's probably done more professional commentary than anybody and he does know something about pool.

I didn't think Mike Sigel was very good at it. Keith did a couple of matches and, well, he plays great pool.

I think Grady, Danny D., Buddy Hall, and Billy Incardona are all excellent.

I've heard Tony Annigoni a couple of times, and he's hilarious. He does an impression of Earl that could make the big stage.

Our own Jay Helfert is one of the best. Witty, great voice, tons of knowledge about the game and the players. I really enjoy hearing Jay's commentary.

Chris

Last edited:

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Blackjack said:
That's sounds great! I'll take the job!

First off, I'd like to thank our sponsors of this event ...

Lintroller.jpg

Thats the strongest post I have seen in along time. LOL. he is 22-0 right now, Whats the line he wins?

someone give me a bet on this-I want Archer and fair odds.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
iba7467 said:

Worst: Barry Tompkins... is there anyone close to how bad he was?

Best: Tough Call, but on in international television scale, Jerry Forsythe did an excellent job.

Fred

jnav447

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Worst - Sid Waddell, a British commentator who does commentary for darts, snooker, and sometimes pool. He sounds like Olive Oil on speed when he gets revved up, and is impossible to understand.
Best - Jay Helfert. Just flawless, impeccable commentary. ESPN should hire him.

uwate

daydreaming about pool
Silver Member
You think Incardona...the voice of Accu-stats...was the worst?

wow thats incredible...

How Billy can even be put into the same category with Wych is gonna really amaze people and maybe rub wincardona the wrong way. Your talking about fine wine and maddog there, not even the same species of commentators.

My picks are:
worst: Mataya with a dead heat second place finish to Wych and Barry Berman.

Best: I always liked Grady the best with Billy and Freddy coming in a close second. Danny D, Buddy Hall, Varner and Jay also did pretty good, especially at one pocket. Mark Wilson wasn't bad either, I think him and Grady made a pretty good team. Some of my favorite matches are these Cleveland 10ball matches that Grady and Wilson did. I think who I like the best depends alot on the game played. Weenie Beanie was pretty good at 1p but I dont think he did any 9ball commentary.

9ballprodigy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
worst-
sid waddell - omg, can anyone understand him? "binger-banger"? "give'um the hogwarts"? is this guy making up words as he goes along?

danny di leberto -sounds like a senile old man commentating.

danny- "well, lookee here! he could go to the side rail with a lot of inside spin and come around three rails like this, this and this!"

other announcer- "uh... i don't think i would go that way, i mean he could just stun the bal..."

Danny- "nononono... i like this way more."

best-
bill incardona
grady matthews

when they are commentating, they are spouting out pure gold. i remember both of them commentating for a game between efren reyes and takahashi (i think) kunihiko. efren played every shot exactly how they described it.

s'portplayer

Midnight Rambler
Silver Member
Tap Tap

Just a lil TAP TAP for Grady, Billy, and Buddy as some of the best. How much fun would it be to get all three of them in the booth at once?

OH WAIT A MINUTE!!!!!!

How about them do the Shane-Earl match, now tell me if that wouldn't be some fabulous commentating. Don't know if that would be possible, but man that alone would be worth tuning in to see.