2018 WPA World 9 Ball

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... [One wonders what the BCA's process is for arriving at their 6.]
So far as I know, which is not very far, they work with the subset of American players who are willing to pay their own way (or have a sponsor). I hope they use FargoRate on that subset. I suppose they could use (AZB) earnings over the last two years to get a ranking order instead.

In a quick check, the flight from SFO to Qatar and a nice hotel for a week is only $1500. As a tourist, that's cheaper than going to London. But 24 hours on the airplane???

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Per the WPA post today on Facebook:
"The 2018 World 9-ball Championship begins Friday Dec. 14th in Doha, Qatar at 1pm local time(GMT +3). All tables will be live streamed for free. We will post the stream links as soon as we receive them right here"

BABYfrHEAVEN

Registered
I just don't get it SERIOUSLY, after few years running, their stream is still SHIT. Look at elsewhere on YouTube, like Billiards Brother channel, they recorded some matches with almost 100 times better quality.

Hoping Kozoom still cover this tournament!

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The YouTube streams have a lot of tables but they look like they were filmed in a USSR hostage room.

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The YouTube streams have a lot of tables but they look like they were filmed in a USSR hostage room.

I just checked out the stream. USSR hostage room is the perfect description. Everyone from the players to the refs look angry. The background is drab and rust stained. It might be the best visual allegory to the current state of pool.
Such a big contrast to last week's Mosconi Cup.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Kaci doing Kaci things.

Got up and down multiple times on a 3 ball that was hanging in the pocket.

Still won, 9-7

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow look at that crowd. Amazing!
I think this place doubles as the Doha City Morgue when pool is over. Seriously, WHAT a joke. Does the WPA have ANY idea how bad this makes this ONCE great event look? Are there any spectators at all? Haven't heard one hand-clap. Could you imagine this event in New Orleans? Place would be absolutely nuts. This is SAD.

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The atmosphere is certainly a downer, but I'll take this stream all day long.
The players will be broken up into 16 groups of 8 playing a race-to-9, alternate break, double elimination format. Four players from each group will make up the final 64, which marks the start of the always tense and dramatic single elimination phase of the tournament. Matches will then become race to 11, alternate break. The final, which takes place on December 20, will be a race to 13.

Last edited: