2023 World Snooker Championship / April 15th - May 1st

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oh and even thought the frames and matches take a bit longer, pretty much every snooker player shoots faster than the fastest pool player.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, snooker historically has always had long matches (the early years had matches that lasted for days), although it wasn't always single elimination, but some sort of challenge format (the history is quite interesting, but I can't remember the exact details off the top of my head).

In terms of the modern tournament, the top 16 in the rankings automatically get seeded through (and separated so 1 can't play 2 until the final and seed 1 vs seed 4 wouldn't happen until the semi-final).

In terms of who qualifies, its slightly more complicated, but is something like this:

Qualifying round one: Players ranked 81 to 112 against those seeded 113+
Qualifying round two: Qualifying round one winners against players ranked 49-80
Qualifying round three: Qualifying round two winners will against players ranked 17-48
Qualifying round four: Qualifying round three winners play each other

Then the qualifiers are randomly drawn against the top 16 seeds for the first round at the Crucible, so it can be the case that someone ranked 17/18/19/20 has just had a bad run, dropped out of the top 16 and you get two world class players meeting in round 1!
That's a neat way of doing it. It make the whole season count, yet still gives the long shots a chance. Thanks for explaining.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oh and even thought the frames and matches take a bit longer, pretty much every snooker player shoots faster than the fastest pool player.
Yes, I did notice this. The motions of the players were fast. Almost no wasted time like most pool players. I didn't notice a shot clock though. Are they all just naturally fast? Or is there some unwritten rule to present the game in a fan friendly pace?

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, I did notice this. The motions of the players were fast. Almost no wasted time like most pool players. I didn't notice a shot clock though. Are they all just naturally fast? Or is there some unwritten rule to present the game in a fan friendly pace?

No shot clock. I think it's a combination of just recognizing the correct shot quickly and also being aware of what's best for the fans.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Two words Beebs: Peter Ebdon

As for finding the non-Ronnie matches interesting, it helps a lot of you have seen the players before and know a little about them.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Two words Beebs: Peter Ebdon

As for finding the non-Ronnie matches interesting, it helps a lot of you have seen the players before and know a little about them.
I just watched this deciding frame from his 2002 WC win. (I never heard of him before). He must have been having a fast day? He definitely seemed slower than the other snooker players, but not pool player slow. ha ha.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Here's the lineup on Monday. Subtract 8 hours for Pacific time, 5 for Eastern. Higgins has already sent Wilson home -- races to 13 in this round.

1682307109036.png

Dan_B

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
There is a clock and a shot clock keeper because just as the implied ranking the AST (Average Shot Time) is the next relevant stat on the player's board.
#1 O'Sullivan 19:55 vs #9 Brecel 19:35, gambling being what it is there, the feeder stock of this setup/gig, I'm thinking there could be a bet for the win with the best AST.

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
They are just that good. The top players will take the extra time when needed. No shot clock. When you see Ronnie studying.....must be a tough situation. 🤷

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
Let's see, Ronnie plays tomorrow first session. 2 AM here. I think I will take a nap.
Another match that should be worth the $25 I paid for the whole shebang. DAZN is providing a good product. Buy a month then cancel the next day. You get the 30 days and request to renew every day.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... Buy a month then cancel the next day. You get the 30 days and request to renew every day.
I don't get the daily resubscribe come-on any more. They must think I'm either special or hopeless.

DAZN seems to have not archived yesterday's matches (Day 9). Also, they seem to be dropping them after a week. Also, if you try to use the Windows screen recorder to capture a match, the video is blanked out, or so I've heard from a friend. :devilish:

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't think you can subscribe and then cancel the next day anymore.

When I subscribed on 4/21, there was a small disclaimer that said you have to give 30 days notice. So pretty sure I'm getting billed on 5/21 even if I cancelled today.

kling&allen

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member

When I subscribed on 4/21, there was a small disclaimer that said you have to give 30 days notice. So pretty sure I'm getting billed on 5/21 even if I cancelled today.

That's how I read their current terms. 2 months is the minimum subscription now. Whether they have actually implemented those terms in their billing software, I don't know.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A frame from 1987 just popped up on my YouTube. The score was in the 300's. Did they carry forward the scores from each frame back then, and total ball score determined the winner, rather than total frames won?

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member

My first experience was 30 days notice required on cancel. So when I watched for 2 weeks and canceled, I had to pay for the 2 weeks into the next month not another month.

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A frame from 1987 just popped up on my YouTube. The score was in the 300's. Did they carry forward the scores from each frame back then, and total ball score determined the winner, rather than total frames won?

Not normally, but I'm pretty sure there was a tournament in the 1980's that did indeed carry the scores forward, I just can't remember what it was called!