bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have always loved that draw shot by Corey Deuel from US Open 2004 and I have always dreamt about playing that shot one day. But I lacked both the stroke and equipment to be able to do that. I guess that is no longer true :)
Enjoy!
P.s.: my cloth is about 3 months old, if it was brand new I would be able to bend the cueball way more ;)
Corey Deuel's draw shot recreation
nice shot but corey did it right handed...... 😂 😂 😂
just kidding of course

kollegedave

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My view is that non-bored maple shaft was a must for such shot,I am yet to see that shot played with LD maple shaft. For me that combo of Ignite shaft/Exceed butt did the trick which allowed me to make that shot 😉
I am not positive, but I am pretty sure Corey was shooting with a Z2 at the time. I have played with Z2 shaft for a few months, and I feel the opposite. For most of the modern day iconic stroke shots, players are using some kind of LD shaft. For me, I get way more action with my Cuetec Cynergy than with a maple shaft--it is what caused me to switch from regular maple to LD. If there was a maple shaft to compare with a carbon fiber for action on the cue ball, I think the Z2 would be that shaft.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have always loved that draw shot by Corey Deuel from US Open 2004 and I have always dreamt about playing that shot one day. But I lacked both the stroke and equipment to be able to do that. I guess that is no longer true :)
Enjoy!
P.s.: my cloth is about 3 months old, if it was brand new I would be able to bend the cueball way more ;)
Corey Deuel's draw shot recreation
Nice job!

Here's my best effort at the shot (not as good as yours):

Now try Corey's elevated draw from the rail:

Good luck and have fun!

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Does this count? I wasnt sure where exactly should cueball stand,i first tried to play it directly off the rail but I didnt find it possible to apply enough draw that way (at least not for me) so i placed cueball 1cm off the rail which is still ridiculously close for that shot. Enjoy!
Nice. I'll give you credit for that one. :cool:

Reactions: bbb

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Does this count? I wasnt sure where exactly should cueball stand,i first tried to play it directly off the rail but I didnt find it possible to apply enough draw that way (at least not for me) so i placed cueball 1cm off the rail which is still ridiculously close for that shot. Enjoy!
i only dream about making that shot
great stroke

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thank you,but that stroke alone is not actually that hard,the tough part is the aim...
to me its all part of the same
meaning
you have to be lined up perfectly straight (I take that part fpr granted)
and
you have to deliver the cue straight thru the cueball
with the proper speed and tempo and tip placement to do it
after all of that
i guess its easy.... 😂

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
How much space do you have between the rail and cueball? I cant tell neither from your vid nor from the original Corey vid. Because you both seemed to be able to dig much lower on the cueball than I did..

My gap was about 1/2". I think it was similar for Corey.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
That would be about 1.3cm which is slightly more than I did (1cm). If I get bored during practice I may give it a try once again as any extra space is huge with this shot :)
There are videos around of Larry Nevel shooting the long, straight draw shot with the cue ball frozen to the cushion. I think the tip has to go partly through the nose of the cushion. I've been told that Larry has shoulder problems from such shots.

Here's one. Look at about 2:00