2012 AZ Billiards Straight Pool Challenge!

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
3 runs like yours in one practice session are very strong. congrats:)

lg
Ingo

Merci, the fast cloth made a huge difference. I'm so used to playing on dirty slow cloth and really having to power breakshots to get any real action. But on the fast cloth the balls were really opening up. In the last rack of my 76 I was certain that I was gonna break 100, but I let up concentration and missed a silly shot into the side pocket.

DASHZNT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I put together a 15 ball run earlier this evening (01.23.2012). I ran a complete rack with some nice shots out of the rack and then hit the break shot for the next rack although I did not knock anything out for a makeable shot. Its not much compared to the field, but it sure is nice to get out of the bottom of this list... DASHZNT - (Nathan Tavarez)... Thank You.

DASHZNT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oh, and after my run finished, Louie Lockhart ran off a 53 on the table next to me.. That was pretty darn kool to witness!

jalapus logan

be all. and supports it to
Silver Member
Well, sad to say the best I've been able to muster is a a 42 today. Had great position for a textbook breakshot to go into the 4th rack, and butchered the shot. I'm sure at least some here know how that feels...

David_Smith

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just ran a 225 at hardtimes on my 9ft.diamond pro.16 racks and made my break shot and went 2 rails into the rack and had no shot.a few key notes that I wanted to share also.4.5 inch pockets,cloth almost new about 10 days old,balls were polished when I started my attempts and this run was on my 4th attempt,and I never marked the cue ball and cleaned it.I feel this would be around a 350 on a gold crown.will try again on Tuesday.

Keep up the great shooting Bobby, I'd like to see you in some of these tournament videos or just a run video.

Notes on my run of 91... not a deep shelf but corner and side pockets slightly under 4 and 4.5 inche, cloth was installed new near end of 20th century removed and reinstalled a few years ago after move, balls pollished a little maybe a year ago and I never cleaned the cueball. What do you think that could be worth on a Diamond or larger pocket Brunswick with new cloth if I don't choke at the higher numbers cuz I haven't really played straights on anything but the small pockets?

And yeah, I've learned to hate the two rail break shot lol.

jalapus logan

be all. and supports it to
Silver Member
Keep up the great shooting Bobby, I'd like to see you in some of these tournament videos or just a run video.

Notes on my run of 91... not a deep shelf but corner and side pockets slightly under 4 and 4.5 inche, cloth was installed new near end of 20th century removed and reinstalled a few years ago after move, balls pollished a little maybe a year ago and I never cleaned the cueball. What do you think that could be worth on a Diamond or larger pocket Brunswick with new cloth if I don't choke at the higher numbers cuz I haven't really played straights on anything but the small pockets?

And yeah, I've learned to hate the two rail break shot lol.

Yeah, what's my 42 worth on the Diamond Pro I am playing on? That's like running at least 330 on any other table, right!?!???? :D

Vahmurka

...and I get all da rolls
Silver Member
Jan 27, inspired by DCC challenge matches, Ralf vs Mika and John vs Johnny, played a bit, managed to run several 14s (keep missing break balls, duh) and once a 17. So please put me up with that number.

mmasou

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had a 32 in practice yesterday, leveled my personal best.

i was set to dive into the 40's with a fairly open table but i got stressed after I hit 30 and then went on to miss a shot ...

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
One of the hardest things is *to stop counting the balls* :) you put yourself pressure- always remember: These are all things you create yourself! Try to just enjoy the game. Just count racks. put a coin under the rail at a diamond-and then just go one diamond further, if you cleared a rack.

gogo- 3rd rack is calling your name :)

lg
Ingo

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
One of the hardest things is *to stop counting the balls* :) you put yourself pressure- always remember: These are all things you create yourself! Try to just enjoy the game. Just count racks. put a coin under the rail at a diamond-and then just go one diamond further, if you cleared a rack.

gogo- 3rd rack is calling your name :)

lg
Ingo

I absolutely agree, my highest run last year came when I wasn't even counting the racks, just living from position to position. The unfortunate drawback is I couldn't report it as I didn't know what run was, just a ballpark haha.

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
Cameron,
sure it is very nice if you can video something like that. I was also sad, that there was no cam running.

But at least it s just for yourself- such a new high run, or just a nice run which satisfied yourself brings you a lot. If something makes YOU happy and satisfied..thats what counts.

lg
Ingo

iralee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
54 run and a renewed interest

Years ago, at the Student Union on my college campus in Troy, NY, I used to rack the balls for a local gentleman named Dick "Butch" Leonard who would routinely run hundreds upon hundreds of balls on me. That was a time (before I got sucked over to the "dark side") when I was very excited about straight pool, but I stopped playing before ever achieving the 100 goal post.

Anyway, out of the blue, last night one of the great house-guys at Society Billiards asked me to shoot some straight pool together. I missed my first couple of break shots and fell behind somewhat before I mustered two thirty-somethings to get back within one rack behind. At 104, I got some favorable open-style breaks and finished with 46 and out. My very gracious opponent let me finish the run and I missed a few shots later (on an open rack) at 54.

It's not a lot, but all of a sudden, I feel like wanting to try again and exceed the goal... thanks to the fine folks over at Society.

-Ira

David_Smith

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Years ago, at the Student Union on my college campus in Troy, NY, I used to rack the balls for a local gentleman named Dick "Butch" Leonard who would routinely run hundreds upon hundreds of balls on me. That was a time (before I got sucked over to the "dark side") when I was very excited about straight pool, but I stopped playing before ever achieving the 100 goal post.

Anyway, out of the blue, last night one of the great house-guys at Society Billiards asked me to shoot some straight pool together. I missed my first couple of break shots and fell behind somewhat before I mustered two thirty-somethings to get back within one rack behind. At 104, I got some favorable open-style breaks and finished with 46 and out. My very gracious opponent let me finish the run and I missed a few shots later (on an open rack) at 54.

It's not a lot, but all of a sudden, I feel like wanting to try again and exceed the goal... thanks to the fine folks over at Society.

-Ira

One of the old time players in our old room once told me it takes a. damn good player to run 50.

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
One of the old time players in our old room once told me it takes a. damn good player to run 50.

100 % with you, 50 is already a nice number-
imo it s much more worth to *make* constantly 30s, 40 s, and 50 s than once in half a year a high number.
It gives you the necessary self-confidence that you re able to do it ANY time-
And once you re on that level, where you really make a lot s of 30s, 40s, 50s (also in competition) you re just close to make the next bigger step.

Railbird Hero

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have run 48. I still have yet to hit that half century mark. The worst part is I could have made it to 50 but went for a shot that I though was the trouble ball in the rack. My friend then told me 48. I probably would have shot two easier balls just to finally say I got 50. I wish more people played 14.1, I love seeing this thread and I wish everyone luck on braking their own records and setting new milestones.
Shoot Well, and enjoy the game.
Cheers.
Catski1/Felix/Railbird Hero.

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
Heyaaah Catski :)

good to have you here onboard my friend- was very nice to have you in the Accustats PPV Chatroom as a Mod!

lg
Ingo

14-1StraightMan

High Run 127
Silver Member
Finally

Just ran 105. Missed a side pocket shot that was a hard backwards cut to end the run. I had hit the rack twice prior to this shot & hardly any balls came out of the rack.
I do believe that I had better runs this year twice but I had lost count of the racks. All other runs are between 1 & 105......
Sorry Stevie, no video.

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
Hi Mikey,

same procedure as every year....lol...-
Great job Sir! :)

lg
Ingo :)

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
Just ran 105. Missed a side pocket shot that was a hard backwards cut to end the run. I had hit the rack twice prior to this shot & hardly any balls came out of the rack.
I do believe that I had better runs this year twice but I had lost count of the racks. All other runs are between 1 & 105......
Sorry Stevie, no video.

Tap, Tap, Tap......Well done sir !!!!

you're killing me mikey with the no video !!

-Steve