28.75" Bubinga cue

masonh

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i am making a full length cue out of one piece of Bubinga.i will use a brass pin and a 4oz shaft,but i was wondering what some guesses on weight would be.i was hoping for 18+oz without adding anything other than the joint pin,but honestly i haven't worked too much with Bubinga,only a few cues.

joint-.825"
a-joint-1.06"
1.2"
1.24"

any educated guesses.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
I made one as a breaker.
.840 Joint, 1.040 AJ and 1.250 bottom.
Brass pin and it came in under 18 with a 3.8 shaft.
That size would be around 17.5 or less I think.
I'd add at least a quarter oz in the AJ area.

hangemhigh

Known Sinner
Silver Member
i am making a full length cue out of one piece of Bubinga.i will use a brass pin and a 4oz shaft,but i was wondering what some guesses on weight would be.i was hoping for 18+oz without adding anything other than the joint pin,but honestly i haven't worked too much with Bubinga,only a few cues.

joint-.825"
a-joint-1.06"
1.2"
1.24"

any educated guesses.

The full length BEM cues we did were in the high 17's , low 18's. The Bubinga should come in over those, but less than 19 I would guess.

On a side note, if it comes in light and you want to add some weight, be careful. I watched one of the most figured BEM cues we had split while adding some weight to get it up to 18.

BlowFish

Pinoy D-Player
Silver Member
Yum... 1pc Bubinga should be a lively hitter. I wouldn't mind it being in the 17-18oz range. ;)

masonh

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd add at least a quarter oz in the AJ area.

no a-joint,and i hate to have to add weight to the butt only.i am thinking about putting a 6-8" piece of 3/4" Blackwood in the front.

Yum... 1pc Bubinga should be a lively hitter. I wouldn't mind it being in the 17-18oz range.

i'm making it for myself and i'm going to make it fast.not sure i would trust it to stay straight over there.i have yours going now too though and i am going to core the front this time.the Cocobolo will be cored with Palisander.your monsoon season scares me.

Tommy i will definitely be careful.Bubinga is prone to crack on those little lines in the grain.i'm going to go slow and use a new side on my cutter.

thanks for all the guesses guys.i was thinking along the same lines,but i will hold out hope that it gets over 18oz.

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

joint-.825"
a-joint-1.06"
1.2"
1.24"

any educated guesses.
I think this may do it for you
http://keisan.casio.com/has10/SpecExec.cgi?lang=en&id=system/2006/1223372110

Then figure the weight of a cubic inch of the wood you are using.

hangemhigh

Known Sinner
Silver Member
thanks for all the guesses guys.i was thinking along the same lines,but i will hold out hope that it gets over 18oz.[/QUOTE]

I think you will hit your mark, Bubinga is quite a bit heavier than BEM.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
no a-joint,and i hate to have to add weight to the butt only.i am thinking about putting a 6-8" piece of 3/4" Blackwood in the front.

That would work.
The one I made came from 3/4 by 3 inches wide by 25 long board.
Cut in the middle and inverse plyed it.
It stayed straight.
Bubinga is pretty durable from what I've seen.

Jr's Farm

Be inspired!
Silver Member
The Bubinga I have is averaging .52 ounces pers cubic inch.
Unless my math is wrong, I have:

12" forearm, tapered from .825" to 1.06" equalling 8.37 cubic inches.
16.75" handle, tapered from 1.06" to 1.24" equalling 17.4 cubic inches.

Total cubes = 25.77 x .52 ounces per = 13.4 ounces for the butt, less the pin.

I made an Excel spreadsheet to calc cue weights, just put in the dims and weight per cubic inch of the material you have and it gets pretty close. I don't have it completely dialed in yet, like subtracting the weight of the wood removed for pins and such, but it works pretty good.

Let us know what you come up with.

Regards,
Frank

rhncue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I came up with 25.840924351 cubic inch. With Bubinga weighing 55lbs a cubic foot I came up with a total weight of butt with no other parts added at:
13.1597299935648 oz or approx. 13.16 oz.

Dick

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

joint-.825"
a-joint-1.06"
1.2"
1.24"

any educated guesses.

That's going to be a good looking cue. i've always liked the look of bubinga

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Is this cue turned round now? Is it tapered? Answer those two questions and post the diameter in the absolute middle of the butt. Also post the weight and length at that size and we should be able to calculate the finished weight of the butt pretty close.

masonh

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
thanks guys.looks like we have some mathematicians here.

i cut it today from 1.38ish to .960" and 1.30".i know huge cut right,but i am cue-less and want one fast.it's for me so if it moves it moves,no biggie.i also put a 6" long 3/4" dowel of Cocuswood in the front to add weight up there.i know it will throw off all of the guess,but the Cocuswood dowel weighed 2 oz,and is similar in weight to Ebony.not sure how much Bubinga i drilled out buy i would say slightly under 1.5oz.

it weighs 16.1oz without the pin right now.i didn't mic the a-joint but i think most of the front is about .100" oversize standard.it is still 29" right now but will be 28.75".i didn't get absolute center diameter,but i will tomorrow.

thanks for all the help guys.i decided to go with a short dowel up front after all the guesses of under 18oz.pretty cool programs i learned here as a result of this thread.

cubswin

Just call me Joe...
Silver Member

i cut it today from 1.38ish to .960" and 1.30".i know huge cut right,but i am cue-less and want one fast.it's for me so if it moves it moves,no biggie.i also put a 6" long 3/4" dowel of Cocuswood in the front to add weight up there.i know it will throw off all of the guess,but the Cocuswood dowel weighed 2 oz,and is similar in weight to Ebony.not sure how much Bubinga i drilled out buy i would say slightly under 1.5oz.

it weighs 16.1oz without the pin right now.i didn't mic the a-joint but i think most of the front is about .100" oversize standard.it is still 29" right now but will be 28.75".i didn't get absolute center diameter,but i will tomorrow.

thanks for all the help guys.i decided to go with a short dowel up front after all the guesses of under 18oz.pretty cool programs i learned here as a result of this thread.

If I had known you were cueless I'd of loaned you one.

masonh

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i haven't played at all in almost 2 years and i am starting to get back into playing.hopefully the cue will motivate me.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

The butt should have weighed in at about 13.7 ounces without any joint screw or weight bolt before you added the dowel.

masonh

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i think it was about an ounce heavier than that Chris,maybe i got lucky and found a nice dense piece.

i am cutting it again next week to .900" and i'll put the pin in and post the weight.i am hoping for 16oz with the pin at .900"

masonh

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
cut it to 1.27" and .880" and the cue weighs 16.2oz.i am thinking it might be close to 15oz after final sanding.

butting it to size in a few days.i'll keep posting progress.

rhncue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
cut it to 1.27" and .880" and the cue weighs 16.2oz.i am thinking it might be close to 15oz after final sanding.

butting it to size in a few days.i'll keep posting progress.

Is this with the joint, butt cap and pin installed or just the wood? I got my information of the weight of Bubinga at 55 lbs on the high side and 55lbs on the low side at this location: http://www.connectedlines.com/wood/wood16.htm
I am very sure that my calculations were correct when using your figures and the 55lb per cubic foot numbers. I can't hardly believe the weight difference would be so great.

Dick