$2000 Bank Bend Challenge

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
First of all, there are a few ways of doing this. I could have spent a whole lot of time and did the whole thing in CGI like the clip posted earlier (guy making all the balls in one shot). It's not terribly hard, just super time consuming to make it look right.

So for this, I did it the old fashion VFX way. I really did shoot it on my iPhone, my good cameras are at work. So the quality was already going to suffer but it's just for fun so whatever. Minimal camera movement makes things easier, so I needed to plan it out. I wanted to move the camera to throw you an extra curve ball but I needed to do things in a certain sequence, to make things easier on myself.

So first I lined up each to masse into the pocket. I needed to do this first to limit camera movement.

Xq1nAp4.png

So I masse'd each of the balls into the pocket, just give them a little twist. So once they're all in the pocket, I came over to talk to the camera without any camera movement.

ZZuWhJD.png

Then, again with no camera movement, I banked three balls over towards the pocket. If you notice, there are hole reinforcers on the table. I used those as reference to where I did the masse shots, so I made sure to shoot the same 3, 5, 6 and 7 at the appropriate donut. I also banked in numerical order so I didn't forget lol

gmB6MqW.png

So, after I banked all three balls and did my talking, I move the camera (which really was an iPhone on top of a garbage). As you can see, all of the balls I banked, are still on the table. Again, I wasn't trying to make them, only aim at the donuts and get the object ball movement into the rail.

mpG0P3Y.png

So now, again without touching the camera, I go over and masse the 7 into the pocket like the others. Then come around and shoot the cueball into the 7 at the same hole reinforcer that I masse'd the ball from.

MPANp7J.png

So now I bring everything into the computer. For this technique, I only really need to use the application Adobe After Effects.

In After Effects, I edit things together roughly so that it's only in a linear story that makes sense. Because I filmed things slightly out of order, I need to now chop it up and back to how I want you to watch it.

Now I got to each shot that I bank into the rail and erase the ball once it hits the rail. This is done by layering a blank shot of the table with the shot of me banking. Once it hits the rail, I layer the blank table on top and use/animate "masks" for what I want and don't want you to see.

sHAVWeV.png

Now, using the same layering technique, I add the masse shot for each, at the time when each of the shots in the rail. I then take these shots and cut everything but the ball out, using a feathered mask that tracks with the ball into the pocket. I do this whole things for each of the 4 shots. It's not very hard just takes time. Because I used an iPhone, the lighting would automatically adjust which made matching the layers tricky and you can probably see some of my mistakes.

ZfZw1VJ.png

Now for the tricky part. I moved the camera. While moving the camera, all of the balls I had banked are still on the table. I probably should have removed them before moving the camera but I wasn't thinking. So, I needed to remove these balls in post. So I tracked the camera movement. The Xs on the screen here represent the data from where in 3d space things are. If you saw this from the top or side view, you would see the room laid out in dots and the depth of the room. It's just telling me where the camera was and in relation, where all of the objects it's able to detect are in space. With that data, I can map things onto the 3ball or the 5 ball, the rail or even the liquor bottles on that counter back there. (BTW, I just bought this house and the basement is under construction. Don't judge, the people had an older kitchen in the basement) But anyway lol... With this data, i was able to track cloth over the pool balls on the table and make it look decent. I actually didn't do a great job because the iPhone didn't handle the lighting well. Either way, it was fine and convincible enough.

If I would have done the whole video hand held and not resting on the trashcan, I would have needed to camera track the entire scene and would have made things 10000% harder, but 10000% more believable.

oxvb11J.png

So that's pretty much how I did this video. It probably won't make a ton of sense and you need an application like After Effects and years of experience to make it look legit. Like I said, I remember in like 12th grade making a video of me kicking a basketball about 60 yards into a hoop. I did basically the same thing with my limited knowledge and that was about 15 years ago. Fastfoward, I now do similar work for a living, just a different application. Again, it's not super hard, just not that easy to wrap your head around compositing it all together and most of that comes with experience.

So honestly, Bob's attempt wasn't that far off it's just a lot more complicated than that. He got the layering part down, just doesn't know how to mask or track and isn't using the proper tools.

Last edited:

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
What's awesome is the amount of skill and knowledge it takes to pull off this kind of video. This is far more difficult to pull off than Cleary is letting on. He kept his video script 100% believable. Who would think a smartphone video could be filmed and edited this cleanly and to this extent?

Thanks Cleary for pulling our collective weenies!

Last edited:

Luxury

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great read. So bummed that I never got to see the first vid. Can you please post it again?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sixwillwin

King of the Meadow
Silver Member
This thread turned from a pissing contest and waste of time to a pretty darn good thing! thanks all involved! I may have learned something!

john coloccia

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dave, if you and Bob do a lot of this sort of work....photo work, layouts, video editing etc, you could do a lot worse than to get a subscription to Adobe's Creative Cloud. I'm not an artist, but I need to be able to do all sorts of photo editing, silk screen layouts, video editing, web site layout stuff, etc for my business, and Creative Cloud is the bomb. You get practically everything they make.

And then you can tie it all together with:

www.infiniteskills.com

It's a cheap subscription, and they have some of the best tutorials on the web for an amazing array of applications, from CAD to PhotoShop to game programming.

A lot of the time I use animated masks for far more boring applications, like if I happen to accidentally flash a piece of sensitive data like a customer name or something like that as I'm panning a camera, I add just enough blur so that no one notices it's blurred, but you can't actually read it.

Hey, Cleary: I let you get under my skin. If Dave and Bob can be gracious about it, I can too. Thanks for the tutorial. I didn't know there was a way to automatically track camera movement. I knew all of the balls were still on the table somewhere. Couldn't figure out how you got rid of them in a reasonable way.

mmwtdh

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cleary,

This is the most fun I've had on this site in years.

Thanks for the "keep us coming back" and let us know how it works....

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
cleary,

Thank you for your awesome illustrated summary of how you created your "cheat" videos. This is definitely well beyond what Bob or I could have attempted; although, our split-screen idea was very easy to pull off. It could have been much better if Bob had been more careful with the camera view, the ball position on the cushion, and the trimming and syncing of the clips.

Thanks again for the education. I appreciate it, and I will be happy to send you the $200 if nobody tops my lame entry by the end of tomorrow. Please PM or e-mail me your PayPal address if you have one; otherwise, we can work out something else.

Thanks again,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
FYI, for easy future reference, I've added links to both your video and your excellent explanation on the bank-bend challenge page (which I will leave up, even after the challenge is over).

Again, excellent work!

cleary,

Thank you for your awesome illustrated summary of how you created your "cheat" videos. This is definitely well beyond what Bob or I could have attempted; although, our split-screen idea was very easy to pull off. It could have been much better if Bob had been more careful with the camera view, the ball position on the cushion, and the trimming and syncing of the clips.

Thanks again for the education. I appreciate it, and I will be happy to send you the $200 if nobody tops my lame entry by the end of tomorrow. Please PM or e-mail me your PayPal address if you have one; otherwise, we can work out something else.

Thanks again,
Dave

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The tutorial was only for his second video, not the original video.

So that first video was obviously real then right? :) ;) :)

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
cleary,

Thanks again,
Dave

Glad you enjoyed it and learned something, and hopefully understand where I was coming from the whole time.

And funds received will go to charity and I'll match it.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Glad you enjoyed it and learned something, and hopefully understand where I was coming from the whole time.

And funds received will go to charity and I'll match it.

Is Charity going to use the money for her college textbooks?

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
He is being nicer now, so I will do my best to forget and forgive his previous "approach."

I think he would appreciate the $200 more, so we'll just stick with that.

IMO, you are grossly exaggerating the marketing effectiveness of AZB forum activity, but I appreciate your "great pool DVDs" statement anyway.

Regards,
Dave

PS: BTW, did you believe that cleary's first video was real when he first posted it? It seems like you might have, based on your earlier post in the thread, but maybe I read it wrong.

Based upon everything that I have ever read or seen about Cleary's skill level at pool, I play slightly better than he does and I could never accomplish even close to what he demonstrated in his first video but it was "incredible and I have never seen anything like that."

JoeyA

Luxury

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Watching that is worthless. The object ball disappears before it even passes the tube. Maybe it's my phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mkbtank

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fun thread. You are skilled Cleary. Loved the "On the Road" references lol. Paying,Matching and donating is nice of both parties!

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
Cleary, what is next, a 527 straight pool run?

Enjoyed the video, you have some mad talent.

:smile: