2018 WPA World 9 Ball

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Are they done for the day?

Yes, they played at 10 am, 12:30 pm, and 3 pm (Doha time), and that's it for today.

Tomorrow -- no matches (national holiday)

Wed. and Thurs. -- 11 am and 3 pm Doha time (3 am and 7 am USA EST).

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Playing in the last 16......

Robbie Capito

4AF8C907-5A24-4DCD-BA24-0C0ED2AD018B.jpeg

Joshua Filler

07AEFAE6-D35E-4377-B568-10177862B905.jpeg

38 years of experience.....between them.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lol I just noticed Shane is #28 on the WPA rankings. That is humorous. Fargorate is the way to go.

The WPA only ranks based on finishes in their sanctioned tournies which are mostly held overseas. This encourages players to enter these events, which continues their income stream.

Last edited:

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Other Guys

You can divide the last 16 into 2 camps.
One camp is the favorites camp and another is “the other guys” that few would think has chance of winning whole thing:
Robbie Capito
Zielinski
Chris Melling
Kazakis
Corey Deuel
Makkonen
Wu Kun Lin
Lin Ta Li

I would not be surprised if this year springs a surprise winner. We have already seen surprise winners in Mosconi Cup and All Japan.
One year when Daryl Peach won, you could hear folks falling off their chairs in disbelief. Same when Huiji See won the World 10 Ball.
These guys who can get to this stage are as capable of beating the top guys when in form. They have nothing to lose and will go all out and pressure is on the favourites.
That is why is it is so tough for top guys to win World 9 ball. You not only have to worry about other top guys but you have other underdogs going after your scalp.
Daryl Peach won about a decade ago. It may be the other guys turn to win this year :D

The+Other+Guys+Movie+Poster.jpg

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Anyone know anything about Lin Ta Li? I can't find him on FargoRate. The tourney website says he's age 29.

marek

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You can divide the last 16 into 2 camps.
One camp is the favorites camp and another is “the other guys” that few would think has chance of winning whole thing:
Robbie Capito
Zielinski
Chris Melling
Kazakis
Corey Deuel
Makkonen
Wu Kun Lin
Lin Ta Li

I would not be surprised if this year springs a surprise winner. We have already seen surprise winners in Mosconi Cup and All Japan.
One year when Daryl Peach won, you could hear folks falling off their chairs in disbelief. Same when Huiji See won the World 10 Ball.
These guys who can get to this stage are as capable of beating the top guys when in form. They have nothing to lose and will go all out and pressure is on the favourites.
That is why is it is so tough for top guys to win World 9 ball. You not only have to worry about other top guys but you have other underdogs going after your scalp.
Daryl Peach won about a decade ago. It may be the other guys turn to win this year :D

The+Other+Guys+Movie+Poster.jpg

While i agree with the spirit of your post I dont agree with your list:D there are maybe 3 players on your list that I would have labeled as underdogs at the start of the tournament,the others not...so much;)

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Melling is certainly not a dark horse.

i was going to say the same thing except his Fargo is not that great iirc as he is a little erratic but when he is on-he is pretty much unstoppable, not to mention exciting. Love it that he is totally not in shape also and flies in the face of that too often spouted crap. His weight may catch up to him as he ages but right now, he is strong as bull!

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i was going to say the same thing except his Fargo is not that great iirc as he is a little erratic but when he is on-he is pretty much unstoppable, not to mention exciting. Love it that he is totally not in shape also and flies in the face of that too often spouted crap. His weight may catch up to him as he ages but right now, he is strong as bull!

His Fargo is 783 right now. I imagine it would be higher if match scores were entered from the Derby. I watched most of one of his matches at World 9 ball this year. It is stupid how easy he makes those tables look. If he breaks well and has opening shots he is going to be very hard to beat.

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
The scheduling of this tournament and its matches is quite strange. They really are dragging it out. I suppose it could lead to better performances since guys aren't having to play 3-5 matches in a day, but taking an entire day off during the tournament for some Qatari national holiday is completely absurd. It just shows how they have no interest in really building any excitement or interest in what should be the most prestigious event on the calendar.

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't have a huge problem with the national holiday. But playing only one match per day in the early stages is too slow.

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Kaci up 7-1 and lost 11-10 to Robbie Capito.

This kid is 17?? Hong Kong but parents are Phillipines? I could've read wrong or someone stated incorrectly.

Last edited:

RichSchultz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We must be careful not to criticize them about the holiday, lest we sound like Hypocrites for *****ing about Mosconi over Thanksgiving.

Last edited: