14.1 challenge John Schmidt concedes to Shaw disgrace

liakos

Banned
Has anyone asked Schmidt if he was bothered by Shaw's lack of interest in the game. Some people would take Shaw's disinterest as disrespectful and would be pissed at that kind of action. Maybe Schmidt felt disrespected and said "Screw it, I don't want to play anymore." That kind of action can take one off their game and get into their head. Maybe this happened here.

I like this post a lot! I've been in this situation for small $! I'd rather play someone who is into the game than someone who just want s to go! Not saying John was right, but I would ask him why he did that before knocking him. Again, not agreeing, but somebody here said Shaw posted on his FB page he just wanted it over. If I was John and I knew that, I would probably do the same! If Shaw wrote that during his match, wicked shame on him!!!

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This was my first thought, after I read how Shaw didn't seem like he wanted to be there, and shot a bank flyer without really looking at it.

You shouldn't have to find excuses for Mr 400 he should be beyond this type of behavior , but again he's not , he's bitter because he thinks he should get the recognition of the past 14-1 greats ,,, yet he does nothing to deserve it

TheLoneSilencer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Let us play devil advocate & say that the reason he did that was feeling slighted by his opponent. It still does not excuse his unprofessional behavior for the fans in attendance watching, those watching online, sponsors, etc...

You have under 10 balls to make to finish a match, raking the balls because you feel slighted is not only disrespectful, it is absolutely stupid.

Charlie Hustle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You shouldn't have to find excuses for Mr 400 he should be beyond this type of behavior , but again he's not , he's bitter because he thinks he should get the recognition of the past 14-1 greats ,,, yet he does nothing to deserve it

Not trying to make excuses for him, but if it WAS the case, I completely understand. Just like some of the posters above me

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
I like this post a lot! I've been in this situation for small $! I'd rather play someone who is into the game than someone who just want s to go! Not saying John was right, but I would ask him why he did that before knocking him. Again, not agreeing, but somebody here said Shaw posted on his FB page he just wanted it over. If I was John and I knew that, I would probably do the same! If Shaw wrote that during his match, wicked shame on him!!!

sorry, in a tourney, if someone wants to hand me the set, I will take it on a silver platter, cause I know the next guy is gonna bring it. Plus, move up closer to the money.. fine by me. Let the other guy piss away his entry fee, I don't care. It's not like its the first time someone had something else on their mind while playing you. Get use to it,,, it's a gift. Thank you, may I have another ;)

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
It's clear to me that nobody cares about the straightpool, they just enter to collect easy money.:angry: When people pull this kind of shit they should be barred FOREVER from that event. You are destroying the game for the people watching, and thus ruining potential earnings for the promoters.

John Schmidt always talking about straight pool and trying to get respect for his accomplishments in that game, then he disgraces the game this way. He has no respect from me from now on, that doesn't matter to him, but I bet a lot of people feel the same way that I do. Barring him from the event (straight pool challenge) would show that this kind of crap will not be tolerated. Maybe people will think twice about doing this kind of stuff, then.

Doesn't matter what the opponent does, when you are in a game in front of spectators, you finish it! That is what a professional would do. These people, especially Schmidt, always complains about not getting paid enough for what they do. Well, this is why. By such a shameful display you show that you are in fact overpaid!

Attachments

• q2-kt-simon-cowell-thumbs-down-1.jpg
    q2-kt-simon-cowell-thumbs-down-1.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 1,072
Last edited:

carolina_8ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Let us play devil advocate & say that the reason he did that was feeling slighted by his opponent. It still does not excuse his unprofessional behavior for the fans in attendance watching, those watching online, sponsors, etc...

You have under 10 balls to make to finish a match, raking the balls because you feel slighted is not only disrespectful, it is absolutely stupid.

I agree with this, and personally I feel this is why pool isn't in the same state as other skilled games or sports (whichever one prefers to refer to pool as). Players aren't being held accountable for their actions. A lot of Professional Pool Players (not all) lack the Integrity that a Professional in any field should represent themselves with. When potential sponsors see actions like these (from both players) it leaves a bad impression and they are more than likely to turn away. There should be some type of rule/punishment implemented to deter actions such as these. Clearly *****ing on AZB Forums doesn't seem to bother players.

Sloppy Pockets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I'm with this line of thinking myself. I think maybe it's a mistake to have this event at DCC. First Dennis' antics while playing Eberle, now this bullshit. Guys like Orcullo and Shaw should simply not enter these challenges if they have so little respect for the game and it's players.

actionplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree Shaw display was not stellar either posting while playing however he was more joking it seemed that last yeaar in the QF he enver got to shoot and this would be the saame thing, he hasa 9 ball maatch that night so would lieksome rest

howeever when he did get his turn he ran 5 then got funny aand took a flyer but sat down did not say anything or wave his hands about, schmidt dogs a ball then scratches while he is 8 balls from the finish line and wipes the table and concedes, gets worse each time you say it

aand yes JS is always complaining how pro pool plaayers are at the bottom of he baarrell etc it is disgusting he was in the mosconi team and got paid for just showing up, he barely put in effort it seems but he will happy play RR for 20k of someone else money and blow it

wrldpro

H.RUN 311/Diamond W.R.
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm with this line of thinking myself. I think maybe it's a mistake to have this event at DCC. First Dennis' antics while playing Eberle, now this bullshit. Guys like Orcullo and Shaw should simply not enter these challenges if they have so little respect for the game and it's players.

To be clear Dennis swept the balls when he played Max.
To be clear Schmidt swept the balls not Shaw.
Schmidt also swept the balls against Charlie Williams in the finals of a SBE 14 1 event a couple years ago.
14.1 is a game of patterns and so is Schmidts sweeping of the balls and attitude.
I hope all pool players like this stay broke.They are getting exactly was they deserve with the exception of being barred from these events.
I'm glad I'm not a sponsor because I would have asked for my financial support back and I hope the sponsors do the same or put their foot down to stop this garbage.

markgw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's nothing unusual for Schmidt.
conceding a match with a couple balls on the tabe we all have done that. To concede a match like he did is a disgrace not only to all the sponsors but also to all the people that spend their money to watch the matches.You are very right about everything and as a avid player of 14 1 Schmidt disgraced the game itself completely.
Now comes the thought of how should the penalty be set out for him.I'm pretty sure Dennis Walsh is in charge and he is a respectable stand up guy.IMHO not only did he concede the match but also any prize money as the match didn't finish because of what he did.Also some type of suspension from other events there or the next 14.1 should happen.

That would give you a better chance to win!! Haters will be haters.. I know it must be frustrating for you that the game comes so easy to him.. The good news for him is no matter what your comments are he'll still be John Schmidt Mr. 400 and you'll be ????

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's clear to me that nobody cares about the straightpool, they just enter to collect easy money.:angry: When people pull this kind of shit they should be barred FOREVER from that event. You are destroying the game for the people watching, and thus ruining potential earnings for the promoters.

John Schmidt always talking about straight pool and trying to get respect for his accomplishments in that game, then he disgraces the game this way. He has no respect from me from now on, that doesn't matter to him, but I bet a lot of people feel the same way that I do. Barring him from the event (straight pool challenge) would show that this kind of crap will not be tolerated. Maybe people will think twice about doing this kind of stuff, then.

Doesn't matter what the opponent does, when you are in a game in front of spectators, you finish it! That is what a professional would do. These people, especially Schmidt, always complains about not getting paid enough for what they do. Well, this is why. By such a shameful display you show that you are in fact overpaid!

I agree with you, with a couple stipulations. If it were an action match $$$$ rake or concede however ya like period. If you are in a tournament environment and you feel the need to concede at least so it with class, as if you were a professional and you were at your job.

As a side note, as others have said im almost to the point to where it would be a serious infraction to quit - and this is for 2 very important reasons. 1) The folks that paid the gate to watch ( very well could of been s group just there to watch a specific discipline - ie 14.1 OR THE FOLKS that PAID FOR THE STREAM!!!

I Def have NO PROBLEM with JS, however I think I would have a problem with the behavior. I have something to say to ALL PROS! Regardless whatever the payout be; and I do believe that pros SHOULD be able to make a GOOD STABLE LIVING, I also believe that no matter how BAD IT ( MAY SEEM ) That's it's still a PRIVILEGE FOR THEM TO BE ABLE TO PERFORM in front of us ---- THE FANS! What drives ANY SPORT? The fans. Period. Everyone wants things to get better - in every aspect but you can never forget that its ALWAYS the fans ( and their $$$$$$ spent ) that drives ANY & ALL SPORTS! Just saying.

While I know how this reads I must also add that when viewed im totality, of ALL PROS JS IMO IS TOPS - In all regards. Possibly he had a brainfart, emotions got the best of him etc............... Regardless unacceptable in the realm of business let alone a " PROFESSIONAL SPORT.

markgw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree with you, with a couple stipulations. If it were an action match $$$$ rake or concede however ya like period. If you are in a tournament environment and you feel the need to concede at least so it with class, as if you were a professional and you were at your job.

As a side note, as others have said im almost to the point to where it would be a serious infraction to quit - and this is for 2 very important reasons. 1) The folks that paid the gate to watch ( very well could of been s group just there to watch a specific discipline - ie 14.1 OR THE FOLKS that PAID FOR THE STREAM!!!

I Def have NO PROBLEM with JS, however I think I would have a problem with the behavior. I have something to say to ALL PROS! Regardless whatever the payout be; and I do believe that pros SHOULD be able to make a GOOD STABLE LIVING, I also believe that no matter how BAD IT ( MAY SEEM ) That's it's still a PRIVILEGE FOR THEM TO BE ABLE TO PERFORM in front of us ---- THE FANS! What drives ANY SPORT? The fans. Period. Everyone wants things to get better - in every aspect but you can never forget that its ALWAYS the fans ( and their $$$$$$ spent ) that drives ANY & ALL SPORTS! Just saying.

While I know how this reads I must also add that when viewed im totality, of ALL PROS JS IMO IS TOPS - In all regards. Possibly he had a brainfart, emotions got the best of him etc............... Regardless unacceptable in the realm of business let alone a " PROFESSIONAL SPORT.

It absolutely could have been that, he just got done with a very tough money match with Richie rich after a long plane flight and then got up and matched up in another very tough money match with Danny smith. We all get emotional about things we care about. I've seen him be a gentleman in losses many times

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That would give you a better chance to win!! Haters will be haters.. I know it must be frustrating for you that the game comes so easy to him.. The good news for him is no matter what your comments are he'll still be John Schmidt Mr. 400 and you'll be ????

Someone who treats not only the game with respect but the past champions with respect

wrldpro

H.RUN 311/Diamond W.R.
Gold Member
Silver Member

Paaalease.Get over yourself.let go of the string you have attached to him .No jealousy here.It was just as the OP stated a disgrace.
As for me I enjoy the game alot like others do.
BTW since you asked maybe Im Mr Diamond King to you and Schmidt.So far im the only person to break the 300 ball Mark on a Diamond table.You like how I said Mark just for you? I hope for your sake you weren't one of the backers that Schmidt dumped all that free roll money off to Richie.If so I apologize if my response to you snubbed you.

Last edited:

OLD NO 9

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
I do believe JS would have finished the 14.1 if he hadn't just been called for his 10,000 entry tourny.

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
Has anyone asked Schmidt if he was bothered by Shaw's lack of interest in the game. Some people would take Shaw's disinterest as disrespectful and would be pissed at that kind of action. Maybe Schmidt felt disrespected and said "Screw it, I don't want to play anymore." That kind of action can take one off their game and get into their head. Maybe this happened here.

I think that's just what happened, right or wrong, i think you hit the nail on the head.

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

+1
Correct correct
JS had big lead and should not be slighted by Jayson and no excuse. At least if he felt slighted he should have voiced out. Jayson probably tot he had no chance to win it