Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Rigged Rack

Votes: 13 76.5%

• Total voters

TWOFORPOOL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What are the odds of a player making 5 10 Balls on the Break in 10 games? Same
player did it again making 4 10 Balls on the Break in 10 games. Both sets the 10 Ball went in the same corner pocket.

Very lucky or rigged rack?

Please vote! (Both sets recorded)

Last edited:

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
player did it again making 4 10 Balls on the Break in 10 games. Both sets the 10 Ball went in the same corner pocket.

Nobody's THAT lucky.

Maniac

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Really unlikely.

I've seen three in a row in tournament play at a PBT event in Cherry Hill, NJ in 1998, but five of them in a race to ten for a given player should probably only happen about once every 180,000 sets based on the binomial distribution and a probability of .03, a commonly quoted likelihood of snapping the ten.

If that same player had a break so good that their probability of snapping the ten is .04, five in a race to ten is closer to one chance in about 45,000.

Either way, it kind of once in a lifetime. Of course, maybe today's the day!

Last edited:

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Not enough information to vote.

With a tight template rack the 10 ball shouldn't move unless hit by another ball. The other balls don't track towards the 10 ball unless there is a strange kiss and usually a lot of ball movement.

I'd say if, somehow, the balls kissed the 10 ball in repeatedly, such as the four rail corner balls colliding and cutting it into the corner, then that is a clean 10 ball break. While statistically unlikely it isn't technically impossible and if it happened in such a way I'd be ok with it.

If the 10 ball keeps moving towards a corner after a break, going in directly several times, and being timed in the others, then it is a problem with the rack. I've seen triangle racks and some poor templates with mismatched balls result in the 10 ball tracking towards the corner. This is a bad rack.

Now, just because it is a bad rack doesn't mean it's rigged. Rigged to me implies deliberate manipulation. It could just be an unintentional bad rack due to lack of competence or difficult racking conditions.

In summary, I withheld my vote because there just isn't enough information as to how this played out.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
gotta agree

Not enough information to vote.

With a tight template rack the 10 ball shouldn't move unless hit by another ball. The other balls don't track towards the 10 ball unless there is a strange kiss and usually a lot of ball movement.

I'd say if, somehow, the balls kissed the 10 ball in repeatedly, such as the four rail corner balls colliding and cutting it into the corner, then that is a clean 10 ball break. While statistically unlikely it isn't technically impossible and if it happened in such a way I'd be ok with it.

If the 10 ball keeps moving towards a corner after a break, going in directly several times, and being timed in the others, then it is a problem with the rack. I've seen triangle racks and some poor templates with mismatched balls result in the 10 ball tracking towards the corner. This is a bad rack.

Now, just because it is a bad rack doesn't mean it's rigged. Rigged to me implies deliberate manipulation. It could just be an unintentional bad rack due to lack of competence or difficult racking conditions.

In summary, I withheld my vote because there just isn't enough information as to how this played out.

Some people are plain crappy rackers. They leave gaps or tilt the rack a little but always the same. They do this for themselves and for others. It isn't deliberate, more an issue of eyesight and skill.

Eight ball, not ten, I had somebody call the pocket four times on the break and make it three times. The fourth time the eight ball hung in the jaws pretty much of the pocket called. The first rack might have been less than perfect. I gave a good rack but with just the normal attention. The next three I insured perfection. If I was going to lose I was going to lose with the best rack I knew how to give!

Hu

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In Europe it does not matter.. 10 get re-spotted.
Sometimes with template it will give systematic small gap under the 10 and it is moving same way always..

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... With a tight template rack the 10 ball shouldn't move unless hit by another ball. ...
It seems to me that by now everyone who plays 10 ball and most of the people who play nine ball should know that the money ball in a tight (template) rack does not move unless kissed. If it moves without being kissed by a ball that ricocheted off a rail, the rack was funny.

Sometimes the gaps that make the money ball dead are intentional and sometimes they are from carelessness, but there are always gaps in a rack that moves the money ball.

Yes, it would be good to know more about the situation.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Please vote! (Both sets recorded)
NO chance of that happening. Not even on a bar-box. Somethin' gaffy goin on imo.

Last edited: