šŸ’”The BEST pool advice I've ever received was...

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When a friend of mine was having a difficult time at the table he would melodically sing "I talk to the balls but they don't listen, I sing to my cue but it don't care!"
It used to crack me up!:)
He needs practice talking to the balls more. Eventually they really do listen.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When a friend of mine was having a difficult time at the table he would melodically sing "I talk to the balls but they don't listen, I sing to my cue but it don't care!"
It used to crack me up!:)

Speaking of talking to your cue, many years back I was at Grady's room in SC.

The second day I was there a fellow comes in and apologizes to Grady for something that had happened the night before. I'm not sure, but I think it involved the breakage of a custom cue. Anywhos, all is forgiven and forgotten and we're having a good laugh and the fellow starts telling the story of another "incident," relating that in this case, a player who was shooting poorly got to the point of holding his $1000 custom at arms length and seriously intoned, "One more and that's it for you, Big Daddy."

We all cracked up.

Lou Figueroa

Willowbrook Wolfy

Your wushu is weak!

The second day I was there a fellow comes in and apologizes to Grady for something that had happened the night before. I'm not sure, but I think it involved the breakage of a custom cue. Anywhos, all is forgiven and forgotten and we're having a good laugh and the fellow starts telling the story of another "incident," relating that in this case, a player who was shooting poorly got to the point of holding his $1000 custom at arms length and seriously intoned, "One more and that's it for you, Big Daddy."

We all cracked up.

Lou Figueroa
Last time I broke a shaft I talked to the cue first. Probably the only time ever while out in publicā€¦.I still donā€™t regret it either. She was actinā€™ funny. Had to set her straight, onto my knee. And it all worked out. The cue repair guy finally took me seriously after that about the cue being messed up and checked the bottom half. Sure enough the weight bolt was loose. Well worth the $200.

Bigkat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

We all cracked up.

Lou Figueroa
šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚

jbullerjr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In the DFW area many years ago, a knowledgeable B.C.A. instructor told me the are really only TWO things you must do to play great pool.
ā€œWould you like to hear them?ā€
ā€Hell yea!ā€
ā€Ok, number 1 never under any circumstances undercut a ball.ā€œ
This made sense, I had heard of missing on the pro side.
ā€œAlright, number 2, probably even more important NEVER, EVER overcut a ball!ā€

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
A friend once told me after getting furious with a miss, then running out next visit, ā€œI get so damn mad, and then I can shoot the lights out. Trouble is I canā€™t stay mad long enough.ā€

Sometimes when I got pissed at a stranger I would break out my big game in the corner bar near me that I mostly used as a hangout although I picked up a few bucks there. Usually balls flew off the table and into holes and it was a slaughtering field. When the stranger had enough I sometimes forgot to shift gears back to mellow mode. After I tore through a few racks my fellow denizen of the bar would remind me that it was them I was playing now! They didn't mind contributing as long as I gave them a look at the table. I found it funny that the local small time hustlers were unfazed when my game jumped a bunch when a road player came in then dropped back down to play them.

Hu

crww

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A friend told me, as I was just starting to gamble a bit.
When your playing for money..don't think about the money

smoochie

NotLikeThis
Obviously watching videos is very good advice but a personally top-notch advice when I was a kid that I received was from an older very good player who one time told me as I was playing position and getting angry at where the cueball landed....he said "You don't have to be perfect on every position, getting angry wouldn't help you pot the next shot rather start accepting your current location and try to make it"

This has helped me incredibly.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Obviously watching videos is very good advice but a personally top-notch advice when I was a kid that I received was from an older very good player who one time told me as I was playing position and getting angry at where the cueball landed....he said "You don't have to be perfect on every position, getting angry wouldn't help you pot the next shot rather start accepting your current location and try to make it"

This has helped me incredibly.

One thing that helped me a bunch was finding where or what area I wanted the cue ball in then considering all routes to get there. Often the first route wasn't the best route. Another thing similar to what the old player told you, don't strive for great shape and run extra risk when good shape will do just fine. If your total shot length from cue ball to pocket is only three or four feet there just aren't many angles that will cause you to miss. Which brings up the acronym that I have used to myself many a time, not pointing the exact wording at anyone else. KISS, keep it simple stupid! I never thought I was stupid but I sure made some bone headed shots sometimes!

Hu