2024 World Snooker Championship (Apr 20th - May 6th)

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
the chinese promotors have a digital overhead method in their events. not sure about its mm tolerances, but it's probably better than just eyeing it up.
I think the overhead doesn't come close to the one millimeter accuracy required for the shot O'Sullivan faced. Also, it requires an accurate "before" image and if the black was always spotted wrong, the "before" would have been wrong as well.

Some ball markers have sort of a skirt under the ball down to a small semi-circular hole. If you center the spot at the middle of the half-hole the ball will go right on the spot. (I've previously posted a different design that can also spot accurately.)

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I've never seen it done by any ref but it seems a logical thing to do. A gentle tap and the ball will sit there without rolling off.
It often works to simply press down on the ball when it is in position.

I'm surprised that the ref did not work harder at rubbing away the incorrect crater.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It often works to simply press down on the ball when it is in position.

I'm surprised that the ref did not work harder at rubbing away the incorrect crater.
I agree. She is not my favorite referee. Someone in the know told me Leo Scullion was Ronnie's favorite referee. Of course, referees are like pool/snooker commentators. Everyone has their favorites.

Greg M

I agree. She is not my favorite referee. Someone in the know told me Leo Scullion was Ronnie's favorite referee. Of course, referees are like pool/snooker commentators. Everyone has their favorites.
Brendan Moore for me. Though, it's a shame he's retired from refereeing.

Reactions: JAM

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I always thought that Jan Verhaas was Ronnie's favorite. He did oblige him with potting the final black.
Screenshot_20240502_121710_Google.jpg

Last edited:

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
bingham started off with high runs and exhibition shot but jak jones has got selby qualities. i predict hill-hill

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Odds at the start

1714788318069.png

Current odds to win

1714788156588.png

I managed to bet Kyren at +2800, but kudos if you bet any of the other 3 guys. Especially Jones or Gilbert who were greater than 80-1 at the start.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member

I managed to bet Kyren at +2800, but kudos if you bet any of the other 3 guys. Especially Jones or Gilbert who were greater than 80-1 at the start.
I'm surprised he was rated that much lower than some of the others.

But did you hedge your bets?

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Odds at the start

View attachment 756739

Current odds to win

View attachment 756738

good on you, i hope he wins!

i always book them 1-2 so reaching the final pays even if they don't win. with that line kyren had i would have probably put a money back bet on the semi too. either way i like his chances from here on to raise the trophy.