2023 World Pool Championship, Kielce, Poland

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

first match. on paper it may look like shane drew one of the easier ones tomorrow, but the guy is absolutely lethal.
Thank you. I watched half of the match last night, and the other half after the Shane/Hoang match this moring. Hoang plays jam up. I'm surprised his Fargo is 799 and not 820 range.

Also although he is not slow by any means, Hoang was way faster against Shane with the 30 second shot clock. It really makes a difference.

SeniorTom

Thanks for posting the link to live play, I am trying to correlate the time zone to Eastern Standard Time. What is the hourly difference?

Vahmurka

...and I get all da rolls
Silver Member
Someone tell Jeremy that it’s a “push out” after the break and not a “roll out” that he has been calling it.
After you posted this Jay I started to pay notice and must say JJ never calls it a push out. Weird :)

Vahmurka

...and I get all da rolls
Silver Member
Thanks for posting the link to live play, I am trying to correlate the time zone to Eastern Standard Time. What is the hourly difference?
For current and future events. this Time Converter will come handy. It improved a lot in a couple of years or so.
You just enter the locations you are willing to compare, and then you can tweak the exact time as you wish (like the time when the session starts, for example)

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't thing Taiwan's (second) Wu has any major wins? He gets overshadowed by the Ko brothers and Chang.

VVP

Registered
Wu has the break down! 1 in the side and shot on the 2 every time. Hoang only had the break in the first rack so far at 4-0 :D

weakfingers

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wu Kun Lin hangs up the 2 ball after running a four pack to go up 5-0. Duong Quoc Hoang has an open look at the table for a chance to get on the board.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah his co-commentator knew he was going to say it and tried to get him not to, but Karl still said it. ha ha ha. I was half expecting an apology to appease the networks, and happy there was none.
Not to mention 9 out of ten players say corner hooked

weakfingers

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wu was ahead of Hoang 7-1. Now leads 7-3. Will Hoang come back?
Hoang now with ball in hand at 7-3. He hasn't had many great chances to get into the match so far, but he has also found himself stuck near the end rail after his break and doesn't seem to have the same confidence as in prior matches. Time will tell. At 7-4 he's still very much in with a chance.

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
SVB isn't in the fast player group. Conversely, he is a careful, deliberate player. Your claim that Sky plays better fast is so obviously not true I don't see how you can say it with a straight face. If you have paid any attention you certainly can't believe it, but maybe you just don't pay attention or keep up with people's games. Sky slowed down his game a good bit and that directly resulting in a BIG jump up in his game, a night and day difference (as it did with Shaw as another example, although they could continue to see more improvement by being a little more careful and deliberate yet). You also try to paint it out as if there are fast players everywhere in the top ranks and that simply isn't true either, not as a percentage. Only a relatively small percentage of the top players are fast players, and even among them the trend is that when they slow down they tend to shoot better. It's all pretty telling when one is willing to look at the evidence with an unbiased honest mind.
Did you see how well Sky played at Tourning Stone? He was playing faster than I've seen him play in a long time. When SVB gets rolling he can play very fast. Orcullo does the same, as do many top professionals. Heck, even Mr. Slow and Smooth Morra just played nearly flawless in his elimination match WHILE playing under a 30 second shot clock! I saw repeated shots where he didn't even bother to site the shotline from the pocket out through the object ball like he normally does on every shot. How was that possible? Albin is the same. He can be painfully deliberate at times but he pretty much ALWAYS plays great -- even with a shot clock. Hmmm.

Notwithstanding all that, you are arguing against something I didn't say, a strawman. I agree that phenomenal pool has been played fast but that has nothing to do with what I actually said. What I actually said is that everybody will on average play to their fullest potential when they play at a slower (careful, deliberate) pace. The evidence for this is everywhere you look. The trend is that the better the players, the more time they tend to take, and the top of the heap has always tended to be filled with the more careful, deliberate players. Particularly telling is that every single player that has ever slowed down their game has ended up playing better as a result of it. I can't think of a single exception. Yes, you can find examples of guys like Earl who played great fast. What you are ignoring is that the evidence says that he would have been even better had he slowed down a bit and been more careful and deliberate.
Now you're just changing what you said. You were much more empathic with your language. Let me remind you what you said: "...the totality of the evidence supporting that everybody (once you force yourself to get used to it and give it a fair chance) will play to their maximum potential when they play slow is overwhelming."

It's hard to argue with someone who actually believes this. Do players need to be deliberate enough that they properly study the table -- Yes! Do players need to study every single shot possibility, every angle, every potential carom line, only to then get down on the ball and feather the cue ball 20 times? Most certainly not!

What I think happens is players create a self-fulfilling prophecy once they go down the slow play road, where every mistake they make they attribute to a skipped step in their ever growing pre-shot routine. It's really hard to tell yourself you missed because you simply stroked the ball poorly. It's much easier to believe you somehow didn't see the shot angle properly, even though you've shot the shot thousands of times.

Common sense tells you that slower, careful, deliberate play will lead to the best results as well. It's all about reducing errors, physical and mental. Reducing errors requires being careful and deliberate, and you just can't be as careful as you need to be when shooting fast.

Obviously you aren't a careful, deliberate enough player or you wouldn't arguing what you are arguing and would already know that it results in the best pool. So I challenge you to give it an honest try and find out for yourself. Take just a little more time to analyze your best option in shot choice, positional route, strategy, etc. Take just a little more time to make sure you are fully committed to the shot. Take just a little more time to as best as possible work past the nerves you are feeling on a shot. Take just a little more time to make sure you are fully grooved in your stroke and aim etc. Take just a little more time to reduce the tension in your arm and get it as relaxed as possible. Etc. I'm not saying get stupid about it, just slow things a little to be just a little more careful and deliberate about everything. Your game will improve, guaranteed.

Maybe not right at first when you dislike it and have a mental block against it, or when you just aren't yet used to it, but after you let it become your new rhythm of comfort it will result in you shooting better. It has worked for literally every other single person that has ever done it that I am aware of (which is tons and tons of people, including 100% of the many pros that have done it). Even if there are some one in a hundred exceptions that can be found the odds say you aren't likely to end up being one of them. I know with some honest thought you will see the same thing, tons of examples where players have improved when they slowed down and got more careful, but you are going to struggle to come up with any examples where a player's game suffered when they slowed down and became more careful (if they gave it the time to get used to it). So go do it and then come back to me and tell me it didn't work. You aren't going to be that unicorn exception and if I hear back from you what I'm going to hear is "for whatever reason I just never thought it would be true but you were right, thanks for that, it upped my game".
Wrong again! I'm too deliberate and players have complained about my deliberate play in the past. I've moved beyond this in more recent years and haven't noticed much difference in my results. If anything, I'm playing more free and enjoying the game more.

One HUGE enormous problem with the whole conversation of fast vs slow play is that having actually good, textbook, shot mechanics doesn't necessarily have anything to do with pace of play. In the past, I think most fast players had poor technique. Not only would they fly around the table, but they would also fly around on the shot. Today's faster players actually have much better technique while down on the ball.

Last edited:

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you. I watched half of the match last night, and the other half after the Shane/Hoang match this moring. Hoang plays jam up. I'm surprised his Fargo is 799 and not 820 range.

Also although he is not slow by any means, Hoang was way faster against Shane with the 30 second shot clock. It really makes a difference.

that fargo will go up for sure.

funny thing is hoang certainly doesn't move fast, no rapid movements, but since he has basically zero PSR and two strokes, he is very time effective