2 inch balls on 7ft bar box

ChicagoPete

Registered
Hi, I was wondering how much better using 2" balls vs the 2 1/4 inch that came w the table would be and which kind to get? I bought a very clean looking 1973 Valley and would like to get the right pool balls (preferably vintage) if it makes a good difference in play. I had it refelted with new bumpers but it doesnt play as good as most other bar tables Ive used in the past, the slate is thick and heavy, and stamped made in Italy. I cant recall the thickness because it was over a year but it was at least 3/4. I really dont play much on it because the table doesnt play that great. Im thinking I hired the wrong company to do the felt and bumpers or maybe... hopefully 2in balls will bring the table back to life. Any helpful advice would be appreciated.

UPDATE; You guys are total douchbags on here that run this site. I asked for help. A simple question how 2inch balls Aramith sells play on a 7ft table vs 2 1/4. I only asked because google suggests 2in not 2 1/4 on 7ft tables. You go on about me not using rails on cushions when I mispoke and even better.... hahahaha was USA regs for my bar box table! Then you cut out my response from the thread to make yourself look good. Total douchebags, wish you all the same helpful advice next time you take your car in for service or anything expensive you ask for help with. And when youre thinking this douchbag is wasting my time and money realize you desreve it. Please cancel my account! Karmas a ***** and heading your way!

Last edited:

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi, I was wondering how much better using 2" balls vs the 2 1/4 inch that came w the table would be and which kind to get? I bought a very clean looking 1973 Valley and would like to get the right pool balls (preferably vintage) if it makes a good difference in play. I had it refelted with new bumpers but it doesnt play as good as most other bar tables Ive used in the past, the slate is thick and heavy, and stamped made in Italy. I cant recall the thickness because it was over a year but it was at least 3/4. I really dont play much on it because the table doesnt play that great. Im thinking I hired the wrong company to do the felt and bumpers or maybe... hopefully 2in balls will bring the table back to life. Any helpful advice would be appreciated.

Vintage balls would play worse than new ones. Why do you think smaller balls would be better? Smaller balls would be easier to play with for sure but that is not really "better". Going by the fact that you called the rails "bumpers" you may want to find someone to check out the table for you to let you know exactly what the issue may be. Maybe an AZer that lives near you or some other good local player that knows what is what. I am assuming things a bit here, but really no good player that knows equipment calls the rails bumpers, so just guessing you may need a second opinion about your setup to get it playing properly. It may even be what you think does not play good actually does and you are just used to something not as nice, but it needs to be looked at in person or at least post a video of how the rails and table reacts to shots.

Last edited:

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If the table was built to accommodate a certain size ball, I wouldn't change the size, unless changing the railing to match. But I am not a mechanic

SpiderWeb

iisgone@yahoo.com
Silver Member
You can get snooker balls in the size you want. The rail will touch higher on the smaller balls so that may make a difference.

ChicagoPete

Registered
Vintage balls would play worse than new ones. Why do you think smaller balls would be better? Smaller balls would be easier to play with for sure but that is not really "better". Going by the fact that you called the rails "bumpers" you may want to find someone to check out the table for you to let you know exactly what the issue may be. Maybe an AZer that lives near you or some other good local player that knows what is what. I am assuming things a bit here, but really no good player that knows equipment calls the rails bumpers, so just guessing you may need a second opinion about your setup to get it playing properly. It may even be what you think does not play good actually does and you are just used to something not as nice, but it needs to be looked at in person or at least post a video of how the rails

2 inch balls are recommended for 7ft tables but never paid much attention before because it wasnt my table it was some bars table. I called them bumpers because Im jet lagged and didnt think some douche would waste my time w assumptions or lectures on proper terms. But its the internet and I should of known better to post anything online when Im overtired but its a nice table I should get it up to par.

To the rest of the guys, thank you for your suggestions without any BS. I was mainly thinking a 1/4 of an inch might make quite a difference on the play of the table Im not thrillled with and figured someone here might know the difference in play with 2" or 2 1/8 compared to the 2 1/4 Im using w the 7ft table now. I like vintage because like most things older quality is usually always better which is why the 1973 table I bought is built like a tank. Basically it comes down to the table is level but doesnt play as good as it should and I know because I spent years playing 3 nights a week in leagues until a few years ago. Im looking learn what other guys have done to improve play on bar boxes they brought home.

Last edited:

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Vintage balls would play worse than new ones. Why do you think smaller balls would be better? Smaller balls would be easier to play with for sure but that is not really "better". Going by the fact that you called the rails "bumpers" you may want to find someone to check out the table for you to let you know exactly what the issue may be. Maybe an AZer that lives near you or some other good local player that knows what is what. I am assuming things a bit here, but really no good player that knows equipment calls the rails bumpers, so just guessing you may need a second opinion about your setup to get it playing properly. It may even be what you think does not play good actually does and you are just used to something not as nice, but it needs to be looked at in person or at least post a video of how the rails

2 inch balls are recommended for 7ft tables but never paid much attention before because it wasnt my table it was some bars table. I called them bumpers because Im jet lagged and didnt think some douche would waste my time w assumptions or lectures on proper terms. But its the internet and I should of known better to post anything online when Im overtired but its a nice table I should get it up to par.

To the rest of the guys, thank you for your suggestions without any BS. I was mainly thinking a 1/4 of an inch might make quite a difference on the play of the table Im not thrillled with and figured someone here might know the difference in play with 2" or 2 1/8 compared to the 2 1/4 Im using w the 7ft table now. I like vintage because like most things older quality is usually always better which is why the 1973 table I bought is built like a tank. Basically it comes down to the table is level but doesnt play as good as it should and I know because I spent years playing 3 nights a week in leagues until a few years ago. Im looking learn what other guys have done to improve play on bar boxes they brought home.

2 inch balls aren’t recommended for 7ft tables, unless you’re talking about English 8-Ball tables. Although it doesn’t sound like much, that 0.25 of an inch makes a huge difference.

For example, English 8-Ball usually involves cue tip sizes of 8.5mm - 9.75mm (although admittedly the cue ball is 1 7/8 inches) and the rail height and style are totally different.

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I called them bumpers because Im jet lagged and didnt think some douche would waste my time w assumptions or lectures on proper terms. But its the internet and I should of known better to post anything online when Im overtired but its a nice table I should get it up to par.

The guy took time to reply, and likely because you called them bumpers instead of rails, he probably thought you were ignorant regarding pool tables, thus he tried to explain it to you in a manner that you would understand, and you call him a douche for offering advice to your question.

realkingcobra

Silver Member

Sorry, don't know where you're getting your information from, but 7ft Valley bar tables were never designed for balls of any other size than the 2 1/4" balls, not in America.

ChicagoPete

Registered
I pointed out the douche move outweighed anything he said.

I dont mind being ignorant, if I wasnt I wouldnt be asking a question online but whos got time to listen assumptions in a condescending tone? So much time is wasted with people acting like that in pool rooms and in forums.

Typing in "What size pool balls" into Google will give a link to their "what size pool balls do I need" and if you click the link it will read:

2 & 1/4 inch balls are full size for use on full size American Pool tables. 2 inch balls are usually used with 7 foot tables. 1 & 7/8 inch balls tend to be used with 6 foot tables.
Mastersofgames.com › cat › pub › p...
Pool Balls - Aramith & Economy Pool Balls - Masters Traditional Games

Hoping to find someone whos tried different sizes balls on their 7ft table and learn what they learned. I already spent $450 with new felt and cushions. But as I said earlier maybe I hired the wrong company. They have been around over 60 years so figured I was good but Ive played pool on many tables and know the difference on a good running table but Im ignorant on why tables run better than others because I never worked on them. I figured Id get a guick answer or a good link here. Ive ignored the table because Ive been busy but now that Im getting closer to finishing up building the bar I know I have to address the issue I have with the table.

Last edited:

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I pointed out the douche move out weighed any info given. I dont mind being ignorant, if I wasnt I wouldnt be asking a question but whos got time to listen assumptions in a condescending tone? So much time is wasted with people acting like that in pool rooms and in forums.

Typing in "What size pool balls" into Google will give a link to their "what size pool balls do I need" and up on the screen will read:

2 & 1/4 inch balls are full size for use on full size American Pool tables. 2 inch balls are usually used with 7 foot tables. 1 & 7/8 inch balls tend to be used with 6 foot tables.

Hoping to find someone whos tried different sizes balls on their 7ft table and learn what they learned. I already spent $450 with new felt and cushions. But as I said earlier maybe I hired the wrong company. They have been around over 60 years so figured I was good but Ive played pool on many tables and know the difference on a good running table but Im ignorant on why tavles run better than others because I never worked on them.

https://www.homeleisuredirect.com/p...rences-between-english-and-american-pool.html

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I pointed out the douche move out weighed any info given. I dont mind being ignorant, if I wasnt I wouldnt be asking a question but whos got time to listen assumptions in a condescending tone? So much time is wasted with people acting like that in pool rooms and in forums.

Typing in "What size pool balls" into Google will give a link to their "what size pool balls do I need" and up on the screen will read:

Hoping to find someone whos tried different sizes balls on their 7ft table and learn what they learned. I already spent $450 with new felt and cushions. But as I said earlier maybe I hired the wrong company. They have been around over 60 years so figured I was good but Ive played pool on many tables and know the difference on a good running table but Im ignorant on why tavles run better than others because I never worked on them.

American pool has always been played with 2 1/4" balls.

spliced

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don’t listen to what you found there on google. That info is wrong. If you aren’t using 2 1/4” balls, you aren’t playing pool. Also, the height of your cushions are designed for 2 1/4” balls to rebound correctly. If you put 2” balls on your regular pool table, the balls will actually go under the nose of the cushion and will not rebound correctly. Again, whoever put that info on google was mistaken or referring specifically to English billiards.

If you want a good set of vintage pool balls, get a set of older Brunswick Centennial balls that are in very nice condition (not heavily used).

If a better set of balls does not make you feel the table is playing better, hire a different company to come out and take a look. The only other issues could be cloth (you may want to try something fast like Simonis 860) or your rail rubber may be old and need replaced.

Last edited:

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
I pointed out the douche move outweighed anything he said.

I dont mind being ignorant, if I wasnt I wouldnt be asking a question online but whos got time to listen assumptions in a condescending tone? So much time is wasted with people acting like that in pool rooms and in forums.

And yet, one of the biggest authorities on pool tables answered your question and you still want to insist you are right.

So, you really didn't come here to find answers, but to make a statement that 7 foot tables play with 2" balls. Well, you'll be wrong no matter how many times you say it.

ChicagoPete

Registered
American pool has always been played with 2 1/4" balls.

Maybe if we all say it.

So youre saying the

2 inch

and

2 1/8 inch pool table balks you play 8 or 9 ball on are made for tables outside of the US?

You are right 2 1/4 are the regulation size pool balls played on regulation sized tables in the USA.

Im asking about a smaller size table because thats what I own in my house.

Im asking what the difference in play is between the 3 pool ball sizes Aramith sells when played on a 7 foot table?

Im not asking about USA regulations.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Maybe if you used the correct terms, did not think you should use different size balls on different tables, and did not think older ball sets would be better people would not assume you needed advice past what you asked. It just seemed you did not know much about pool so I suggested you find someone that did and have them check on your table instead of struggling yourself without knowing what you should be looking at. Name calling as a first response shows you are just a rude person in addition to not knowing things about pool. The ball sizes are the same for all tables outside of toy ones, 7 or 8 or 9 foot does not matter. Speaking of wasting people's time, thanks for giving me a heads up about your attitude so I can just block you on the forum and not waste my time helping next question you have.

Last edited:

Buzzard II

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Funny, when I read the first post I thought the same thing as Hang did. The word "felt" caused me to think CP was a geezer like me or just unaware there too. The changes in language usage over the years does that. Hang the Nine was trying to help. And this is the second time in a week I have to say RKC has been helpful and controlled himself. Good for you Glen. Mellow is better.