1P question(s) for those who play the game

Thunderball

Auto rep for belly laughs
Silver Member
I've been playing some 1 hole lately.I love the game and have some of it down (execution needs some work though).Overall I've been playing pool for many years but this game is pretty new to me.

During one shot,my buddy hit his shot but in the "follow though" his cue stick hit a ball which hit another and pocketed in my hole? Not being sure what to do,I spotted it.Was that the thing to do?

Also I hear the term "1pocket moves" from time to time.
What exactly does that mean?Would it be possible for some true 1 hole players to diagram a few of shots they consider "moves" that a guy new to the game might not consider?
 
I think since its not a pocket scratch the ball would stay down but i could be wrong,but he would still be charged a ball for the offense,correct me if im wrong. :cool:
 
I would not allow it to stay down. It may be to my benifit to replace it to it's original positon.
This is one of those bad one pocket moves that could be talked about. It could be to his advantage for this ball not to be there. An easy way to get out of trouble.
 
This is one of those bad one pocket moves that could be talked about. It could be to his advantage for this ball not to be there. An easy way to get out of trouble.

Interesting point.

In this case it was an accident for sure,but I see what you mean.

Without "knowing" what to do I applied this logic:
If he "accidently" swept a ball into his hole with the side of his stick,I sure as hell wouldn't let it count,so why would it count for me?

Leaving it down in my hole and pulling one of his never occured to me,but again I really had no clue.
 
Your buddy moved 2 balls so it's considered a foul. Since the ball that was pocketed in your hole was pocketed during a foul, it spots up. He owes a ball for the foul also.
 
Well, you know there are generically two ways to play fouls. Fouls on all balls or fouls on cue ball only. Most often we all play cue ball fouls only and on situations where object balls are moved, it is up to the opponent of the person who moved the balls to either accept the balls as they lie, or replace them to as close as possible to where they were.

Since leaving the ball where it lies in your case means in the pocket, I would say its your choice to take the point or not. Of course since it isn't a foul, he could continue to shoot if a ball went in his pocket also.

just my take on it :)
 
gulfportdoc said:
According to the onepocket.org official rules, the shot is a foul, so the offender would owe a ball. The pocketed ball stays down, and counts for the opponent; and the opponent may decide whether or not to replace the disturbed balls back to their original postitions. See: http://www.onepocket.org/one_pocket_pool_rules.htm

Doc

How could the ball stay down if it was pocketed during a foul. Its the same as if your opponent has a ball hanging in his hole and you pocket the ball and jump the cue ball of the table. Any balls pocketed during a foul get spotted up, right??:confused:
 
ABall said:
How could the ball stay down if it was pocketed during a foul. Its the same as if your opponent has a ball hanging in his hole and you pocket the ball and jump the cue ball of the table. Any balls pocketed during a foul get spotted up, right??:confused:
There are pocket scratches and table scratches,jumping the ball or following the cue ball in are pocket scratches,a table scratch would be double hitting the cue ball or touching a ball.
 
gulfportdoc said:
According to the onepocket.org official rules, the shot is a foul, so the offender would owe a ball. The pocketed ball stays down, and counts for the opponent; and the opponent may decide whether or not to replace the disturbed balls back to their original postitions. See: http://www.onepocket.org/one_pocket_pool_rules.htm

Doc

Idon't doubt you at all, but I was surprised at the ruling. I would have thought when a foul is called and a ball owed, all pocketed balls would come up.

I'll get that old geezer at the pool hall tomorrow. Learn something new everyday.
 
Nobody answered his queation about moves. I can't figure out the WEI table or I would show a couple of moves. How bout one of you one-pocket players who can use the wei table show him a move or 2?
 
ironman said:
Idon't doubt you at all, but I was surprised at the ruling. I would have thought when a foul is called and a ball owed, all pocketed balls would come up.

I'll get that old geezer at the pool hall tomorrow. Learn something new everyday.
na na na....i see the rule lewis!! u aint pullin that one on me!!!!
 
ironman said:
Idon't doubt you at all, but I was surprised at the ruling. I would have thought when a foul is called and a ball owed, all pocketed balls would come up.

The rules make a little more sense when looked at in the context of their purpose. I believe the rules are worded that way to prevent an unethical endgame shot. Let's say your opponent has his game ball deep in the jaws of his hole, and there are open balls midtable. If you follow the ball in, they have ball in hand and can easily shoot one of the mid-table balls for the win. If the rules were like you originally thought, you could just make the hung ball while intentionally fouling (such as a double cueball hit, moving two balls, etc) and then the trouble ball spots up, one of yours spots up, and the cueball is now safe on the bottom rail. :eek:

I've had old timers try that move on me before, and it's one of the two rules I've seen the most arguments about during 1-pocket match ups.
 
To answer the OP's original question about moves, there are two types of "moves" discussed when it comes to 1-hole, and pool in general.

The first refers to cheating, sharking, and other unsavory and unethical behavior. An example would be when a player scratches, and they "accidentally" spot one of their oponents balls, rather than one of their own.

The second type of "move" includes any kind of creative shot that traps the opponent, baits them into a shooting a bad shot, or puts them in a bad situation. Moves can include an intentional foul, locking up the cueball, or sacrificing a ball to gain superior position. I would show some examples if I could use the wei table. The books "Winning One Pocket", and "Shots, Moves and Strategies" are full of great 1-hole moves and 1-hole information in general.
 
Thunderball said:
... Also I hear the term "1pocket moves" from time to time.
What exactly does that mean?Would it be possible for some true 1 hole players to diagram a few of shots they consider "moves" that a guy new to the game might not consider?
To me it is any shot that is far more likely to be played in one pocket than at any other game. When two balls are spotted and you have ball in hand, make either or both balls in your pocket. A ball is half an inch off the side rail on your side. Bank it one rail off the head rail back to your pocket. Bank a ball close to your pocket and freeze the cue ball on the side of the stack. Corner hook your opponent when pocketing a ball in a head pocket. Take a ball out of your opponent's pocket when it is real deep. Send the cue ball onto the floor when it is to your advantage. Play a ball to bank off the side rail, hit the foot rail, ticky off the bottom of a ball near the middle of the foot rail, and go in your pocket. Play a tough cut down the side rail from the kitchen and leave the cue ball behind a ball that was nearly hung in your opponent's pocket. From the jaws of your own pocket, bank the cue ball off the side rail to hit the side of the stack and move five balls towards your pocket. Play a thin hit on a ball and send the cue ball to freeze on the bad side of an object ball in the open table. After the break, make some similar billiard to leave the cue ball frozen to the back of a ball near your opponent's pocket. Bank at speeds and spins that leave the cue ball safe if you miss, and alway bank at a speed that leaves the object ball within a half a diamond of your pocket. Pinch and twist on banks. Two-rail banks. Three-rail banks. Four-rail banks. Five-rail banks. Spin banks with thin hits that leave the cue ball frozen on the head rail. Remove all five balls in front of your opponent's pocket in one shot. Play multiple balls towards your pocket using caroms, combinations, kisses and banks. Kicks and kick-banks. Kick to your opponent's pocket for safe. Lag up to the head rail for a safe without hitting anything.

Watch Efren and read Eddie Robin's books if you can find them.
 
The second type of "move" includes any kind of creative shot that traps the opponent, baits them into a shooting a bad shot, or puts them in a bad situation. Moves can include an intentional foul, locking up the cueball, or sacrificing a ball to gain superior position. I would show some examples if I could use the wei table. The books "Winning One Pocket", and "Shots, Moves and Strategies" are full of great 1-hole moves and 1-hole information in general.

That was my intentention.Sharking aint me.

Thanks for the detailed post Bob.

Maybe I should have asked for diagrams of great one pocket shots that posters have pulled off.I have the general principal down,but I often find myself at the table without a clue as to what to do next...but I know there is an answer,I just don't know what it is...
 
Last edited:
Lag up to the head rail for a safe without hitting anything.

This is legal?(just noticed this)...Can you just move the cue ball and nothing more?

To clarify...we have been playing "make a hit and a rail" or pocket as it were.No pushes.
 
Last edited:
desert1pocket said:
The rules make a little more sense when looked at in the context of their purpose. I believe the rules are worded that way to prevent an unethical endgame shot. Let's say your opponent has his game ball deep in the jaws of his hole, and there are open balls midtable. If you follow the ball in, they have ball in hand and can easily shoot one of the mid-table balls for the win. If the rules were like you originally thought, you could just make the hung ball while intentionally fouling (such as a double cueball hit, moving two balls, etc) and then the trouble ball spots up, one of yours spots up, and the cueball is now safe on the bottom rail. :eek:

I've had old timers try that move on me before, and it's one of the two rules I've seen the most arguments about during 1-pocket match ups.
This was exactly my point.
What mostly was your resolutions with the old timers when this situation came up?
 
desert1pocket said:
The rules make a little more sense when looked at in the context of their purpose. I believe the rules are worded that way to prevent an unethical endgame shot. Let's say your opponent has his game ball deep in the jaws of his hole, and there are open balls midtable. If you follow the ball in, they have ball in hand and can easily shoot one of the mid-table balls for the win. If the rules were like you originally thought, you could just make the hung ball while intentionally fouling (such as a double cueball hit, moving two balls, etc) and then the trouble ball spots up, one of yours spots up, and the cueball is now safe on the bottom rail. :eek:

I've had old timers try that move on me before, and it's one of the two rules I've seen the most arguments about during 1-pocket match ups.

Good explanation. I understand now, but I could see this causing huge arguments when you're actually playing at the pool hall. I try to avoid those at all cost, but some seem to always want to argue about things.
 
Back
Top