2020 Mosconi Cup

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think one challenge about a meritocracy for US selection is making sure we have a solid point structure supported by an accessible event schedule.

You want to make sure you’re grooming your upcoming talent and bringing forward your best talent. You don’t want a player making the team because they focused on playing a quantity of events with mediocre finishes because our pool industry is in a state where superior players can give quality showings but can’t justify getting to as many events. That’s a concerning because the current active US hall of famers could be in that position to limp onto the team but I’m not convinced that would put our best foot forward.

In Europe, the have a strong enough tour and crop of emerging talent that they don’t have that risk. Their risk is more that they could get hampered with world champions not ready for the MC lights and pressure. But each time someone like Kaci fumbles with the shot clock, he’ll be that much more tempered the next time we see him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I think one challenge about a meritocracy for US selection is making sure we have a solid point structure supported by an accessible event schedule.

You want to make sure you’re grooming your upcoming talent and bringing forward your best talent. You don’t want a player making the team because they focused on playing a quantity of events with mediocre finishes because our pool industry is in a state where superior players can give quality showings but can’t justify getting to as many events. That’s a concerning because the current active US hall of famers could be in that position to limp onto the team but I’m not convinced that would put our best foot forward.

In Europe, the have a strong enough tour and crop of emerging talent that they don’t have that risk. Their risk is more that they could get hampered with world champions not ready for the MC lights and pressure. But each time someone like Kaci fumbles with the shot clock, he’ll be that much more tempered the next time we see him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Well said. Thanks for an extremely well-considered post.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Matchroom announced today that the Mosconi Cup will be moved to the Ricoh Arena in Coventry (about 90 miles from Alexandra Palace in London). All ticket purchases are being refunded and names put on a waiting list with the hope that they will be allowed to have an audience. From Emily Frazer:

“The event will definitely go ahead, we will be in a Covid-19 secure bubble, with all players and personnel tested, and if we can get spectators in then we will be doing everything we possibly can to make that happen.”

They have already run multiple snooker events in bubbles. There have been about five players who have tested positive and a few others that were moved to quarantine due to exposure.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm surprised MC is even a thing. No I'm not. Matchroom obviously sees a snookerish bonanza in it. I think it was Robin Williams said words to the effect of America was all the rejects from Europe. Point being Europe and the Asian civilizations have millennia of organization and evolution. America has 200 years of that with the current state of personal rights to fkn anything to show for it. Add a curriculized skill set and you have a very un-level playing field. Besides, I think it should be The Mosconi World Open; a concession to the fact that pool was invented mostly here but still in the spirit of excellence.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm surprised MC is even a thing. No I'm not. Matchroom obviously sees a snookerish bonanza in it. I think it was Robin Williams said words to the effect of America was all the rejects from Europe. Point being Europe and the Asian civilizations have millennia of organization and evolution. America has 200 years of that with the current state of personal rights to fkn anything to show for it. Add a curriculized skill set and you have a very un-level playing field. Besides, I think it should be The Mosconi World Open; a concession to the fact that pool was invented mostly here but still in the spirit of excellence.
Huh?????????????????

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
In an email I received from Matchroom just hours ago, it was announced a) all ticketholders for the Mosconi Cup will get automatic refunds, b) the event has been moved to Coventry (perhaps 100 miles northwest of London), and c) if fans will be permitted (not yet determined), tickets will go on sale and original ticketholders will get first preference to buy them.

Although I am a ticketholder, going is not really an option at this point. Disappointing, but I was mentally prepared for this. There's always next year in Vegas!

Last edited:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
The show must go on! And on the MC will go! I for one, am thrilled that Matchroom has found a way to make this great event happen. Props to Emily Fraser and others for pulling it off. Their work and efforts did not happen in a vacuum.

ibuycues

I Love Box Cues
Silver Member
The show must go on! And on the MC will go! I for one, am thrilled that Matchroom has found a way to make this great event happen. Props to Emily Fraser and others for pulling it off. Their work and efforts did not happen in a vacuum.
......not a vacuum, a bubble!
Will Prout

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
As if we needed any further proof, Matchroom gives us yet one more example of why they are the premier event producer in pool. Their "can do" attitude and unswerving diligence should only deepen our excitement for the fact that they are now at the helm of the US Open 9-ball, the WPA World 9-ball, and their three longtime core events (World Pool Masters, Mosconi Cup, World Cup of Pool).

To have found a way to save this event while maintaining the highest standards of safety for attendees is a truly remarkable accomplishment. Our sport is in very good hands with Matchroom., especially if the players, sponsors, and fans support them in the coming years.

JolietJames

Boot Party Coordinator
Silver Member
Saying that the Mosconi Cup should be a world open and that it might be foregone that Europe can assemble more first rate performers than USA.
You could have stated that without insulting the country for its age. I'm not sorry the US invents most things and could kick the crap out of everyone else.
The difference is that far too much of the US is dominated by TV and pool isn't good for ratings here. If it was, I suppose the US would have a stronger contingent of players.
I would love for the major sports (NFL NBA MLB) to lose some ratings at the expense of others like pool.
Europe is a big favorite this year no doubt. I hope fans will be in attendance. The fans are a big part of why this event is what it is.

Oh, and America is full of people who think having a queen and royal family is ridiculous and were brave enough to leave -not rejects. jmho

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I wonder if there has been any discussion about having alternates. What’s the plan if someone tests positive?
They have already had players who had to withdraw from bubbles at snooker events when they tested positive, so I'm sure they're aware of the possibility. The snooker tournaments are all single elimination, so there were just some byes. The MC is certainly more problematic.

8BallWonderland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Both team needs to add a sub player, or maybe add a rule that Karl Boyes and Jeremy Jones would step up and play if one of the core players gets sick.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Both team needs to add a sub player, or maybe add a rule that Karl Boyes and Jeremy Jones would step up and play if one of the core players gets sick.
Something like that works for me. Asking an alternate to travel to the venue when they probably won't get to play is, in my assessment, asking too much.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It sucks for the players IMO why they need to be in a corona bubble. What's the difference between players in a building, and customers in a restaurant, or customers in a supermarket? The players in the building have to be tested, but the customers in a restaurant/supermarket do not? A bit overboard if you ask me.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Something like that works for me. Asking an alternate to travel to the venue when they probably won't get to play is, in my assessment, asking too much.
I don't think it would be a problem for most players. They don't have many other events to play in, and I imagine they would get expenses plus a reasonable stipend. Maybe they could do some guest commentating.