626 is it legit?

Danny Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
I am genuinely interested in some input here, does anyone question the legitimacy of Schmidt's mystery tape of 626 that helped get hin into the hall f fame and his new cue sponsr. If you believe he did it then that is cool with me, but if you have not seen an unedited tape providing proof then I am not interested in your vote. Please do not try to discredit this post if yer on john's fakebook page and want to try to be a good puppet - not interested in yer view either. So again I am only interested in non biased opinions here as I do smell an expired rodent in relation to the 626 mystery tape. Drive by fake news media is not a joke to me and should not be treated as such either.

RabbiHippie

"Look! A real hippie!"
Silver Member
https://cdn.ymaws.com/bca-pool.com/resource/resmgr/press_releases/schmidt_new_high_run_record_.pdf

The BCA reviewed the unedited tape before formally announcing that Schmidt broke the record. That gives credibility to the claim.

I’m sure the BCA has its faults, but it is the recognized body for the sport and is generally perceived as a reputable organization. The BCA gains very little from recognizing Schmidt’s run, but has a lot to lose (reputation-wise) if ever it was found that the evidence didn’t support their public statement. The last thing any bureaucratic organization wants is to issue a retraction.

I shoot fairly often at Billiard of Springfield, by the way. The locals are all proud of your accomplishments as a player. Have you considered making your own concerted effort at breaking Schmidt’s record? Many people think you’re one of the few who are capable of doing it. It would probably require the same full-time commitment that it did for Schmidt.

Seems like the sweetest resolution to this debate would be to snatch the record away from him. Just make sure that you don’t make the same mistake he did by failing to post the video on YouTube while it was still newsworthy. Trust me, money will come with more eyeballs.

Last edited:

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
https://cdn.ymaws.com/bca-pool.com/resource/resmgr/press_releases/schmidt_new_high_run_record_.pdf

The BCA reviewed the unedited tape before formally announcing that Schmidt broke the record. That gives credibility to the claim.

I’m sure the BCA has its faults, but it is the recognized body for the sport and is generally perceived as a reputable organization. The BCA gains very little from recognizing Schmidt’s run, but has a lot to lose (reputation-wise) if ever it was found that the evidence didn’t support their public statement. The last thing any bureaucratic organization wants is to issue a retraction.

/thread
:thumbup:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I shoot fairly often at Billiard of Springfield, by the way. The locals are all proud of your accomplishments as a player. Have you considered making your own concerted effort at breaking Schmidt’s record? Many people think you’re one of the few who are capable of doing it. It would probably require the same full-time commitment that it did for Schmidt.

Seems like the sweetest resolution to this debate would be to snatch the record away from him. Just make sure that you don’t make the same mistake he did by failing to post the video on YouTube while it was still newsworthy. Trust me, money will come with more eyeballs.
Weren't there actual, living humans that witnessed this?
Why is this such a hot-button issue for some people? Mosconi's record wasn't recorded yet everyone accepted it due to eye-witnesses. Shouldn't that be enough?? This whole "did he really do it?" drama is kinda lame imo.

xradarx

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Legit

I am genuinely interested in some input here, does anyone question the legitimacy of Schmidt's mystery tape of 626 that helped get hin into the hall f fame and his new cue sponsr. If you believe he did it then that is cool with me, but if you have not seen an unedited tape providing proof then I am not interested in your vote. Please do not try to discredit this post if yer on john's fakebook page and want to try to be a good puppet - not interested in yer view either. So again I am only interested in non biased opinions here as I do smell an expired rodent in relation to the 626 mystery tape. Drive by fake news media is not a joke to me and should not be treated as such either.

Of course it's legit. Quit being jealous

Yes this..

Legit.

Sent from my Moto Z2 Play using Tapatalk

/thread
:thumbup:

Weren't there actual, living humans that witnessed this?
Why is this such a hot-button issue for some people? Mosconi's record wasn't recorded yet everyone accepted it due to eye-witnesses. Shouldn't that be enough?? This whole "did he really do it?" drama is kinda lame imo.
No UNBIASED WITNESS(es). Run started at 10:00AM and ended at 2:07PM. Business was only open to public @ 1:00PM. No one, unbiased, could have seen more than one hour, seven minutes of the run. All affidavit signees were biased with six out of the eight signees being JS team members. STILL ONLY QUALIFIES AS A PRACTICE RUN, nothing to do with 14.1 Straight Pool/Continuous. TIME TO PUT UP OR SHUT UP!

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No UNBIASED WITNESS(es). Run started at 10:00AM and ended at 2:07PM. Business was only open to public @ 1:00PM. No one, unbiased, could have seen more than one hour, seven minutes of the run. All affidavit signees were biased with six out of the eight signees being JS team members. STILL ONLY QUALIFIES AS A PRACTICE RUN, nothing to do with 14.1 Straight Pool/Continuous. TIME TO PUT UP OR SHUT UP!
Pretty much same as Mosconi's run. Held in a local pool hall full of WM lovers. Please.

sjm

Sweating it at Derby City
Silver Member

This is how I feel, too. The BCA had no vested interest in recognizing this record. It's not as if the BCA has tried to use it to stir up interest in 14.1 or in anything else, for that matter. They claim to have witnessed the run from start to finish and have deemed it valid. That's good enough for me.

xradarx

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
BCA operated by CSI

This is how I feel, too. The BCA had no vested interest in recognizing this record. It's not as if the BCA has tried to use it to stir up interest in 14.1 or in anything else, for that matter. They claim to have witnessed the run from start to finish and have deemed it valid. That's good enough for me.
Two staff members witnessed the video and recognized this for their membership. They evidently then and still now do not know or acknowledge their own rules of pocket pool games. They, as all of these pool organizations are only existing for the MONEY brought into their organizations. They believe as do most of these organizations that if they keep telling their membership the same thing over and over, that they will believe it to be true. Never going to happen. Too many knowledgeable pool players left in America to have the wool pulled over their eyes this easily. There is very little money to be made from this fictitious claim. Post the unedited video!

Danny Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
hmm

I have been the last American standing at the Dragon 14.1 event (bronze medal), 1st place at the dcc straight pool challenge (both high run and tournament winner). I just wonder why I am unable to view the tape with my own eyes? I understand that Guinness Book of World Records does not acknowledge their claim as an actual record - is this because it has not been released for the main public to view?
I understand the 'semi public' can view it however? I am obviously not apart of the semi public or I would have seen it already, anyone who believes all they hear or read (without first seeing solid evidence) is a bit of a fool imho.

Kipchoge (Kenya) broke the 2 hr barrier in the marathon in a non traditional race format a couple months back, it was live streamed and OPEN for GENERAL PUBLIC to see on the tube. I do not see the same transparency in relation to schmidt and charlie's claim of this mystery 626 or the bca for that matter. Please note that I have competed against John many times in 14.1 and I acknowledge that he is an accomplished Straight Pool player who is capable of running 600 + on a 5" pocket table - I just want to know why they have not released the tape for the people to see. Also if there is not a visible line drawn around the triangle for us to see what balls are in or out of the rack - I would immediately discredit this run, if there is no line drawn around triangle - they will be using a large/thick triangle to rack with - as to help create more space for possible break shots (cheating). Till I see evidence - I will remain very skeptical. All of John's new sponsors / 14.1 hall of fame deal happened after the bca announced his new record - without releasing any footage to the general public. There seems to be some hidden pockets here - all I'm asking for is a little clarity on this mystery tape. Otherwise there just using his name to make a phony claim. My record against him is good in tournament competition - so I really have nothing to be jealous about ha ha. Besides I have no big sponsors and would probly never practice on 5" pockets anyhue.

Not really sure the difference between the semi public and general public - but it does sound kinda divisive, Anyone care to comment on why only the 'semi public' are allowed to see the private viewing of this tape? Just because of my list of accomplishments in the 14.1 discipline - does not give me anymore of a right to see proof, I am just like the rest of the general public - not allowed to see evidence after 9 months of this possible phony claim. Also if u believe everything u hear I am not interested in yer input either. I really feel that in order for john to get the hall of fame and new cue sponsor deal he had to come up with some new accomplishment - so they targeted Mosconi's record and then this hidden pocket mystery tape. The reason they will not release or try to market it in a traditional way - because the tape will not pass and has been altered. I am not the only one with this opinion either. his new cue sponsor will soon be trying to sell a cue that says mr. 626, the cue will probly be available to general public for sale but I would imagine they (the powers at b) will hide the tape for some time from the general public. I think semi public = john's facebook followers/ oblivious sheep.

Last edited:

xradarx

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Guinness World Record Application

I have been the last American standing at the Dragon 14.1 event (bronze medal), 1st place at the dcc straight pool challenge (both high run and tournament winner). I just wonder why I am unable to view the tape with my own eyes? I understand that Guinness Book of World Records does not acknowledge their claim as an actual record - is this because it has not been released for the main public to view?Proof of record attempt must be released to Guinness World Records prior to consideration. Never going to happen.
I understand the 'semi public' can view it however? I am obviously not apart of the semi public or I would have seen it already, anyone who believes all they hear or read (without first seeing solid evidence) is a bit of a fool imho.

Kipchoge (Kenya) broke the 2 hr barrier in the marathon in a non traditional race format a couple months back, it was live streamed and OPEN for GENERAL PUBLIC to see on the tube. I do not see the same transparency in relation to schmidt and charlie's claim of this mystery 626 or the bca for that matter. Please note that I have competed against John many times in 14.1 and I acknowledge that he is an accomplished Straight Pool player who is capable of running 600 + on a 5" pocket table - I just want to know why they have not released the tape for the people to see. Please keep in mind that if they have not drawn a line around the triangle for us to see what balls are in or out of the rack - I would immediately discredit this run, if there is no line drawn around triangle - they will be using a large/thick triangle to rack with - as to help create more space for possible break shots. Till I see evidence - I will remain very skeptical. All of John's new sponsors / 14.1 hall of fame deal happened after the bca announced his new record - without releasing any footage to the general public. There seems to be some hidden pockets here - all I'm asking for is a little clarity on this mystery tape. Otherwise there just using his name to make a phony claim. My record against him is good in tournament competition - so I really have nothing to be jealous about ha ha. Besides I have no big sponsors and would probly never practice on 5" pockets anyhue.
Legit World Record, NOT.

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
I have been the last American standing at the Dragon 14.1 event (bronze medal), 1st place at the dcc straight pool challenge (both high run and tournament winner). I just wonder why I am unable to view the tape with my own eyes? I understand that Guinness Book of World Records does not acknowledge their claim as an actual record - is this because it has not been released for the main public to view?

Kipchoge (Kenya) broke the 2 hr barrier in the marathon in a non traditional race format a couple months back, it was live streamed and OPEN for GENERAL PUBLIC to see on the tube. I do not see the same transparency in relation to schmidt and charlie's claim of this mystery 626 or the bca for that matter. Please note that I have competed against John many times in 14.1 and I acknowledge that he is an accomplished Straight Pool player who is capable of running 600 + on a 5" pocket table - I just want to know why they have not released the tape for the people to see. Please keep in mind that if they have not drawn a line around the triangle for us to see what balls are in or out of the rack - I would immediately discredit this run, if there is no line drawn around triangle - they will be using a large/thick triangle to rack with - as to help create more space for possible break shots. Till I see evidence - I will remain very skeptical. All of John's new sponsors / 14.1 hall of fame deal happened after the bca announced his new record - without releasing any footage to the general public. There seems to be some hidden pockets here - all I'm asking for is a little clarity on this mystery tape. Otherwise there just using his name to make a phony claim. My record against him is good in tournament competition - so I really have nothing to be jealous about ha ha. Besides I have no big sponsors and would probly never practice on 5" pockets anyhue.

Not really sure the difference between the semi public and general public - but it does sound kinda divisive, Anyone care to comment on why only the 'semi public' are allowed to see the private viewing of this tape? Just because of my list of accomplishments in the 14.1 discipline - does not give me anymore of a right to see proof, I am just like the rest of the general public - not allowed to see evidence after 9 months of this possible phony claim. Also if u believe everything u hear I am not interested in yer input either. I really feel that in order for john to get the hall of fame and new cue sponsor deal he had to come up with some new accomplishment - so they targeted Mosconi's record and then this hidden pocket mystery tape. The reason they will not release or try to market it in a traditional way - because the tape will not pass and has been altered. I am not the only one with this opinion either. his new cue sponsor will soon be trying to sell a cue that says mr. 626, the cue will probly be available to general public for sale but I would imagine they (the powers at b) will hide the tape for some time from the general public. I think semi public = john's facebook followers/ oblivious sheep.

I think the record is legit. For one, I've seen JS' other runs, and though his patterns are very unorthodox, his shotmaking and short position control are out of this world. He has several legit 400+ runs, and 626 isn't far fetched, given enough attempts.

Even IF the run is a fake and doctored in some way, I do not posess the expertise to determine that this is the case. If there is any professional involved in that hypothetical forgery, it would pretty much be impossible for a layman to spot.

We do not have any "claim" to be able to view the video, it's his to do with as he wishes. It's sad that he chose the route he did, mostly for the promotion of the game, but also to enthusiasts, like myself, who would very much like to see the video, for a number of reasons.

I'd love for some guy to absolutely WRECK JS' record and upload it to Youtube. Not many candidates for that task, and they weren't exactly lining up to beat the previous record either, so it may not happen for many years, if at all. Ours is a dying game.

xradarx

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
14.1 Straight Pool Continuous

I think the record is legit. For one, I've seen JS' other runs, and though his patterns are very unorthodox, his shotmaking and short position control are out of this world. He has several legit 400+ runs, and 626 isn't far fetched, given enough attempts.

Even IF the run is a fake and doctored in some way, I do not posess the expertise to determine that this is the case. If there is any professional involved in that hypothetical forgery, it would pretty much be impossible for a layman to spot.

We do not have any "claim" to be able to view the video, it's his to do with as he wishes. It's sad that he chose the route he did, mostly for the promotion of the game, but also to enthusiasts, like myself, who would very much like to see the video, for a number of reasons.

I'd love for some guy to absolutely WRECK JS' record and upload it to Youtube. Not many candidates for that task, and they weren't exactly lining up to beat the previous record either, so it may not happen for many years, if at all. Ours is a dying game.
This game is not dying, but the players who(m) can play it well, sure as hell are. Mosconi died and took his playing secrets with him to the grave. People viewing his videos of him playing cannot and never will figure out what he was doing to play the game as well as he did. He would still be able to keep all of his opponents in today's world glued to their seats watching him play his game. Sorry, but that's the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. Best ever, forever.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am not sure why any of this matters anyhow- how many other sports count non-competitive achievements in their record books? We measure greats in sports by their competitive achievements, not what they do in practice- pocket billiards should be no different. John has not been among the greats in competitive 14.1, that IS on record for all to see. Guinness book records are just about conversation points and have no bearing on evaluating greatness in sports.

sjm

Sweating it at Derby City
Silver Member
I am not sure why any of this matters anyhow- how many other sports count non-competitive achievements in their record books? We measure greats in sports by their competitive achievements, not what they do in practice- pocket billiards should be no different. John has not been among the greats in competitive 14.1, that IS on record for all to see. Guinness book records are just about conversation points and have no bearing on evaluating greatness in sports.

I've made this point before on the forum more than once. When I do, it is usually followed by a pronounced assault on my sanity and dignity by other posters. John's run was a fine achievement, an undeniably historic accomplishment, but only the truly delusional believe that this run places John above so many players of this era that have outperformed him in 14.1 competition.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've made this point before on the forum more than once. When I do, it is usually followed by a pronounced assault on my sanity and dignity by other posters. John's run was a fine achievement, an undeniably historic accomplishment, but only the truly delusional believe that this run places John above so many players of this era that have outperformed him in 14.1 competition.
Agree 100%. It was an exhibition run, nothing more. TOTALLY different deal than missing a ball and possibly not shooting again.