2015 AZB Ghost Challenge - Official Thread

Gerry Williams

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice shooting.

What software do you use to edit and insert text into your videos?

Happy New Year!

Gerry

Here's the best I could do over about 6 hours today:

7-2 W (78%), dr_dave, 1/3/15, 8' Connelly, 4.75", video

I had a rocky start (2-2), then I found a gear and ran 5 straight. I think 7-0 should be doable on my table. I'll keep trying. It's great practice.

FYI, I edited out the dead time and sped up the rack transitions to make viewing more enjoyable (and to make the upload much faster). The video is only 8 minutes long.

Regards,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Nice, Dave.
Thanks.

I'm curious as to what everyone's thoughts are on edited videos. Seeing as how videos themselves aren't a requirement, I can see it being okay. However, personally, I'm against them.

It's not even so much the notion that trickery can be done, which I am in no way implying was done in Dave's video. I just like to see how everyone paces themselves. When do they walk around to check the angles? Pre shot routines. Stuff like that gets missed on edited videos.
I generally also like seeing all of the stuff between shots, especially with top players, but for something like this I prefer the faster viewing (although, it does take software and time to prep the video).

Regards,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
OP updated! Thanks for the contribution!
You're welcome, and thanks for the good thread.

I know it's a lot of work editing out dead time between shots, so thanks for that.
I hope others consider doing this also. The video uploads a lot faster and an 8 minute video is easier to watch than a 45 minute video for most people, especially the younger generation.

Catch you later,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Nice shooting.
Thanks Gerry. The big pockets help. Thank you also for posting examples of your great shooting. You always set a really high bar for everybody. I certainly admire and covet your level of play.

I use Pinnacle Studio. It's the same software I have used to produce all of my instructional video DVDs. It isn't the best out there, but it is affordable and very easy to learn and use.

Happy New Year!
Ditto.

All the best,
Dave

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
Nice shooting.

I noticed something about our style. ;)

I had a rocky start (2-2), then I found a gear and ran 5 straight. I think 7-0 should be doable on my table. I'll keep trying. It's great practice.

FYI, I edited out the dead time and sped up the rack transitions to make viewing more enjoyable (and to make the upload much faster). The video is only 8 minutes long.

Regards,
Dave

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
suggest for HC 8-ball ghost.

I just wanna make one suggestion Ghost game what i used to do. It´s REALLY hard at least 9 footers. It does not seem at first like it but break makes it so hard. It makes you FOCUS on every break.

8-ball Ghost. Break - scratch or not making ball is loss of 1 game.
After break you still try run out where you landed after break. No matter if you did make a ball or not.
So if you scratch you can still manage to get even. If you scratch and then still miss you can lose 2 games at one.
So main thing is putting pressure to breaking because on higher level it getting more and more important.. You just can´t win without good break..

I really think it simulates play against to pro/semipro level players
If you can beat this guy regularly then you can go try some world beating..:rolleyes:

victorl

Where'd my stroke go?
Silver Member
Gerry, thanks for the American rotation video.

It is definitely a great game to get into and probably more of a realistic challenge than the 15-ball ghost, especially on a big table. I'll update the OP when I have a little more time to post.

victorl

Where'd my stroke go?
Silver Member
8-ball Ghost. Break - scratch or not making ball is loss of 1 game.
After break you still try run out where you landed after break. No matter if you did make a ball or not.
So if you scratch you can still manage to get even. If you scratch and then still miss you can lose 2 games at one.
So main thing is putting pressure to breaking because on higher level it getting more and more important.. You just can´t win without good break..

Hi Poolmanis, thanks for the suggestion.

According to the above, "if you scratch you can still manage to get even", but since you have to "try to run out from where you landed after the break", what do you do with the pocketed cue ball?

For 8 ball, I was planning to applying the rules of no penalty for a dry break/break scratch, just to be consistent with the rules for the other ghost games. The only rule that's different is: no ball-in-hand after the break, unless you scratch, which would be ball-in-hand behind the headstring as per standard 8-ball rules. It's up for debate, though, so if anyone has any objections to this, let me know.

You can play by your rules if that's what you prefer, though, so just make a note of it when you post your scores/videos.

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi Poolmanis, thanks for the suggestion.

According to the above, "if you scratch you can still manage to get even", but since you have to "try to run out from where you landed after the break", what do you do with the pocketed cue ball?

For 8 ball, I was planning to applying the rules of no penalty for a dry break/break scratch, just to be consistent with the rules for the other ghost games. The only rule that's different is: no ball-in-hand after the break, unless you scratch, which would be ball-in-hand behind the headstring as per standard 8-ball rules. It's up for debate, though, so if anyone has any objections to this, let me know.

You can play by your rules if that's what you prefer, though, so just make a note of it when you post your scores/videos.

I always did shoot behind headstring. Like normal wpa 8-ball rules. 8-ball need little more challenging ghost rules imo to keep it interesting..

victorl

Where'd my stroke go?
Silver Member
I always did shoot behind headstring. Like normal wpa 8-ball rules. 8-ball need little more challenging ghost rules imo to keep it interesting..

I see what you're saying. But for I think many players the regular 8-ball ghost is still a big challenge. If you feel that's too easy for you, you can do a more difficult version if you like and we'll put it up.

victorl

Where'd my stroke go?
Silver Member
Need someone to step up and challenge Gerry and his one-man show! 10-ball or American Rotation ghost anyone?
I'll be giving them a whirl (and will probably just end up making Gerry look good) once I can find an open table to film on! :eek:

Joe T

Need someone to step up and challenge Gerry and his one-man show! 10-ball or American Rotation ghost anyone?
I'll be giving them a whirl (and will probably just end up making Gerry look good) once I can find an open table to film on! :eek:

I'll get something this week, he tortured me yesterday sending me a video link with the rotation, great exercise.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I use Pinnacle Studio. It's the same software I have used to produce all of my instructional video DVDs. It isn't the best out there, but it is affordable and very easy to learn and use.
Gerry,

FYI, another option for adding text is to use the "Annotations" feature in Youtube. You can easily have notes appear over the video where and when you want.

Catch you later,
Dave

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Regards,
Dave

Nice shooting Dr Dave. And nice video shortening also.