2014 us open unpaid prize money

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
Here are some questions that it seems I and a number or others have and would like to have answers to from the WPA:

- Considering Barry Behrman's very long and very extensive history of problems paying the players when promised and for the full amounts promised, why was the 2014 US Open sanctioned by the WPA?

- Why did the WPA not at least insist on escrow for all promised purse money (including all "guaranteed added" money) as a condition for their sanctioning?

- Does the WPA personally guarantee payment of the full promised prize fund for the events they sanction, and is there a point at which they would make those payments themselves? If so, what is that point?

- What is the WPA doing or planning to do to assist in getting paid in full and as soon as possible all the unpaid players from this past US Open?

- Considering Barry Behrman's very long and very extensive history of non and/or partial payments and extremely slow payments, does the WPA plan to make escrow a condition of sanctioning for all of Barry Behrman's future events?

For those that have similar or other questions, you can submit your questions or concerns to the WPA here. Answers aren't likely to be forthcoming unless we start to ask directly:
http://www.wpa-pool.com/web/contact

One of the WPA board members, Skip Nemecek, is in Chicago. Perhaps someone here knows him and can also pass on a request for a public statement from the WPA that addresses the situation at hand and the questions above. There seems to be a pretty good amount of public interest in the answers.
http://www.wpa-pool.com/web/board_of_directors

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
So WPA sanctioning means the founder of the US Open makes the rules and manages the money.

The only advantage of WPA sanction is they get a membership fee from the US Open founder. In exchange they keep track of how players place at events.

Not much of a sanctioning body, if they don't regulate, enforce or even document offenses from tournament operators against players.

The WPA just lets people know which events to play in, and which events help establish their reputation.

The WPA are they afraid to take action by documenting tournaments that fail to pay on time or fail to pay in full?

Or have they established guidelines for tournaments that fail to distribute cash? No prizes paid, prizes paid late, penalty.

Just like how players have to pay a late fee for signing up late to a tournament.

justnum

Silver Member
xxxxxxxxxxxx

Great so if your not a new organizers you can do whatever you want. The US Open is not a new organizer.

Even if you are a new organizer, "being advised by the WPA" can be as simple as saying the money isn't in the bank, so if you paid hotel, entry fee and sacrificed your time, play at your own risk.

That isn't a guideline for what the WPA will do to organizers that fail to meet pre-determined obligations like advertised prize payouts, which apparently don't have any deadlines.

If the WPA is just interested in keeping people happy, they might as well keep the rules the same, just add penalties against organizers so that can bring in more dollars.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JCIN, do you know if as of today Shane has been paid in full for:

2012?
2013?
2014?

I know in the past it has taken Barry sometimes about a year to pay first place completely.

PINKLADY

ICNBB
Silver Member
I gotta say I'm impressed with your heart. You're really going off on that one!

hey - i'll have you know that i have won $1.00, every day, since last THU!
:dance::dance:
what's the OVER/UNDER on payment by FRI @ 4pmEST?

PINKLADY

ICNBB
Silver Member
Here are some questions that it seems I and a number or others have and would like to have answers to from the WPA:

- Considering Barry Behrman's very long and very extensive history of problems paying the players when promised and for the full amounts promised, why was the 2014 US Open sanctioned by the WPA?

- Why did the WPA not at least insist on escrow for all promised purse money (including all "guaranteed added" money) as a condition for their sanctioning?

- Does the WPA personally guarantee payment of the full promised prize fund for the events they sanction, and is there a point at which they would make those payments themselves? If so, what is that point?

- What is the WPA doing or planning to do to assist in getting paid in full and as soon as possible all the unpaid players from this past US Open?

- Considering Barry Behrman's very long and very extensive history of non and/or partial payments and extremely slow payments, does the WPA plan to make escrow a condition of sanctioning for all of Barry Behrman's future events?

For those that have similar or other questions, you can submit your questions or concerns to the WPA here. Answers aren't likely to be forthcoming unless we start to ask directly:
http://www.wpa-pool.com/web/contact

One of the WPA board members, Skip Nemecek, is in Chicago. Perhaps someone here knows him and can also pass on a request for a public statement from the WPA that addresses the situation at hand and the questions above. There seems to be a pretty good amount of public interest in the answers.
http://www.wpa-pool.com/web/board_of_directors

i spent time today on the WPA's site & googling for a US phone #. there isn't one. the closest contacts are Skip Nemecek (Chicago), and Jerry Forsyth (BCA Board member).

perhaps the bigger question is - HOW MANY POINTS DID THE WPA PULL FROM "SANCTIONING" THIS EVENT, AND DID THEY GET PAID?

leminhnam

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I got a response from WPA :)
4fb3c1d07a9ebe6ba631e6ba5d53b617.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

leminhnam

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Barry doesn't know what the situation is. He will look to it. :))

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
:scratchhead:

Is this a case where you need to cash your check as quick as
possible before the well goes dry?

All the checks were written around the same day and the money
was supposed to be there. So there was some money there and
most of the players cashed their checks with no problem, then the
well must of gone dry.

Hope you still have the check and wait for a rainy day.....

:crying:

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
:scratchhead:

Is this a case where you need to cash your check as quick as
possible before the well goes dry?

All the checks were written around the same day and the money
was supposed to be there. So there was some money there and
most of the players cashed their checks with no problem, then the
well must of gone dry.

Hope you still have the check and wait for a rainy day.....

:crying:

When you are in Viet Nam, there is just no way to be the early bird. Next time start early-I doubt the date will noticed and it might not mean anything either.

justnum

Silver Member
Did you read the part in Red ?

It was under the heading -----------> ESCROW (Also in Red)

Besides "New Organizers" it went on to say.
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
It will also apply to any organizer/promoter who hasn’t met his prize money payouts within a reasonable time period after the tournament has ended.

So according to their on rules there should be escrow for the Open.

"If the funds have not been secured in escrow within the time period, the WPA is obligated to advise the players of the situation."

Even if the escrow has not been secured it doesn't mean the WPA will take action against the organizer.

The tournament still gets sanctioned but the organizer is not penalized.

The WPA advising the players is great but the US Open founder is taking advantage of that loosely defined situation.

Failure to pay on time or in full, should result in a Sanctioning Penalty and risk for losing sanctioned status.

The WPA sanction means international and national levels players participate in the event bringing in a decent amount of player entry (and fans to watch) to the tournament.
The WPA is in the right to penalize a tournament operator financially.

Last edited:

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
If there is one legit reason Barry won't/can't put all the payouts in escrow is that a lot of the sponsors and ticket sales come in to him up to 90 days after the "OPEN". Having no money of his own to put in escrow while waiting for the monies from sponsors is just another reason Barry is the wrong person to run this Tournament. Johnnyt

bfdlad

T-Wheels
Silver Member
Great so if your not a new organizers you can do whatever you want. The US Open is not a new organizer.

Even if you are a new organizer, "being advised by the WPA" can be as simple as saying the money isn't in the bank, so if you paid hotel, entry fee and sacrificed your time, play at your own risk.

That isn't a guideline for what the WPA will do to organizers that fail to meet pre-determined obligations like advertised prize payouts, which apparently don't have any deadlines.

If the WPA is just interested in keeping people happy, they might as well keep the rules the same, just add penalties against organizers so that can bring in more dollars.

Although adding penalties is common with most governing bodies in this case I don't think its realistic. If the players cant get paid what makes you think the WPA would get its penalty money?

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
Although adding penalties is common with most governing bodies in this case I don't think its realistic. If the players cant get paid what makes you think the WPA would get its penalty money?

Good point. And while stiff penalties would certainly be fully deserved, I think the players and fans alike would be completely happy with and perhaps also best served by the WPA just simply making advance escrow of all guaranteed prize funds a condition for any future sanctioning of any of Barry Behrman's events for all of eternity (because he has proven he can never be trusted again, even if he were to do it the right way with no problems for a year or two).

And to be clear, by escrow I mean an account that Barry has no control over, as was apparently the case in 2013. If Barry has any control over the account then it does not in any way serve the purpose for which it is needed and intended.