A run of 21 at 3-cushion on YouTube

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Here is a YouTube video of a run of 21 at 3-cushion billiards. It looks easy.

The shooter is Kasidokostas from Greece. He is a former junior world champion and 2009 world champion. He is currently ranked 6th in the world. He starts behind in the match 39-29 playing to 50 points. His opponent is Dick Jaspers, the current world #1, who is often the grand average leader in tournaments.

The event is an invitational sponsored by AGIPI, a company in France. This year the format guaranteed that the top junior players would get a lot of play.

Catahula

I said "SIT!"
Silver Member
Really nice...

Thanks for the link.
That is some pretty heady stuff. And to think how giddy and excited I get when I am able to go three rails for so so position in a match.:)
Tommy

elvicash

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great run thanks for the link - the replays were nice

21 and out is strong

I like his reaction on that last shot he knew it was good when it caught that side rail

Last edited:

"CaliRed".

High Def Videos!!!
Silver Member
I thought this game was supposed to be hard?:D

from wiki, to put this in perspective

The game today

Three-cushion billiards is a very difficult game. Averaging one point per inning is professional-level play, and averaging 1.5 to 2 is world-class play. An average of one means that for every turn at the table, a player makes 1 point and misses once, thus making a point on 50% of his or her shots. The high run at three-cushion billiards for many years was 25, set by the American Willie Hoppe in 1918 during an exhibition. As of 2007, the high run record is 31 points, shared between Semih Saygıner of Turkey and Hugo Patiño who is originally from Colombia but resides in the US.[11] The best game at the standard 50 points in a tournament is 9 innings by the Swede Torbjörn Blomdahl in 2000 and 4 innings (count: 19-11-9-11) by Korean and U.S. national champion, Sang Lee in September 1992 in a handicapped game at SL Billards in Queens, New York.[3]:12 The highest tournament average is 2.536 (345 caramboles) by Dick Jaspers from the Netherlands in 2002 at a tournament in Monaco. Raymond Ceulemans from Belgium has won an unmatchable 21 three-cushion billiards world-championships.[12]

bud green

Dolley and Django
Silver Member
I wonder if the fans there encouraged him to continue his run to see how many he could run, or if it would be considered "bad form" and he just quit after that.

I'm guessing he didn't attempt another shot, but it seems a shame to not keep shooting once you're in the 20's.

I want to see a race to 200 between these two. Someone might run a 30. Jaspers ran 20 or more two or three times last year too I believe.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I wonder if the fans there encouraged him to continue his run to see how many he could run, or if it would be considered "bad form" and he just quit after that....
It is considered bad form. Hoppe's run of 25 is deemed bogus by some because it was not within the stated match length of the exhibition -- he continued after his out point.

branpureza

Ginacue
Silver Member
And the crowd goes wil... well they mostly stay seated and golf clap but that was incredible play.

My high run is a goofy 7. I wish there was more interest for the game in my area, 3 cushion is awesome.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here is a YouTube video of a run of 21 at 3-cushion billiards. It looks easy.

The shooter is Kasidokostas from Greece. He is a former junior world champion and 2009 world champion. He is currently ranked 6th in the world. He starts behind in the match 39-29 playing to 50 points. His opponent is Dick Jaspers, the current world #1, who is often the grand average leader in tournaments.

The event is an invitational sponsored by AGIPI, a company in France. This year the format guaranteed that the top junior players would get a lot of play.

Amazing stuff. He hit almost every one of those in the face and his speed was identical each shot -- just enough to bump the third ball five to six inches.

Lou Figueroa

SmoothStroke

Swim for the win.
Silver Member
Delay and beat the kiss

Although many of the shots may have looked routine they were far from it. Quite a few shots he had to catch the right thickness of the OB with the proper stroke,speed and spin to delay the cue ball to create the angle needed and beat the kiss,,not easy to do. Those are not naturals they are created.
Very well done
Nice Link

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
branpureza...My HR is also 7, and the ONE time I shot it, I felt like Willie Hoppe! LOL 3-C is a beautiful game, and to watch players like this young man is extraordinary! Like elvicash said, he knew as soon as he hit the winning shot, that it was good! Great stuff! Thanks for the link Bob! :thumbup:

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

And the crowd goes wil... well they mostly stay seated and golf clap but that was incredible play.

My high run is a goofy 7. I wish there was more interest for the game in my area, 3 cushion is awesome.

Petros Andrikop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have the pleasure and honor to know Filippos and I have watched him several times in tournament finals here in Greece, usually with Nickos Polychronopoulos my good friend-also a top 3 cushion player.
If you watch when the camera view is appropiate you will notice how his back hand is shaking. It's like that always in competition and it arrives from the fact that Filippos pays the necessary respect to every single shot...
Just wanted to mention this as one of the features that made him a world class player IMHO. Thanks for posting this video!
Petros

bud green

Dolley and Django
Silver Member
I've run probably 20 7's at three cushion, including one earlier today, but have never run more than nine. I really need to think more about keeping the balls away from the rails and leaving more naturals.

It seems most of my runs stopped when a ball was frozen or nearly frozen to a rail.

duckie

GregH
Silver Member
That was awesome, thanks for the post.

Prime example of a master making something look so easy.

scottjen26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hate watching this in a way, makes me want to play and no tables anywhere in sight here in Jacksonville, although rumors about one possibly being installed in a nearby room...

My high run was 11, best game (a different time) was 15 in 5 innings. While the high runs are nice, the consistency is what I was aiming for and what helped my overall average increase over time. I think I had a high run of 5 or 6 when I could only average .3 or less, I'm sure I scared my opponent until I had 10 or 15 blank innings... :)

Thanks again for the link!
Scott

mnorwood

Moon
Silver Member
My high run in 3c is 4 which I attribute mostly to luck. This is an awesome video. This content provider, Kozoom.com and others provide some of the best video quality you can expect for any sporting event.

Thanks for posting.:thumbup: