A master cumaker and man has died

poke&hope

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I felt the death of Mike Erwin might have been overlooked in a previous thread so instead of adding to it, I felt should be in the title of a new thread.

My wife and I traveled from South Carolina to MIkes home about 10 years ago just to meet the man that made the great cues that so many played with in this area of the country.

He and Scott who was a young man at that time made us feel very welcome. He was a humble man who just wanted to work, do his best make a living providing for his family.

He was'nt a braggart, did a lot of work for pool players with little money at less than fair prices. He would take on many cue problems that others with big names would not because there was not a lot of money to be made.

He was what I would call as the bible says, the salt of the earth. I have met a lot of people and cuemakers but he made a big impression on me. He reminded me of the southern men of my past.

Although wlth not a lot he was proud of his work and turned out better work than others who had a lot more resources . His dedication and compassion for his family and fellow man came first.

I feel so sad to hear of Mikes passing and hurt for Scott who has been there for him and will continue his legacy.May God bless the family of Mr. MIke Erwin Master cuemaker, Master human being now with the Master of us all.

p.s. Where can you send help for the family?

jhanso18

Broken Lock
Silver Member
Truly sad. The cue making world is a little darker today. This thread should not be over looked. I did not know him well, but he did build good stuff.

R.I.P.

Justin

worktheknight

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My Mike Erwin Cue

A work of art from Mike Erwin

Bowmer, I think your tribute idea is wonderful, please find my personal erwin cue shown. I can't think of a better way to show respect to Mike Erwin and Scott Erwin other than post some of their work.

Attachments

• erwin 116-A-1.jpg
    erwin 116-A-1.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 1,211
  • erwin 116-A-2.jpg
    erwin 116-A-2.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 1,178
  • erwin 116-A-3.jpg
    erwin 116-A-3.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 1,135
  • erwin 116-A-6.jpg
    erwin 116-A-6.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 1,045
Last edited:

worktheknight

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bump for a start on a tribute to Mike Erwin by posting photo's of his work. I really do hope others follow.

worktheknight

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jon,
Very rare to see dated cues from Mike Erwin. Your blue reflection series does have a date of 9-11 ?? A keeper for sure. Nice collection.

Jobba786

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jon,
Very rare to see dated cues from Mike Erwin. Your blue reflection series does have a date of 9-11 ?? A keeper for sure. Nice collection.

The Erwin cue to the right with linen wrap had the following signature: Mike & Scott Erwin 4-05. The signature was under the wrap. It now has a stacked leather wrap.

The cue with Mirada (?? not sure which wood that is, looks similar to Bocote and Ziricote) forearm, ivory needlewood inside the points, turqoise diamond and abalone dots and burgundy print iguana wrap was made in 2011 (shipped from Mike in October 2011).

I have received three of my Erwin cues from AZers :)

-Jon Birger

Last edited:

Mikiemopa

pechauer dealer
Silver Member
When I get home this weekend I'll post some pics of mine, and that reflection cue has a date because that's how I had him make all my cues, I don't know what the one that he almost had finished will say. God Bless Mike

deadnutz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mike was my friend and I will never part with these.

Here's a "set" of Titlist conversions Mike built for me. Everytime I screw them together I'll hear that big southern draw in my head. I miss him already. They are, a purpleheart player, walnut breaker, and rosewood jump butt. All wrapless Titlists from the 50's.
48f57f2d.jpg
[/IMG]
c7ecbebb.jpg
[/IMG]
27101D69-934C-4CFB-A5DA-2EC1F75E4CBF-9196-00000C63CBEC2F27.jpg
[/IMG]
4731D0B3-B71D-4EB1-A3F6-D50C7815B906-731-0000005D9DDCF67F.jpg
[/IMG]

rjb1168

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Mike & Scott did alot of real nice refinish work for us, I will miss that and Im sure Scott will carry on the Erwin craftmanship.
R.I.P Mike Erwin

worktheknight

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have enjoyed seeing some different cues posted so far, there has to be tons more. Hopefully more az'ers will post.

Mikiemopa

pechauer dealer
Silver Member
Pics

Finally a day with sunshine here.

Attachments

• IMAG0250.jpg
    IMAG0250.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 191
  • IMAG0251.jpg
    IMAG0251.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 184
  • IMAG0252.jpg
    IMAG0252.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 184
  • IMAG0253.jpg
    IMAG0253.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 186

Mikiemopa

pechauer dealer
Silver Member
Simple but great

This was my player for a while, now its my dads, it has one of those really long taper shaft

Attachments

• IMAG0254.jpg
    IMAG0254.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 257
  • IMAG0255.jpg
    IMAG0255.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 263
  • IMAG0256.jpg
    IMAG0256.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 181

worktheknight

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bump to the top as it's been eight months since Mike's passing and wish more azer's would post more photo's of the Erwin's work. So many breath taking cues he made. Please post some photo's or if you know someone has an Erwin, please post it. His various work was stunning. Give Scott a shout as he is carrying on super work that his father has taught him.