2022 AZB Ghost Challenge - Official Thread

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Here’s my first submission, I’m starting to play more and want to record my progress. 9’ Diamond, 9-ball ghost, race to 9. When I finished I thought I won 9-2, but I believe it’s actually 9-3. I decided to NOT take BIH a couple of times if I was good on the first ball. That actually cost me a rack! Hope you enjoy.

Check out a shot I made to win the rack starting at about 10:45. I tried drawing down table into some tight position for the 2 in the side. Came up way short because I was afraid of hooking myself with the 8. I had to bank the 2 and juice up the cue ball so it would come off the 8 and get back up table. I'd rather have just gotten good on the 2, but this was way cooler. :)

8cree

Reverse Engineer
Silver Member
Here’s my first submission, I’m starting to play more and want to record my progress. 9’ Diamond, 9-ball ghost, race to 9. When I finished I thought I won 9-2, but I believe it’s actually 9-3. I decided to NOT take BIH a couple of times if I was good on the first ball. That actually cost me a rack! Hope you enjoy.

That usually costs me more than one! Good shooting though

Shuddy

Diamond Dave’s babysitter
Silver Member
Pool hasn’t been a focus for a few months as South Korea has been dealing with its Omicron wave, but we’re finally starting to see things ease up a little, and all my students and co-teachers have now all been infected and recovered.

I actually went to a pool room and played last night! Which inspired some ghost action; here’s a 7-3 win against the pro 9 ball ghost.

dquarasr

Registered
I have an uncanny ability to screw up runs for so, so, many diverse reasons. So much so that I recorded exactly why I ended 6-ball ghost runs.

This is the result (note, this is after about 5 or 6 failed runs; after these I decided it might be instructive to record WHY my runs ended.)

1 - Missed ez 10* shot 3rd ball
2 - Missed ez 15* shot 4th ball
3 - Missed 30* side pocket shot (looked 3 times, seemed to be overcutting it. When I shot it I undercut it.) 6th ball
4 - Failed to negotiate obstacles, snookered myself 2nd ball
5 - Failed to negotiate obstacles, snookered myself 1st ball (this after BIH!!! ARGH!!!)
6 - Missed 5* straight shot 3rd ball
7 - Missed 30* long shot 2nd ball
8 - Missed 15* shot 2nd ball
9 - Missed 60* shot 2nd ball
10 - Scratched making 3rd ball (predicted it and obviously did not correctly estimate how much english to apply to avoid the scratch)
11 - Missed 10* table-length shot 6th ball
12 - Rattled first ball (FIRST BALL ON BIH!!!!)
13 - Lucky 13, finally ran out.

None of the misses on the ez shots were missed by much at all.

Wow, this is embarrassing. I know I am SO MUCH better than this, or at least my potential is much higher. Today it's obvious I am not concentrating or focusing well. I better fix something soon; tonight is league night.

I'll wait 30 minutes, get my $h!+ together, and try again later.

(APA SL4 in 8, SL5 in 9)

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Played couple sets just normal 9-ball ghost. Won 7-1 and 8-0(missed on 9th rack. I was trying how long I can go but probably would call it a day in 10 racks due late night).
Last couple weeks I have been working out with my breaks and mostly 8-ball and 10-ball but also messed up all kinda breaks for kitchen rule in 9-ball too.
7-1 one was bad breaking and playing but making a lot of circus shots.. :D:D
I think it was more entertaining than that solid 8-0. There was just couple banks.
Gotta upload those probably next monday when i come back from 9ball Finnish Champs ;)

Wish me luck :)

dquarasr

Registered
I continue my uncanny ability to scuttle runs by:
- Rolling a little too far. I can't even begin to tell you how many times I roll the CB as little as one inch too far (or less!), hooking myself, even on large CB target areas, but overshoot them.
- Rolling a little too short, getting on the wrong side of the next OB, making shape on the subsequent ball much more difficult.
- Not properly predicting the CB path. I'm working on this one - a lot, and while it's getting better, it's not good yet. This also influences miscalculating required CB speed after hitting OB. See above comments. At least I'm hardly ever scratching, which is an improvement.
- Rattling the money ball or other interim easy shots.
- Miscuing on draw shots. I've been focusing on not dropping my elbow, which has greatly increased my potting, but keeping my elbow up is also making me hit the CB lower than I'm used to, so I'm having to adapt to that. But my draw (as much as I try to avoid using draw unless I have to) is getting much stronger on shots where CB is three or more diamonds from the OB.

OMG, I keep hoping that some day I'll get to that point where it will come together and I'll notice a significant jump in performance, but thus far, I remain true to my self-inflicted nickname "Two-Ball Doug", meaning, I'm only good for runs of 2, 3, or 4. Maddening but encouraging because of that now more often six-ball runout. Thank goodness for 8-ball, where I might have other targets to shoot at when I don't get proper shape on my intended next ball.

I am working on better visualizing the shot, the CB path, and the resultant intended CB target. At least I'm noticing some improvement in that my ability to bring home runs is happening more often, but it's a slow process.

Keep on keepin' on, as the saying goes.

9BallKY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Due to the grandkids getting bigger and running around at will I haven’t been playing the ghost much for a few months. On top of that I’ve really been struggling for about a 2 month period but finally started to play a little better the last week or so. First time in a very long time I was home alone last night and decided to try the ghost a set. Made some mistakes, got a tough roll one game but got a good roll after blowing position on a simple shot later in the set. Result was a 7-2 win.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have an uncanny ability to screw up runs for so, so, many diverse reasons. So much so that I recorded exactly why I ended 6-ball ghost runs.

This is the result (note, this is after about 5 or 6 failed runs; after these I decided it might be instructive to record WHY my runs ended.)

1 - Missed ez 10* shot 3rd ball
2 - Missed ez 15* shot 4th ball
3 - Missed 30* side pocket shot (looked 3 times, seemed to be overcutting it. When I shot it I undercut it.) 6th ball
--- SNIP ---

None of the misses on the ez shots were missed by much at all.

Wow, this is embarrassing. I know I am SO MUCH better than this, or at least my potential is much higher. Today it's obvious I am not concentrating or focusing well. I better fix something soon; tonight is league night.

I'll wait 30 minutes, get my $h!+ together, and try again later.

(APA SL4 in 8, SL5 in 9)

So here is the thing, by your APA levels, that is exactly how you should be playing, so no need to really get upset about mistakes. They are expected. I mean you are in the middle range of an amateur league, one would not expect to be running out racks even of 6 ball quite yet. I am a B+ that ranges into A- at times, would be pretty much maxed out in APA and my best ghost win has been vs the 7 ball ghost.

That is why the good players are good and the others not. If you stopped making mistakes you would be a 7/9 correct? So when you do, then you will be and no worry till then about missing or mistakes or farting in the middle of the shot or anything silly. It's like a caterpillar fretting about not being a butterfly. If they were a butterfly they would be, and no longer a caterpillar. Till then, deal with crawling and munching leaves to build up the body and the energy for the change, when it's time to fly, it will be.

I know a few players that have barely been playing for a year and every miss or scratch or anything they act like it's some weird occurrence and toss/bend the cues. It's not unusual, will happen again and again till skill improves, and it just takes extra energy and focus out of the game at hand. You will play at your level, till you get better and play at a better level. Nothing secret here LOL and nothing to worry much about even if it's frustrating.

Last edited:

peppersauce

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Got a good practice session in the other day. I played 4 races against the 9-ball ghost (2 races to 7 and 2 races to 5) and one set against the 10-ball ghost. I didn’t include the two races to 5 against the 9-ball ghost. No sound. Had music on.

I lost all the sets in the video, but felt like I was doing a lot of things right. Just wasn’t playing my best and had some really tricky racks I couldn’t figure out. Iirc, I lost both races to 7 hill-hill and 3-5 in the 10-ball set. My stroke is always a work in progress. 🙄

Last edited:

Greg M

Are English pool tables permitted under "random ghost"? I don't play much of the American game at all and I might give it a shot if I have time to head out and access a table.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are English pool tables permitted under "random ghost"? I don't play much of the American game at all and I might give it a shot if I have time to head out and access a table.
Yes, absolutely. And if you do want to play the American style games on your table, no problem we will add it to the list.