Advice on anything I may need to change!

Turn the gawdam music off! haha! Just kidding...

You did lose whitey on the break and on the 9.

Whassup with that ferrule? Looks a bit dirty?!
 
No changes needed ..... just do that every time and you'll be fine.

Dave
 
Yeah, I did lose whitey on that break. I hit it just off center when I hit that one. As for the ferrule, I had it replaced to a black phenolic like material. I took it to a professional shop, and told them I wanted a black ferrule with a Moori medium. It hits great, and breaks a ton. I used to break alot harder, but it hurt my cb control. But I still get pretty good results on my break. Average 2 to 3 balls on the break. Thanks for the input!
 
I like the draw shot on your second last ball before the 9.
I try to do those when I can and find them pretty effective in the right situation.

Nice shooting anyway Jeremy, if you can break and run a rack of 9, then it is me that needs your help.
 
Not to shabby

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYVy8HRiE_I


This is me the other night just breaking a rack of 9ball, and running out. If you see anything I could work on better, I am open to input!:smile:

Nice shooting. However, there's always a however. You lost the cue on the break. Like to see whitey in middle of table. Last ball before the nine was just juicing the cue and having fun, no one can control that much draw. Your a shooter though!! I am big proponent of cue ball to the center of table, especially when faced with difficult how the hell do I get there type shot. more options from center than anywhere. You play good for a big guy!
 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYVy8HRiE_I


This is me the other night just breaking a rack of 9ball, and running out. If you see anything I could work on better, I am open to input!:smile:

Great shooting!

I like your stroke and timing. Good natural talent.

Overall I think it was a little loose though. I would guess that you don't run out as often as you should for as well as you make balls. Here's why IMO:

1) The position from the 2 to the 3 you were going across the line and played it very close to the 3 ball. If you had hit that shot just a little different speed either way you were toast. Position coming into the line is more consistent over time. If you play the position to be a little further from the three, then your cone of good position is bigger. You want to keep the CB in that cone for as long as possible so that you have more consistent/easier position.

2) The next to last ball (that you played in the side) looked like your position was a fluke. You might have played it for there, but a more consistent position play would have been to stay on this side of the ball and get an easy path for position on the 9 ball after cutting the 7 (or whatever it was) into the corner. If the 9 hadn't been so close to the pocket and you would have gotten that position, you would have had to work REALLY hard to get back up table for good position on the 9.

Long term consistency is about playing the best percentages in terms of position and shots to give you the best chance of running out when you are trying to run out. Over time those little changes make a huge difference in your ability to perform under pressure and give you the ability and confidence to win consistently.

Keep up the good work!
~rc
 
The premise doesn't make any sense to me. It seems that there would be the least amount of things to correct/analyze during a break and run! It's like a pitcher asking what s/he could have done differently throwing a no-hitter. If you were really looking for constructive criticism you would be showing the other 90% of games where you don't B&R. This is just showing off ;) Either way it was a good rack. I would suggest that you rush your shots (not even pros go through a rack that fast!) and don't stay down long enough after your shot...
 
Is that room located in Kentucky? That looks like a great room. Only thing I could think of the whole time watching the video was how much I wished every room was that busy :)
 
Great performance mate, my only piece of advice is to get your chin closer to the cue. There isn't a top player nowadays (Pool or snooker) who doesn't have their chin on or near the cue.
 
Not true. There's a lot more going on than just making the balls. Just for example, this was a wide open easy rack, and he got out of line on the 3, semi-out on the 4, out on the 5, out on the 7, out on the 9. A tougher rack, and he would of been playing safe instead of running them.;)

Just because someone had success THIS time, doesn't mean that they aren't doing things wrong that need improvement to keep from making mistakes down the road.

Touche good sir, touche!
 
Very nice break speed. Too much follow on whitey and, yes, you missed the full strike on the 1 ball.

You looked real relaxed and comfortable making shots but perhaps, too much so, especially if you played this way in a match. Since you were just knocking them around, I'll give you a pass on that but, ultimately, your practice approach should mimick what you plan to do in a meaningful match. For a basic template of table manners and preshot routines, watch Corey, Johnny (minus the lint picking :wink: ), SVB, etc. Very serious, very methodical, like old west gunslingers going about their business.

Mr. Wiggles and 6pack gave fair critiques.

I think you have some nice talent and definitely feel a bit of discipline in your game would go a long way. The big juicey draw to the 7 showed a nice stroke but as was already pointed out, that shot lacked control. You were fortunate to get a straight look into the side. But I know the big juice is fun! :grin:

Two final points:

I have mentioned this before. Why is it that when people post their vids for review and critique, they are always running a rack? More meaningful examination might come from the other racks that were somewhat less cooperative.

And you mentioned that you average 2-3 balls per break. Next time you are on the table, break ten times and tell us how many object balls you made in those 10 consecutive breaks. I'm a betting man and I would go pretty high that it's less than 25.

I do like your power and what I saw of your stroke.

Best,
Brian kc
 
Last edited:
Just saw that while I was typing, Neil did a brilliant dissection and analysis.

He summed it up very nicely, IMO.

Best,
Brian kc
 
First, you need to work out a solid preshot routine. Starting with the break, you were fidgeting your body into place after you were down. If you need to adjust, it should be minutely, not as much as you had to. Also, on the break, you ended up hitting the cb way higher than you wanted to. That is due to trying to get max speed instead of control.

On the two, you just kinda slid into place, then only took one warmup stroke. You also never really paid attention to just where you wanted the cb to end up, just a very general area.

Two warmup strokes on the 3, then it looked like a jab or poke at it. Again, no thought on just where you want to put the cb other than a general area.

Three warmup strokes on the 4, then another jab. No finish on the stroke, just rolling the 4 in.

One warmup stroke on the 5, then you just let it fly and hope for position.

One warmup stroke on the 7.

One warmup stoke on the 9, then let it fly. No thought of where to put the cb.

You need a preshot routine. You need to be consistent in what you do. Consistency breeds good playing. Take a little time to look at the table, just where do you want to be for position?? Pick a spot on the table to land the cb on.

Don't just slide into the shot and shift around if you need to. That breeds sloppiness in the rest of the shot. Almost every shot, you start rising the second your tip hits the cb. A few times before contact. When they say it's a race to whatever, they don't mean you have to see how fast you can get there. Slow down a little, and pay attention to what you are doing. At least half the rack you were out of line from not paying attention. Tougher racks will kill you doing that. Good shotmaking though! Work on your follow through also, it's not supposed to be from you standing up and moving the cue forward with your body.;)

I would see an instuctor to work on your stroke mechanics a little and get some touch drills. Your stroke seems coordinated and powerful for sure, but some soft touch is needed. You don't need to power the cue ball that much.

I agree with Neil - no pre-shot routine. You're jumping to get down on the shot too quickly. My suggestion would be to stand behind the shot, see the angle, then quietly get down on the perfect line to shoot. Take a couple of warm up strokes, pause your tip at the cueball for a second, and shoot. Once you do this over a period of months, it will become second nature.

You need a lot of work on your pattern angles. There was a positional error on almost every shot, but your straight shooting and cue ball movement pulled you out. You actually have a very effective stroke and a good eye, but you need to add some finesse and touch to your game. Don't be afraid to leave a little distance on your shots - if you play close position on too many shots these is less room for speed errors.

Chris
 
Last edited:
Thank you to everyone for their input. I do tend to agree with some of the points that were made here. I am sorry that I put up a vid of me breaking and running. This is the first video I hae made of me playing. I am a very fast paced player, and I am not trying to say I am not making some simple mistakes on cb control. But the table did not roll true. It had a little bit of a slight roll to it. That is part of the reason I was shooting a little hard on some of the shots. And I did hit whitey a little too high on the break, which caused me to lose control of the cb. Forunately I did get a shot at the two. I just love to play, and I will take what I have heard here and try adding these to my game. As for instructors, I am going to go take some lessons from Stan Shuffet as soon as I get a chance. I was also a little off because I hadn't played in a couple weeks. But I do appreciate all the input!:thumbup:
 
Neil, I will definitely do that. I believe having Stan look at me, and be able to break down exactly what I need to change will be great for my game. And I am a big believer in practicing whatever helps me get better. I just want to get the most out of his teaching that I can. Even if it means breaking me down, and starting from scratch!
 
Back
Top