3 rails made (some) sense in the situation

3RAILKICK

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I haven't been playing. It's been 4 months, 2 days and 11 hours but who's counting.

I entered a local Saturday tournament yesterday. I played bad. Hardly any noticeable decline in the tendency to miss close. I am rusty so I had no illusions of doing well in the tournament. I did think though that the pool gods would not torture me to this degree-just getting back to the game and all. Wrong.

I was playing OK b4 my break. I was rated only one ball above my capability at that time. But that's OK-it pushes me more to play smarter rather than shoot the wacky crap I like to shoot. Hell-I practice wacky crap. In case you're in a wacky crap-situation - you want options.

Anyway-I played a guy who shoots about 5/8 of a ball under me. (There ain't that much room under me). I give 3 games to 8. I lose the first 2. Then surprisingly I actually got even.(the wacky crap game finally kicked in).

To get even -I made a 3 rail kick (whatelse?) on the 7 to get out -See WEI for layout.

Oh-I lost. The other guys 'way-wacky crap' game was just too good.

In the last game he made the 7 by catching both points of the corner-it spit out and back banked into the originally intended pocket off the side rail with a lot of reverse. (Freddy woulda been proud). He made the 8 in the corner by jamming it at the side- catching both points again and making it in the downtable opposite corner. (a great 'golf' shot) He got perfect on the 9-straight in-a diamond apart to the corner. I told him 'that's good'. There was nothing more to be said. I got out-wackied-fair and square.

I provide these details-not to whine(OK-maybe a little) but to illustrate how crabby the pool gods can be if you are not putting in enough table time. They don't like being ignored-but then who does? Oh yeah and to brag a little about my one good shot of the day. One good shot will keep me coming back for more humiliation.

I love this game-good thing I'm used to karma crushing disappointments. Otherwise it would bother me.

When every shot's an adventure-it keeps it fun.


CueTable Help

@
 
Spot on the wall-

Yeah-pretty much.

I see what the table likes out of the corner to the corner/find a wall reference/then parallel over at the rail spot if not out of the corner/compare the two views/plus or minus spin. It's not that reliable-I just shoot it when there's not much else available.
 
Yeah-pretty much.

I see what the table likes out of the corner to the corner/find a wall reference/then parallel over at the rail spot if not out of the corner/compare the two views/plus or minus spin. It's not that reliable-I just shoot it when there's not much else available.

Huh?????????????????????????????????????????????
 
Huh?????????????????????????????????????????????

That was sort of my reaction too when I heard about spot-on-the-wall stuff. I guess it's a useful trick for helping aim certain system-type kicks. The spot never moves and gives you a good reference to help aim even when you're not on the kicking track.

Nice job btw mr. 3 rail. I would play the shot there too. It looks like showing off but it's really a pretty high percentage route on a table where you've dialed in the standard corner-to-corner 3 railer.
 
You asked for options...

If you own a jump cue, another option with what I think a higher percentage (if you can get over the 9) is to jump the cue into the 7 ball. The cue ball will stay there for shape on the 8 and less of a chance of selling out because it would be hit with a little speed giving a chance of the 7 leaving the pocket if missed. For short distance jumps that do not require perfect accuracy I prefer the dart method for jumping with touch.

But you played a great shot. It's just that so much depends on the condition of the rails and has to be hit with such great speed to cut the ball and stay low for the 8. Jumping would work if you hit it softly or a little too hard because you are coming into the ball fully instead of cutting it as needed for the 3 railer.

dave
 
Back
Top