7 foot diamond ruining my game

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The OP has stated pocket size or cut isn't the issue. He can't adjust to the different speeds of the tables.
Oh contrair....

Post 50...
Smaller table and the way it plays are what I mean. The deal shelves make the corner pockets reject some shots that should go. I just don’t feel like I can let my stroke out.

Post 55...
I have and can adjust to those type of shots, but my point is I shouldn’t have to. Those shots go, playing off the long rail on a normal pool table.

Then on post 103...

Your assessment is pretty accurate. One of my biggest problems is shooting on the diamond, I have to shoot so much softer. Then when I play on any other type of table, my speed is way off. As for hitting center pocket, I’m ok in that aspect. Rattling balls isn’t so much the issue. The diamonds are fine if it’s all you ever play on, but for my situation it’s just too different from all other pool tables and the practice time is not as effective as it is with a real table, like a GC.

So..... which is it? Is it because balls rattle in the pro cut pockets? Or isnt it? Or should he have gotten league cut pockets? Or is it a psychological thing..... remorse for getting rid of the beloved Gold Crown?

I can understand the latter. I wouldn't want to see a Gold Crown go either.

Since the wife wont play on it, dump the Diamond and buy another Gold Crown. Someone would love to have the Diamond. Problem solved.

Last edited:

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Used. When I was looking to buy I couldn’t find anywhere that could get one in less than 3 months and I was impatient.

I’m a do it yourself guy, but I would never even try to pretend I had the skill to set up or adjust a table properly.
What color is the name plate badge on the head rail?

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I played on Diamond nine footers set up by glen. They played great except for being faster than greased owl shit! Then a local guy recovered some. Looked great, played like garbage. A poorly set up Diamond plays as poorly as any other table set up badly, maybe worse! Before shooting I had to consider which table I was on and which pocket I was shooting at. More like putt-putt than pool so it wasn't long before I dodged those tables. Sure I could adjust but adjusting to those tables would be like adjusting to some cheap home tables a new hall tried to open with. No time at all before they were gone and they had a great location, probably would have been a success with real tables.

Two tables did the most for my game. The first was a Sears and Roebuck junk eight footer. I did buy a top quality set of balls to play with. Cost me more than the table did used! The room it was in was parallel to the hall of the house. My bedroom and the bathroom were at one end of the house, the kitchen and TV at the other. I made myself a rule that I couldn't go from end to end of the house without hitting at least one rack. Need I say I hit a lot of racks since even a whiz meant hitting a rack going each way? The fake slate wasn't level, lousy cloth, the pockets basically didn't have a shelf and were the size of a #2 washtub. Besides regular play and practice, I did this for maybe a year or more. Helped my game a ton!

A few years later I was a little bored with practice at my pool hall and I got a set of snooker balls and assaulted the snooker tables set up for golf. These pockets were tight by any standard except maybe russian pyramid tables! The first day I think it cost me two hours table time to play three games with my friend and we only loosely played snooker, no penalties. A new challenge, I put in a few hours every day on those snooker tables. Sometimes I was having so much fun I kept practicing by myself on that snooker table instead of going try to find action which wasn't hard to find.

Note that these tables were polar opposites yet both helped my game a bunch! If your table is set up poorly you are going to have to get a good mechanic in to fix it. However, if the pockets are consistent you are going to have to learn to play on that table. For starters, until you get a better feel for the table move your grip hand way up on the cue, three or four inches, and bunt. Almost every shot can be made without moving your hand back After you get speed control, start easing your hand back.

A story about changing, I was an ACAD drafting software user back in the nineties. I was good, I was fast, I was happy. Then my boss told me I had to learn Intergraph PC too, another drafting program. It was strange and it was cumbersome! Things I could do with one click with ACAD took me three to five clicks with Intergraph. I hated it and the battle was on. I was trying to draw while this mental battle went on. I hated Intergraph! Did I mention I hated Intergraph PC with a purple passion?? Then one day I had a huge breakthrough. Intergraph wasn't ACAD, it wasn't ever going to be, and I had to deal with what was, not what I thought should be. I probably doubled my speed using Intergraph in the first week after I had resolved my mental conflict. It still wasn't ACAD, but it wasn't as bad as it seemed while I had a mental battle going on nonstop while I was trying to work.

Tightening down the rail bolts as glen suggests is a good idea. Also using a straight edge and some kind of divider or caliber to accurately check if your table is in need of expert attention. A table at home should help your game. Too, when you run across Diamonds while others struggle you will be ready to kick ass and take names!

Good Luck!

Hu

bowiebill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What color is the name plate badge on the head rail?
Red, but the table was converted by diamond to the same specs as blue according to original owner. I believed him because he had 4 pool tables and 75-100k worth of billiards equipment in his 4 car garage converted home pool room. The place was amazing.

Nyquil

Red, but the table was converted by diamond to the same specs as blue according to original owner. I believed him because he had 4 pool tables and 75-100k worth of billiards equipment in his 4 car garage converted home pool room. The place was amazing.
I think the conversion may have been done wrong. Something sounds off with your table....

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Measure the distance from nose to nose across the table, side to side and I'll tell you if it was converted in not.

9andout

Gunnin' for a 3 pack!!
Silver Member
I have 9' GCI with tight 4 1/2" pockets at home but play league and all tournaments on barboxes, not by choice. I don't feel there is a big difference between the two and I would be hard pressed to say practicing on my 9' table helped me at all, if it did I would say its psychological.
I definitely play better when I venture out to play in bars. Every time. 9' Diamond here at home.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
It looks like 39 and 15/16ths
Unless those rails were traded out, they're still the red label design. I need to see a picture of the rail cloth right in front of the finish of the rails. The first in of the rail cloth on top of the rails, is that cloth right there flat, and higher than the finish of the rails, or does it slop down a little in the direction if the nose of the cushion.

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
I own a 9 ft Diamond, set up by Glen. I just helped install a 7 ft Diamond at my sons house, set up by one of Glens students.
Both tables play very well. Switching from one to the other is not a big deal. I love Gold Crowns but these Diamonds are a cut above. It has taken very little for me to adapt from one to another. After all its just shooting balls in holes.

bowiebill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Unless those rails were traded out, they're still the red label design. I need to see a picture of the rail cloth right in front of the finish of the rails. The first in of the rail cloth on top of the rails, is that cloth right there flat, and higher than the finish of the rails, or does it slop down a little in the direction if the nose of the cushion.
The rubber is flat with the hard part of the rail, and slopes slightly down to the nose of the rail that the balls touch.

tried to upload pics but it says file is too large. Pm me your phone number and I’ll text them to you.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
The rubber is flat with the hard part of the rail, and slopes slightly down to the nose of the rail that the balls touch.

tried to upload pics but it says file is too large. Pm me your phone number and I’ll text them to you.