14.1 challenge John Schmidt concedes to Shaw disgrace

JCIN

TheActionReport.com
Gold Member
I hate concessions. Even if it's one ball. I understand them but they are terrible for any game that has even one person paying anything for it.

John screwed up in this case and I would bet if you talked to him about it in a calm manner he would admit that and probably wishes he would of done something different. John is a good guy. Like all humans he is subject to make bad decisions. Doesn't make him a bad guy. That said there needs to be a penalty for any player who quits in a match. It's horrible for the sponsors and really turns people off. It's not a boxing match. You dont throw in the towel. Either finish or don't play in the first place.

If all people want is what we have now which is a few guys in a hotel conference room playing for entries and basically donations from companies and individuals then allow this type of stuff to continue. If the players know they will be held accountable up front then they will either straighten up or schedule their time better and realize they should pass on an event if they want to focus their attention elsewhere. Other players see things like this (and many others that have happened over the years with many different players) with no one being held accountable. That breeds a mindset of having no responsibility to the fans and the people who spent time, money and effort putting on the event. That is bad for everyone especially the players themselves.

There are always exceptions but the problem now is that because there is zero accountability for anyone in the industry, promoter or player, its just a free for all. Fans show up not knowing if a guy is going to quit in the middle of a match or even show up for one and players show up not knowing what rules or equipment they are going to play with and in some cases even if they will be paid. It's all a mess and much bigger than John wigging out and raking the balls.

Don Owen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hate concessions. Even if it's one ball. I understand them but they are terrible for any game that has even one person paying anything for it.

John screwed up in this case and I would bet if you talked to him about it in a calm manner he would admit that and probably wishes he would of done something different. John is a good guy. Like all humans he is subject to make bad decisions. Doesn't make him a bad guy. That said there needs to be a penalty for any player who quits in a match. It's horrible for the sponsors and really turns people off. It's not a boxing match. You dont throw in the towel. Either finish or don't play in the first place.

If all people want is what we have now which is a few guys in a hotel conference room playing for entries and basically donations from companies and individuals then allow this type of stuff to continue. If the players know they will be held accountable up front then they will either straighten up or schedule their time better and realize they should pass on an event if they want to focus their attention elsewhere. Other players see things like this (and many others that have happened over the years with many different players) with no one being held accountable. That breeds a mindset of having no responsibility to the fans and the people who spent time, money and effort putting on the event. That is bad for everyone especially the players themselves.

There are always exceptions but the problem now is that because there is zero accountability for anyone in the industry, promoter or player, its just a free for all. Fans show up not knowing if a guy is going to quit in the middle of a match or even show up for one and players show up not knowing what rules or equipment they are going to play with and in some cases even if they will be paid. It's all a mess and much bigger than John wigging out and raking the balls.

Great post.

peteypooldude

I see Edges
Silver Member

^^^^* this^^^*^

kollegedave

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

The Best Post of the Thread. JCIN, you are an asset to the site and to pool. It is always good to see you on a thread.

I have always been a JS fan. I would like to think that what JCIN said was true--that JS made a bad decision here, but many of us have made bad decisions.

I would like to believe this is situation where a good guy made a mistake, and if he could do it over again, he might do it different.

kollegedave

TheBook

Ret Professional Goof Off
Silver Member
it is never over until it is over. Look at all of the bowl games and NFL playoffs that to some seemed like a blow out and by never giving up the other team made a comeback and won.

🎱

Sloppy Pockets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

What are you talking about? Shaw had already quit is his chair, but he just had to go up there and insult the best game of all because all he can do is run balls and can't play the actual game. If he did what folks say he did, how is he to be punished?

When a similar thing happened between Eberle and Orcullo it was Dennis that pissed me off. How rude and disrespectful, jumping up and watching another match instead of paying attention to his own game, and showing proper respect for his opponent! Of course, then he quit anyway, again for the same reason as Shaw - he didn't feel the match was that important to him. But lots of his friends came on here and defended his actions. Why the move to crucify John, who is one of the nicest pros I've had the pleasure to speak with?

So, we should mete out punishment to both Schmidt and Orcullo, but how do we punish a guy who is just slamming balls around (Shaw) because he's losing? I'll bet Shaw wouldn't have acted like that if he was barbecuing John instead of being skewered by him.

It's guys like Dennis Orcullo and Jayson Shaw who shouldn't play the game unless they intend to finish, and by finish, I mean to give it your all trying to win, not just get up there and throw your cue at the ball like a pissy baby girl.

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
John Schmidt has been assessed a $300 unsportsmanlike conduct penalty which has been added to the prizes of the other 3 contestants who were eliminated in the first round.

nineballsafety8

6ft 5" 285, hits 'em hard
Silver Member
What are you talking about? Shaw had already quit is his chair, but he just had to go up there and insult the best game of all because all he can do is run balls and can't play the actual game. If he did what folks say he did, how is he to be punished?

When a similar thing happened between Eberle and Orcullo it was Dennis that pissed me off. How rude and disrespectful, jumping up and watching another match instead of paying attention to his own game, and showing proper respect for his opponent! Of course, then he quit anyway, again for the same reason as Shaw - he didn't feel the match was that important to him. But lots of his friends came on here and defended his actions. Why the move to crucify John, who is one of the nicest pros I've had the pleasure to speak with?

So, we should mete out punishment to both Schmidt and Orcullo, but how do we punish a guy who is just slamming balls around (Shaw) because he's losing? I'll bet Shaw wouldn't have acted like that if he was barbecuing John instead of being skewered by him.

It's guys like Dennis Orcullo and Jayson Shaw who shouldn't play the game unless they intend to finish, and by finish, I mean to give it your all trying to win, not just get up there and throw your cue at the ball like a pissy baby girl.

Agreed, John is a great guy. He was having a crappy day, and after the proverbial slap in the face by Shaw got fed up with the event, and decided it made more sense to rest up and focus his attention in the pit... where he MIGHT make some money.

Grantstew

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Surely if your opponent has given up in the chair, then you go on and close the match out and move on to the next round.

Sloppy Pockets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
John Schmidt has been assessed a $300 unsportsmanlike conduct penalty which has been added to the prizes of the other 3 contestants who were eliminated in the first round.

Fair enough. And I hope somebody took Jayson aside and recommended that he not enter the event again if he can't take the game seriously. And keep his asshole social media comments to himself. Isn't that how Rodney got in trouble with Mark Griffin?

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's hard to criticize Shaw for just banging the balls around when that's how he always plays, and he plays so well.

Sloppy Pockets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Surely if your opponent has given up in the chair, then you go on and close the match out and move on to the next round.

That depends on how pissed off the guy made you.

I'm not defending John's actions. Surely, they did the correct thing to fine him for his actions. But let's not get up there and diss the game that your opponent is most proud of his accomplishments in. IMO Schmidt is the new Mosconi, but nobody cares about his game anymore. Shit, even if he was to run 600 on a tight Diamond he still wouldn't get the respect he deserves. So sad it's beyond belief, but that's pool for ya today.

Grantstew

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jayson Shaw ran 227 on Sunday, high run of the week in the 14-1 challenge I think.

Just for the folks saying he can't play the game lol

Sloppy Pockets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's hard to criticize Shaw for just banging the balls around when that's how he always plays, and he plays so well.

I'm sure John was aware of Jayson's playing style well ahead of this match. He's the flavor of the month everywhere that folks discuss pool. It had to be something bigger than Shaw just playing his game that tripped him off. I sure hope JS comes on here or on FB and explains his actions, there's got to be a lot more to it than what you imply.

Sloppy Pockets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jayson Shaw ran 227 on Sunday, high run of the week in the 14-1 challenge I think.

Just for the folks saying he can't play the game lol

That's just his natural ball running ability, that's not the actual game of 14.1.

I think too many folks get lost in this high run frenzy. Taking a flyer on a low percentage ball may be your only option in a high run contest, and if you fail, you just get another try. In a real game you just don't do that, any more than you see that in a one-pocket match.

There is a strategy to the game. It's not just set up a break shot and see how many crazy shots you can pull off before you miss and try again. In one-hole you get punished immediately for that kind of stupid play, in 14.1 you gotta squirm in your chair for 45 minutes while your opponent runs a dozen racks right in front of you.

JCIN

TheActionReport.com
Gold Member

Shaw didn't quit. If he displayed unsportsmanlike conduct then yes he should be held accountable. On a good day Jayson plays like he has a plane to catch. Posting on facebook during a match is no good IMO and could be handled simply by not allowing any electronic devices during a match.

I'm not here to hammer any individual player. That does absolutely nothing. Its a culture that has to change.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm sure John was aware of Jayson's playing style well ahead of this match. He's the flavor of the month everywhere that folks discuss pool. It had to be something bigger than Shaw just playing his game that tripped him off. I sure hope JS comes on here or on FB and explains his actions, there's got to be a lot more to it than what you imply.

It was probably the obvious: He scratched, and he was frustrated.

JCIN

TheActionReport.com
Gold Member

Good on you for taking action.

nineballsafety8

6ft 5" 285, hits 'em hard
Silver Member
this is what JS had to say on FB:

John Schmidt I backed out of set with Danny smith. I've had rough week and rough day. When I backed out ray started bad mouthing me. I'll make sure to never play anything on his camera table. He didn't see me and was bashing me bigtime. I think it was smart to back out because I'm on tilt right now and they bash me. Also ac Henry I wasn't inferring that u are drug addict . I'm just saying pro pool tourneys are complete degenerate convention and then I quit a match and people talk like I set this billion dollar pro pool tour back to the dark ages. Lol

11 hrs · Like · 12

Taken from Phil Cappelle's page (https://www.facebook.com/pcapelle1?fref=ts), there are other comments, but this sums up his reasoning why

Last edited: