2023 World Snooker Championship / April 15th - May 1st

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
some fking protesters jumping up on the tables, coordinated and throwing orange dust. luckily no player was on a big break, so shouldn't affect outcome

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230417_203641_YouTube.jpg
    Screenshot_20230417_203641_YouTube.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 64

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Last edited:

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The group that threw the orange powder is called "Just Stop Oil," and they do target sporting events. Why they chose snooker is curious since the viewing audience is much less than other sporting venues, though maybe it was an easier evasion of security at The Crucible.

From the news: A 30-year-old man and a 52-year-old woman have been arrested on suspicion of criminal damage, and both are in police custody. A statement from South Yorkshire Police on Monday night read: “Two people were detained after protestors gained entry to The Crucible earlier this evening (Monday 17 April). A 30-year-old man and a 52-year-old woman were arrested on suspicion of criminal damage. Both are in police custody.”

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Meanwhile, the rivalry between Hossein Vafaei and Ronnie O'Sullivan, who meet up on Friday, is heating up. Here's Ronnie's retort to Hossein's public call for Ronnie to retire, after warning him not to spark another feud. O'Sullivan told Eurosport: "Hossein Vafaei, the man who said…what did he say about me, I can’t remember?" Pundit Alan McManus gave him an answer of: "I think he said you should retire." The Rocket then responded: "Has he been saying much this year? I think he’s learned to be quiet. Don’t rattle my cage! I’m just having fun. I love it when they call me out, I love it when they give me stick. I love it, it turns me on, I get off on it. I need it to fire me up so I’m hoping someone says something, so I can have a reason to perform. But they’re not going to say it now, they probably realize it’s not a good tactic."

Here's Hossein's response to Ronnie: "Listen, he doesn’t need to remind us he’s won 20 major tournaments. To be honest, Ronnie O’Sullivan without his team, without the people who are around him, he wouldn’t be here at all. He wouldn’t be here at all."

maxresdefault (1).jpg

RunoutJJ

Professional Banger
Silver Member
Meanwhile, the rivalry between Hossein Vafaei and Ronnie O'Sullivan, who meet up on Friday, is heating up. Here's Ronnie's retort to Hossein's public call for Ronnie to retire, after warning him not to spark another feud. O'Sullivan told Eurosport: "Hossein Vafaei, the man who said…what did he say about me, I can’t remember?" Pundit Alan McManus gave him an answer of: "I think he said you should retire." The Rocket then responded: "Has he been saying much this year? I think he’s learned to be quiet. Don’t rattle my cage! I’m just having fun. I love it when they call me out, I love it when they give me stick. I love it, it turns me on, I get off on it. I need it to fire me up so I’m hoping someone says something, so I can have a reason to perform. But they’re not going to say it now, they probably realize it’s not a good tactic."

Here's Hossein's response to Ronnie: "Listen, he doesn’t need to remind us he’s won 20 major tournaments. To be honest, Ronnie O’Sullivan without his team, without the people who are around him, he wouldn’t be here at all. He wouldn’t be here at all."

View attachment 696586
What a great response by Ronnie. Truly a living Legend

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Has Ronnie brought up how many majors he's won? I don't think I've ever heard him brag like that.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Has Ronnie brought up how many majors he's won? I don't think I've ever heard him brag like that.

i don't know. i think it's stuff like this that vafei takes issue with:

O'Sullivan, 47, claimed Wells - who fell off tour two years ago - should stick to being a part-time player, would never win a tournament and lacked the mental strength to succeed.

But almost immediately Neath's Wells, who may well regain his pro card for next season, scored a huge shock win over former world champion and reigning Masters king Judd Trump.

O'Sullivan had said: "He's never going to be a tournament winner. He's just not good enough.

"He should just stay as a part-time player. There's a lot of players on tour who can't mentally sustain it.

but that is expected from ronnie. snooker/pool is not a personality contest. hendry didn't even talk to his peers during his heyday

KissedOut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i don't know. i think it's stuff like this that vafei takes issue with:

O'Sullivan, 47, claimed Wells - who fell off tour two years ago - should stick to being a part-time player, would never win a tournament and lacked the mental strength to succeed.

But almost immediately Neath's Wells, who may well regain his pro card for next season, scored a huge shock win over former world champion and reigning Masters king Judd Trump.

O'Sullivan had said: "He's never going to be a tournament winner. He's just not good enough.

"He should just stay as a part-time player. There's a lot of players on tour who can't mentally sustain it.

but that is expected from ronnie. snooker/pool is not a personality contest. hendry didn't even talk to his peers during his heyday

It is not unheard of for a top player to lose to a much less talented in a one-off. Heck, Ben Hogan once lost a playoff to a journeyman, Jack Fleck. Ronnie himself was beat by the amateur Jack Cahill. But it is a much less likely that the less talented guy can maintain over the course of a tournament. Which is why Ronnie's statement that Wells is not good enough to win a tournament is unrefuted by one off upsets.

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hossein seems to think this is some kind of slam on Ronnie but it actually shows Ronnie's intelligence to surround himself with people who help him succeed. None of us can succeed alone.

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Kyren with a 147.

The final B-R-B sequence looked pretty tough.
I often run into a very similar problem as him when I break and the table is ripe for a "maximum". I run out of position on one of the penultimate two balls and then miss one of them or the eight ball 🤣🤣🤣

Last edited: