ABR 2Nite: The New GCVI - Q&A With Brunswick

Well, thanks for doing the interview. However, for me (and I am sure many others) it didn’t really answer too many questions. Seems like a missed opportunity on so many levels. I guess most of the questions will be answered when the tables hit the market.

Sent from my iPad using AzBilliards Forums

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
Well, thanks for doing the interview. However, for me (and I am sure many others) it didn’t really answer too many questions. Seems like a missed opportunity on so many levels. I guess most of the questions will be answered when the tables hit the market.

Funny thing to say considering you never submitted a question.

Nonetheless, perhaps you could be more specific ?

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That was a lot of fun listening to! Thanks for doing this! You could tell he was passionate about his work, and his coworkers all have a sense of pride in their company.

I also like how he made a clear distinction that the design contest winner was a "concept" and there was 3 years of development after that. I think so many people on here took it as gospel that a young college kid was going to change the way our beloved GC tables perform, and that the new table was all figured out in 2 months or however long that design contest was.

In product development, "design" is often meant as the aesthetic. "Engineering" is the guts of how it works and how to make it work while trying to keep true to said aesthetic.

<== Product development mechanical engineer

I also thought it was funny how he said the playability is the easiest thing to get right on a table. That's probably because they have a proven formula that has worked forever, and don't change it. ARE YOU LISTENING DIAMOND? Copy the freaking GC rail system! GEESH.

It was also interesting that their venture into tires (I didn't know that), led to the formula for the super speed cushion.

I also got the vibe that the spirit of John Brunswick was to be an entrepreneur, and survive, whatever it takes. We look at Brunswick today, us pool fanatics, and say they have abandoned their spirit. Maybe, its actually the opposite, and they have ventured into whatever businesses it takes to survive and thrive in a changing world.

I didn't know there was a book about John Brunswick. Might be fun to read.

Thanks again!

You are right. I never submitted a question. So here are my questions.

What are the pocket angles? Both in entry angles and down angles.

What is the pocket shelf depth?

Did they improve the floating nuts in the rails?

If the GC VI has a curved envelope as discussed then what is its widest point and at its narrowest point in measurement?

Have any “PRO’s” evaluated the table yet?

How does the new design lend itself to being better than say a V?

Why did they remove the ball separator in the ball storage box? One pocket?

Is the ball return box the same or similar to the V?

Are there any rail mechanical changes?

It is mentioned that the pocket castings sit up on the VI, why is this?

I don’t know if the interviewer knows tables or not but he seemed to forget most of the components and or names of such components.

The gentlemen from Brunswick didn’t have the enthusiasm that me as a player and purchaser would expect. I take my receipt of my GC V tomorrow if not the day after XMAS. Probably close to the last GC V Tournament addition to be sold. I could have ordered the VI. Based off this interview I am glad I didn’t.

That was a lot of fun listening to! Thanks for doing this! You could tell he was passionate about his work, and his coworkers all have a sense of pride in their company.

I also like how he made a clear distinction that the design contest winner was a "concept" and there was 3 years of development after that. I think so many people on here took it as gospel that a young college kid was going to change the way our beloved GC tables perform, and that the new table was all figured out in 2 months or however long that design contest was.

In product development, "design" is often meant as the aesthetic. "Engineering" is the guts of how it works and how to make it work while trying to keep true to said aesthetic.

<== Product development mechanical engineer

I also thought it was funny how he said the playability is the easiest thing to get right on a table. That's probably because they have a proven formula that has worked forever, and don't change it. ARE YOU LISTENING DIAMOND? Copy the freaking GC rail system! GEESH.

It was also interesting that their venture into tires (I didn't know that), led to the formula for the super speed cushion.

I also got the vibe that the spirit of John Brunswick was to be an entrepreneur, and survive, whatever it takes. We look at Brunswick today, us pool fanatics, and say they have abandoned their spirit. Maybe, its actually the opposite, and they have ventured into whatever businesses it takes to survive and thrive in a changing world.

I didn't know there was a book about John Brunswick. Might be fun to read.

Thanks again!

The interview was supposed to be about the new GC VI. Not the background of Brunswick. I didn’t mind listening to it but 3/4 of that interview had nothing to do with the new table.

ROB.M

:)
Silver Member
Gc

I agree with AZers.... that was a odd interview but better than nothing’
I found it funny that he called the slate sill a “cap” and the quick set levers he not mr bond did not know what to call them besides the bearing things.... he seamed like he knew only a little about real world/hands on experience with installing or service to the table.. I’d like to see him look over a shoulder on recovering a few rooms full of goldcrowns...

Rob.M

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The interview was supposed to be about the new GC VI. Not the background of Brunswick. I didn’t mind listening to it but 3/4 of that interview had nothing to do with the new table.

I agree. I applaud the guy for trying but this interview answered very few questions about the new table. Just have to wait for MG and RKC to get their hands on one. The curved profile will look like a Metro/GoldCrown mix. We'll see.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ha ha you guys are a tough crowd. He answered every single question asked of him about the GC6. When done that, the conversation shifted to more nostalgic stuff.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
ARE YOU LISTENING DIAMOND? Copy the freaking GC rail system! GEESH.

Hmmm, maybe the questions to ask would have been....Hey Brunswick, why wasn't the GC6 used in the Mosconi Cup? Or how about, why don't you guys design a table that can compete with Diamond when it comes to setting tables up for tournaments? Or how about, hey Brunswick, why don't you support pool tournaments in this country anymore, or do you even care? Maybe....just maybe, Diamond should take a look at Brunswick's decision to support overseas sales instead of the US pool playing market as a more reliable source of sales, and not have to deal with the know-it-alls here in this country.

Don't you kind of find it ironic that the GC6 has already been shown, AND played on in a tournament outside of this country....and the US is still waiting on second hand news about the GC6? All you people waiting on the arrival of the new GC6....were you expecting to see a better playing GC compared to all the rest of the GCs? The building block of the table is the basic design, it's NOT going to change, the only thing that does change is the lipstck on a pig....its still a PIG.

Mr. Bond, for being a self proclaimed historian in the billiards industry....you're confused as to which year the GC1 came out, not sure if it was in 62'....or 61'? And a 2 piece slate....really?

And even if the questions would have been asked about pocket miters and down angles and even the slate pocket shelf, there wouldn't have been an answer because that's something that hasn't been changed since the 50's, therefore it's not a question anyone working at Brunswick's design department is conserned with knowing the answers to, and if the questions were even asked....the answer would have been....within BCA spec's....LOL

Anyway, great table, I'm sure it'll sell very well out of country, and lousy interview, turned out to be meaningless and a waste of time. Mr. Bond....did you know Brunswick use to produce LP album recordings and phonograph players, and the maunfacture the camouflage netting the Army used to cover their equipment with the make it harder to see from the air, as well as being harder to pick up on radar? Little history lesson for you!

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
You are right. I never submitted a question. So here are my questions.

What are the pocket angles? Both in entry angles and down angles.

What is the pocket shelf depth?

Did they improve the floating nuts in the rails?

If the GC VI has a curved envelope as discussed then what is its widest point and at its narrowest point in measurement?

Have any “PRO’s” evaluated the table yet?

How does the new design lend itself to being better than say a V?

Why did they remove the ball separator in the ball storage box? One pocket?

Is the ball return box the same or similar to the V?

Are there any rail mechanical changes?

It is mentioned that the pocket castings sit up on the VI, why is this?

I don’t know if the interviewer knows tables or not but he seemed to forget most of the components and or names of such components.

The gentlemen from Brunswick didn’t have the enthusiasm that me as a player and purchaser would expect.

You guys are silly. You had 3 weeks to come up with questions, but instead, you post yours the day after the interview airs, and wonder why they weren't answered.

Are we supposed to read your mind?

And wtf is this crap about forgetting the names of components?
Just dreaming stuff up I guess.

Yep. Just dreaming stuff up I see.
The episode is 38 minutes long. We didn't discuss anything but the table until the 27 minute mark.
Exaggerate much?

I agree. I applaud the guy for trying but this interview answered very few questions about the new table. Just have to wait for MG and RKC to get their hands on one. The curved profile will look like a Metro/GoldCrown mix. We'll see.

Yeah because Glen will give you a totally unbiased and professional analysis LMAO.

Very few questions answered??
Sheesh

ANSWERED:

1. Expected release date
2. Expected price
3. How long to develop
4. No playing surface specs will deviate from previous GCs
(BCA specs mean same pocket and cushion angles as before)
5. 4x9ft only, yes tournament edition available
6. No change in slate + slate sources
7. Change in number of levelers (reduced)
8. Slate bed/frame changed slightly (reduced)
9. Rail surface options
10. Design change description - Pedestal, Stretcher, Castings, Envelope, Box
11. Castings are Zinc w/brushed nickel plate finish
12. Superspeed cushions used and quality discussion
13. Discussion of past inaccuracies in pocket angles
14. 3 letter code use
15. Exact weight not known but heavier than previous
16. Why globally sourced
17. Castings not supposed to be level with rail
18. Not doweled and why
19. Ball return option discussed
20. No score counter
21. Color/finish options
22. yes, playability and quality testing

Last edited:

realkingcobra

Silver Member
You guys are silly. You had 3 weeks to come up with questions, but instead, you post yours the day after the interview airs, and wonder why they weren't answered.

Are we supposed to read your mind?

And wtf is this crap about forgetting the names of components?
Just dreaming stuff up I guess.

Yep. Just dreaming stuff up I see.
The episode is 38 minutes long. We didn't discuss anything but the table until the 37 minute mark.
Exaggerate much?

Yeah because Glen will give you a totally unbiased and professional analysis LMAO.

Very few questions answered??
Sheesh

ANSWERED:

1. Expected release date
2. Expected price
3. How long to develop
4. No playing surface specs will deviate from previous GCs
(BCA specs mean same pocket and cushion angles as before)
5. 4x9ft only, yes tournament edition available
6. No change in slate + slate sources
7. Change in number of levelers (reduced)
8. Slate bed/frame changed slightly (reduced)
9. Rail surface options
10. Design change description - Pedestal, Stretcher, Castings, Envelope, Box
11. Castings are Zinc w/brushed nickel plate finish
12. Superspeed cushions used and quality discussion
13. Discussion of past inaccuracies in pocket angles
14. 3 letter code use
15. Exact weight not known but heavier than previous
16. Why globally sourced
17. Castings not supposed to be level with rail
18. Not doweled and why
19. Ball return option discussed
20. No score counter
21. Color/finish options
22. yes, playability and quality testing

All lipstick on a pig...LOL playing surface spec's not going to change...LMAO....were you expecting the GC6 to be 52"×104"?

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hmmm, maybe the questions to ask would have been....Hey Brunswick, why wasn't the GC6 used in the Mosconi Cup? Or how about, why don't you guys design a table that can compete with Diamond when it comes to setting tables up for tournaments? Or how about, hey Brunswick, why don't you support pool tournaments in this country anymore, or do you even care? Maybe....just maybe, Diamond should take a look at Brunswick's decision to support overseas sales instead of the US pool playing market as a more reliable source of sales, and not have to deal with the know-it-alls here in this country.

Don't you kind of find it ironic that the GC6 has already been shown, AND played on in a tournament outside of this country....and the US is still waiting on second hand news about the GC6? All you people waiting on the arrival of the new GC6....were you expecting to see a better playing GC compared to all the rest of the GCs? The building block of the table is the basic design, it's NOT going to change, the only thing that does change is the lipstck on a pig....its still a PIG.

Mr. Bond, for being a self proclaimed historian in the billiards industry....you're confused as to which year the GC1 came out, not sure if it was in 62'....or 61'? And a 2 piece slate....really?

Self Proclaimed? Put the crack pipe away Glen.

The patent was filed in 61 and granted in 62. What's the problem Glen?

Just so you know, melonhead, Mr. Caron made a reference to A slate seam while we were not recording, making it sound as if there was only one. So I asked to make sure nothing had changed.

And even if the questions would have been asked about pocket miters and down angles and even the slate pocket shelf, there wouldn't have been an answer because that's something that hasn't been changed since the 50's, therefore it's not a question anyone working at Brunswick's design department is conserned with knowing the answers to, and if the questions were even asked....the answer would have been....within BCA spec's....LOL

Exactly. Very intuitive there Glen.

Anyway, great table, I'm sure it'll sell very well out of country, and lousy interview, turned out to be meaningless and a waste of time. Mr. Bond....did you know Brunswick use to produce LP album recordings and phonograph players, and the maunfacture the camouflage netting the Army used to cover their equipment with the make it harder to see from the air, as well as being harder to pick up on radar? Little history lesson for you!

Golly gee whiz I never knew that Glen.
Especially since I own a Brunswick record player and a stack of their albums.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Ha ha ha. Those "business strategy with respect to the billiard world" questions were asked in Mr Bond's last thread where he asked us for questions. He didn't ask any of them during the phone interview, and filtered them out specifically. So, obviously he did that for a purpose. Maybe this guy interviewed just knows tables and not Brunswick's corporate strategy? Who knows (Besides Bond if he cares to answer why he did not ask any of those types of questions).

Still, you are deflecting. That business strategy stuff has nothing to do with how the table plays. Diamond can't make a table that bounces right. Pin ball machines for 30 years.

You act like you are the only one in the world that knows how a table should be built. I'd bet this guy knows way more than you think. Did he know the audience will be someone who wanted a specific angle of the pocket miter? Come on. When there was a specific technical question, he answered it precisely (such as the pocket width for both bucket and tourney tables, that the castings are supposed to be 1/16" proud of the surface).

If new GC tables were available out the door for 5K, Diamond would be out of business, because they make pinball machines.

See you on the next thread:):):)

ABR 2Nite: The New GCVI - Q&amp;A With Brunswick

Ha ha ha. Those "business strategy with respect to the billiard world" questions were asked in Mr Bond's last thread where he asked us for questions. He didn't ask any of them during the phone interview, and filtered them out specifically. So, obviously he did that for a purpose. Maybe this guy interviewed just knows tables and not Brunswick's corporate strategy? Who knows (Besides Bond if he cares to answer why he did not ask any of those types of questions).

Still, you are deflecting. That business strategy stuff has nothing to do with how the table plays. Diamond can't make a table that bounces right. Pin ball machines for 30 years.

You act like you are the only one in the world that knows how a table should be built. I'd bet this guy knows way more than you think. Did he know the audience will be someone who wanted a specific angle of the pocket miter? Come on. When there was a specific technical question, he answered it precisely (such as the pocket width for both bucket and tourney tables, that the castings are supposed to be 1/16" proud of the surface).

If new GC tables were available out the door for 5K, Diamond would be out of business, because they make pinball machines.

Wrong post

Last edited:

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member

You are correct sir. I was talking to a designer and engineer, not the CEO or CFO.
And besides that, even if I was talking to the CEO, certain questions must be asked with tact, or else they just shut down and you never get to speak with them again.

Believe me when I say that the Brunswick clan knows very well which mechanics they can talk to and which ones to avoid. Ahem.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
You are correct sir. I was talking to a designer and engineer, not the CEO or CFO.
And besides that, even if I was talking to the CEO, certain questions must be asked with tact, or else they just shut down and you never get to speak with them again.

Believe me when I say that the Brunswick clan knows very well which mechanics they can talk to and which ones to avoid. Ahem.

So Brunswick not using pin & doweled slates is new to you? Just so you're aware, they dropped that system 40 years ago, you're behind the times even asking such a question.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So Brunswick not using pin & doweled slates is new to you? Just so you're aware, they dropped that system 40 years ago, you're behind the times even asking such a question.

There you go attacking personally again. A member asked that question on the last thread.