2023 AZB Ghost Challenge - Official Thread

peppersauce

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is some great shooting here. It’s just depressing me, since I am officially the ghost’s b#%ch!

I’d be curious if you could put your Fargo ratings with your attempts?
650. I know poolmanis is over 700. Or was a while back at least.

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
650. I know poolmanis is over 700. Or was a while back at least.
Yeah. I was but most of my competitions are not fargo. And those i normally win haha. Even i have to handicap to everyone. ;)
I think now im below 700. I hope I can fix that next month when i go play Eurotour Tallin in Estonia. Last time i played Eurotour was 2000 :O

peppersauce

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah. I was but most of my competitions are not fargo. And those i normally win haha. Even i have to handicap to everyone. ;)
I think now im below 700. I hope I can fix that next month when i go play Eurotour Tallin in Estonia. Last time i played Eurotour was 2000 :O
Wow long time! Good luck!

You play 700 plus regardless of what the number says, lol.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
There is some great shooting here. It’s just depressing me, since I am officially the ghost’s b#%ch!

I’d be curious if you could put your Fargo ratings with your attempts?
As far as I'm concerned, the numbers for his Fargo ratings aren't as important as his pool IQ numbers. Unfortunately, nobody has ever devised a test for that. On every shot he's thinking about how the shot needs to be played for the next ball or balls well in advance and has the ability to get the CB where it needs to be with angles that fall in line for a number of additional balls.

What everyone needs to be doing is listening to his thought processes by the way he verbalizes all of it throughout the entire rack and the imagination. THAT is a high pool IQ and leads to the whatever Fargo rating comes out of it.

My ability to make balls in a pure shooting test is pretty high. But thought processes for planning in advance for speed, spin, and angles on the rest of the balls are too fleeting. I get reminded of it every time I play a certain someone who has a very high pool IQ that kicks my butt and I'm made to feel like the village idiot.

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As much pool as I've played, I haven't played ANY 9 ball on the spot matches. So after watching the WPC this weekend I gave it a try and concluded I have no clue how to break. They made it look so easy in the matches this weekend.

I lost 6-7. Maybe I'll upload it or I'll give it another try later this week.

Although I haven't contributed much, I appreciate @iusedtoberich keeping this going.

jeagle64

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lost to the 15 ball ghost 3-7. Had him down 2-1 then lost it. 3-6 was the best I had it and missed a 12 ball. It’s all about the break in that game.

Sent from my iPad using AzBilliards Forums

soyale

you could call this a 3-7 loss but i am choosing to call it a 3-0 win because it’s my first time running 3 in a row! Got a lucky 8 ball to get it started. I probably should have kept shooting to see if i could keep it going but after missing in the 4th rack i decided to end on a high note.

Hopefully someday i’ll be able to post a victory in a race to 7.

JolietJames

Boot Party Coordinator
Silver Member
yes it is, it’s at the rec center by my house
What did you use to record it? I'll challenge the ghost haunting my downstairs if I can find a good method to record.
I'd like to find a camera that is able to stream as well.

soyale

What did you use to record it? I'll challenge the ghost haunting my downstairs if I can find a good method to record.
I'd like to find a camera that is able to stream as well.
I just set my iphone on the cue rack. As you can see its not quite wide enough to get all the pockets but its easier and lasts longer than my knock off go pro.

kanzzo

hobby player
Fell in love with One Pocket Ghost. It does wonders for your cue ball control.

Here is an introduction by Bob Jewett from an older post.

Here is an introduction (and how it's played by a pro) from John Schmidt (starting at 4:16) on video:

So it's basically 5 racks of break and run as many balls in one pocket. Pro version is without ball in hand. Obviously much easier with ball in hand after the break. After analyzing the runs I could find (ordered some from Jay Helfert from the One Pocket Challenge in Derby City, found some online) I noticed a fun fact:

the high runs seem to lie very close together being a very good indicator of the skill level of the player.

Alex Pagulayan is probably one of the best in this game. He was around 25% to run 15 and out without BIH (6 out of 25 innings I have on video). In this Challenge Alex ran 52, 53, 55

John Schmidt ran 43, 43, 42 in the Derby City Challenge the same year. And in the video above had 40/45/44/45 (taking 5 consecutive innings with the highest overall score). (professional version, no ball in hand)

My high runs today were 25/28/26/28 (hobby player version with BIH after the break).

With BIH after the break the pros (Filler and Schmidt playing it with BIH I did find on youtube) are almost 50% to run 15 and out.

My goal is to reach a 40+ (with BIH after break). Posting one of my 28s (10/1/4/2/11) from today:

give it a try :)
post your scores

soyale

Here is an introduction (and how it's played by a pro) from John Schmidt (starting at 4:16) on video:

So it's basically 5 racks of break and run as many balls in one pocket. Pro version is without ball in hand. Obviously much easier with ball in hand after the break. After analyzing the runs I could find (ordered some from Jay Helfert from the One Pocket Challenge in Derby City, found some online) I noticed a fun fact:

the high runs seem to lie very close together being a very good indicator of the skill level of the player.

Alex Pagulayan is probably one of the best in this game. He was around 25% to run 15 and out without BIH (6 out of 25 innings I have on video). In this Challenge Alex ran 52, 53, 55

John Schmidt ran 43, 43, 42 in the Derby City Challenge the same year. And in the video above had 40/45/44/45 (taking 5 consecutive innings with the highest overall score). (professional version, no ball in hand)

My high runs today were 25/28/26/28 (hobby player version with BIH after the break).

With BIH after the break the pros (Filler and Schmidt playing it with BIH I did find on youtube) are almost 50% to run 15 and out.

My goal is to reach a 40+ (with BIH after break). Posting one of my 28s (10/1/4/2/11) from today:

post your scores

I’ve heard of this before, it is an interesting version. When i play the one hole ghost i just try to get to 8 as many times as i can in a race to 3. So far i’ve only got 1 though haha. 28 is an impressive score, keep it up!

9BallKY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just played the most heartbreaking set I’ve ever played against the ghost. I hadn’t played the ghost any in a long time, for some reason decided to give it a try tonight.

Played two games to warm up. Run 6 in a row to go up 6-0. Break the balls and the 6,7,8,9 all end up close together close to the spot and the 6 has no pocket. I know that it’s going to be a really tough out to get the 7-0 win. Anyway I decide to play for the bank on the 6. I also need to play the cue ball off the rail into the 8 to hold position on the 7. So I bank the 6, it’s looks good headed for the corner pocket, cue ball comes off the rail and hits the 8 stopping dead perfect for the 7 and an easy out but the 6 hangs in the corner pocket. I just quit and didn’t even finish the set.

The 6 in a row isn’t even my longest against the ghost but I’ve never beat the ghost 7-0. Once I was down 0-3 against the ghost and ran 7 in a row to win the set 7-3. Decided to see how many I could get. Ran two more for 9 in a row. Actually have eight of the racks on video but was using an old iPhone to record at that time and it shut off after the break on the 9th game.

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

post your scores
I score normally around 40. Reaallyy hard to get more though. I always play without bih. It is fun.
But missing easy position is brutal for your sanity haha.

kanzzo

hobby player
I score normally around 40. Reaallyy hard to get more though. I always play without bih. It is fun.
But missing easy position is brutal for your sanity haha.
40 w/o BIH is really strong. If you have some on video (or would take time to record some), i'd really appreciate to see it. Trying different breaks and looking for ways to attack problems. There is very little one pocket ghost on video, that I could find.