A real CTE shot for you to try.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
With all due respect if I said this to Stan I would again be labeled a hater. You apparently are not using the method Stan teaches because you are using "natural instinct" which is anything but natural. It is a result of HAMB and learning what successful shots look like. Like I showed in my post about all this, many CTE shots will not be successful unless you learn to adjust for throw. This is something Stan rejects because it puts a crack in the idea that the CTE method does the aiming for you, making it unique.
Heaven forbid if you recommend a little outside english or aim to over cut the ball .

mohrt

Student of the Game
Silver Member
With all due respect if I said this to Stan I would again be labeled a hater. You apparently are not using the method Stan teaches because you are using "natural instinct" which is anything but natural. It is a result of HAMB and learning what successful shots look like. Like I showed in my post about all this, many CTE shots will not be successful unless you learn to adjust for throw. This is something Stan rejects because it puts a crack in the idea that the CTE method does the aiming for you, making it unique.
I guess I'll repeat myself? CTE is an aiming system. As for CIT, I largely don't think about it, apparently CTE handles it quite well across a broad category of shots. But I also don't think CTE is labeled as a perfect correction for CIT on any and all shot situations. Link me to that statement if it exists, interested in what was said.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I guess I'll repeat myself? CTE is an aiming system. As for CIT, I largely don't think about it, apparently CTE handles it quite well across a broad category of shots. But I also don't think CTE is labeled as a perfect correction for CIT on any and all shot situations. Link me to that statement if it exists, interested in what was said.
Stan says it flat out in his throw videos. You don't have to think about throw because YOU are handling it, not CTE. Why is that so hard for people to believe?

mohrt

Student of the Game
Silver Member
Stan says it flat out in his throw videos. You don't have to think about throw because YOU are handling it, not CTE. Why is that so hard for people to believe?
Link to the video you have in mind. Thanks. And I don't have to think about it because most shots don't really require any adjustment for CIT. Just ones where I'm shooting pocket speed, for instance. I'm not denying CIT exists, if that's what you are getting at. TBH this thread is about trying a test shot and reporting back not debates about CIT and CTE. We've gone way off topic.

Last edited:

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
There is only one place where you will see the SL and AL perfectly.
Maybe for one distance between CB and OB - but for the exact same cut angle, when the CB/OB distance changes, so does the AL's angle to the SL (except for AL edge-to-B, which is always parallel to the center-to-edge SL). Here's how A and C angles change with the CB/OB distance at 2 diamonds vs. 1 diamond.

Just an observation...

pj
chgo

CTE Aim Lines.jpg

Last edited:

mohrt

Student of the Game
Silver Member
Maybe for one distance between CB and OB - but for the exact same cut angle, when the CB/OB distance changes, so does the AL's angle to the SL (except for AL edge-to-B, which is always parallel to the center-to-edge SL). Here's how A and C angles change with the CB/OB distance at 2 diamonds vs. 1 diamond.

Just an observation...

pj
chgo

View attachment 591189
Yes, and this is indicative of needing to "poke your head out" further on those closer shots, so see that AL correctly. Your photo isn't quite correct though, the SL also moves laterally with the AL. We didn't get into anything but the 30 for this thread.

Last edited:

mohrt

Student of the Game
Silver Member
Do you mean further for A lines and less for C lines (since they angle opposite ways)?

pj
chgo
They don't angle in opposite ways, as I just stated the SL moves laterally with the AL. For instance, when the AL is on "A", the SL is one tick outside of "C". When the AL is "B", the SL is the right edge of the OB. When the AL is "C", the SL is 1/2 inch in space off the edge of the OB. In all cases, as the CB and OB move into close proximity, it requires the head poked out slightly more to see the AL correctly.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
They don't angle in opposite ways, as I just stated the SL moves laterally with the AL. For instance, when the AL is on "A", the SL is one tick outside of "C". When the AL is "B", the SL is the right edge of the OB. When the AL is "C", the SL is 1/2 inch in space off the edge of the OB. In all cases, as the CB and OB move into close proximity, it requires the head poked out slightly more to see the AL correctly.
facepalm.JPG

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, and this is indicative of needing to "poke your head out" further on those closer shots, so see that AL correctly. Your photo isn't quite correct though, the SL also moves laterally with the AL. We didn't get into anything but the 30 for this thread.
Just wanna hop on this bit since it reflects what I've been saying post Truth Series. Poking your head out will re-bias your torso. That's the body assembly your stroke is hanging off. You say it will work for anyone?

mohrt

Student of the Game
Silver Member
Just wanna hop on this bit since it reflects what I've been saying post Truth Series. Poking your head out will re-bias your torso. That's the body assembly your stroke is hanging off. You say it will work for anyone?
Your body follows the eyes. You align your body/torso along with your head/eyes at ball address. Then there are some elbow and stroke specifics for inside and outside pivots, they are covered in the truth series videos.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Your body follows the eyes. You align your body/torso along with your head/eyes at ball address. Then there are some elbow and stroke specifics for inside and outside pivots, they are covered in the truth series videos.
Exactly. My method such as it is, is more centralized. Center ball, backhand english, Contact geometry with 1 linear stroke for everything...

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
mohrt - I spent some time trying to use the system with the new face turn thing. You say after you find the AL and SL you then focus on the inside edge of the cue ball and find the "new" cb center with peripheral vision. This then gives you the NISL. The problem I have is that a line has two ends and the center of the cb is just one end. When I find that cb center by averting my eyes I don't understand how to find the other end of the line so I can put my cue down on it (the NISL).

mohrt

Student of the Game
Silver Member
mohrt - I spent some time trying to use the system with the new face turn thing. You say after you find the AL and SL you then focus on the inside edge of the cue ball and find the "new" cb center with peripheral vision. This then gives you the NISL. The problem I have is that a line has two ends and the center of the cb is just one end. When I find that cb center by averting my eyes I don't understand how to find the other end of the line so I can put my cue down on it (the NISL).

The NISL goes through the center core of the CB. It is a single straight line. As this is a right pivot, it helps to bring the cue stick in 1/2 tip to the right so once you see it the cue pivots there easily with the pivot already on the NISL. Adjust slightly as necessary to be exactly on the line. At proficiency you slide your cue on in one movement.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The NISL goes through the center core of the CB. It is a single straight line. As this is a right pivot, it helps to bring the cue stick in 1/2 tip to the right so once you see it the cue pivots there easily with the pivot already on the NISL. Adjust slightly as necessary to be exactly on the line. At proficiency you slide your cue on in one movement.
OK I understand. The line extends from the front of the cb you can see through the center core of the ball.

mohrt

Student of the Game
Silver Member
You are right but tbh everything about CTE aiming is so bizarre that I did not want to assume that the NISL went through the core of the cb.
I would recommend watching the truth series to get all the correct info.