advise needed - ferrule change to ivory

sad_clown0306

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I need an advise pls.

I am going to change the ferrule of my Shaft.
It is melamine now and i want to change it to ivory.

Could it be that the hit would objectively be degraded ???
The only thing why i´m concerned is that it is a South West Shaft and i dont want to degrade it with the hit. The hit is as you can expect outstanding.

I am not talking about the subjective opinion about ivory and other material and the feel of the hit. I am really asking if the quality and the characteristic of the Shaft would suffer after the work when its not done by the South West Crew.

What are your experiences or your knowledge

thanks

cubswin

Just call me Joe...
Silver Member
I need an advise pls.

The only thing why i´m concerned is that it is a South West Shaft and i dont want to degrade it with the hit. The hit is as you can expect outstanding.

I am not talking about the subjective opinion about ivory and other material and the feel of the hit. I am really asking if the quality and the characteristic of the Shaft would suffer after the work when its not done by the South West Crew.

thanks

Shouldn't hurt the shaft any. Hit will be different without a doubt. I'd guess it will be a softer playing cue after changing to ivory. Probably have more deflection too.

Personally wouldn't change melamine for anything else. Hard to find good melamine ferrules anymore from what I can tell.

JoseV

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I need an advise pls.

thanks

Changing out for an ivory ferrel will not degrade your shaft its going to make for a harder hit i have ivory ferrels on my my playing shafts and hard tips on them makes for a very solid hit and you will notice a diffrence.

gregoryg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ivory ferrule...

If this were my cue and shaft, I would not let anyone besides the people at Southwest touch it. Best thing to do is always send it back to the original cuebuilder, if still in business.

sad_clown0306

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
thanks for the reply Guys.

But i am more confused than in the beginning. The one says it will be softer and the other opinion is that it makes it harder.

Good to know that the quality at least will not suffer.
I am thinking of sending it to Laura from South West but i think the waiting time would be tremendous.

Does anyone have experience about the changing of the hit and deflection with ivory compared to melamine ?

JoseV

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This might help changing your ferrel to ivory is an upgrade to your shaft. I think the confusion started when soft tips and hard tips where thrown in the factor. A soft tip will not hit the same as a hard tip on an ivory ferrel if your looking for an all around solid hit your going to want a harder tip. A softer tip is going to give you a spongy feeling but im not sure what kind of hit your looking for. Im my mind a soft tip is not going to optimize an ivory ferrel. Anybody else out there please correct me if im wrong.

Varney Cues

Handcrafted quality!
Silver Member
But i am more confused than in the beginning.

Lets set the record straight. First of all you should of asked this in the cuemakers section. With that said....changing to ivory will soften the hit & due to the weight of ivory could very well increase deflection. I have to ask why do you want to change? Ivory is not going to make your SW shaft play any better & thats the bottom line. I only recommend ivory on high end collector cues that aren't really played with as the ivory increases the value of the cue. I would not want it on my everyday player. There are too many exceptional man made ferrule materials for me to even consider ivory on my player. I'd much rather have the excellent new Juma material...soft yet crisp hit, durable, light weight/lower deflection....hits almost identical to the much sought after old yellow micarta.:wink:

JoseV

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thats intresting i never heard that ivory ferrel softens the hit how could such a hard matrial have a soft hit? I dont notice a whole lot of deflection on my shafts for that matter but then again my shafts have a 13mm pro taper. Even my joint is solid ivory inlayed with silver and its no sponge to me it hits just as hard as SS and not any softer.

Ilike1pocket

Registered
Ivory will give a softer hit. You also up your chances of cracking the Ferrule over 50%.

You can just as easy change Tip hardness without changing out your SW from original.

IMO you would only feel big time deflection if you changed the taper.

For the cost of the Ivory Ferrule and new tip why not have a Cuemaker make you another shaft and keep everything original?

JoseV

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In the eight years i been shooting with ivory ferrels i never cracked one. I dont see how pvc ferrels and ivrone which are designed to hit like ivory would hit harder and better than real ivory. Its the first time im hearing this, I done countless masse shots and jump shots with ivory ferrels where did you get this info about ivory being over a 50% chance of cracking ?

Ilike1pocket

Registered
PVC and Ivorine are man made, 50% better chance of not having a slight flaw. Now start observing cues with Ivory butt caps VS others and see how many have checked or cracked over time.

In the game of 9 ball @ "A" Level the most important shot rather then making of the 9 is the break. How many do you know put Ivory ferrules on their Break Cue?

By the way, thaks for your time spent in Iraq, may you have a safe journey.

gwjackal

Paradigm Cue Sports
Silver Member
Why would you risk sending your SW back to the states to get an Ivory Ferrule put on it? You are aware that you may never see your cue again as it will be setting in some customs guy office for the rest of it's life. If you want a different hit just change the tip and go from there. Or just send me the SW since you don't like it :thumbup:

JoseV

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
PVC and Ivorine are man made, 50% better chance of not having a slight flaw. Now start observing cues with Ivory butt caps VS others and see how many have checked or cracked over time.

In the game of 9 ball @ "A" Level the most important shot rather then making of the 9 is the break. How many do you know put Ivory ferrules on their Break Cue?

By the way, thaks for your time spent in Iraq, may you have a safe journey.
I see your point i have no ivory on my break cue and come to think about it i hant any ivory on anybody elses break cue unless it stolen but you do have a very good point. My ferrules have alot of that wood grain look on it or maybe i just lucked out with very high quality ivory but still never seen any crack yet.

So if ivory is not the hardest ferrule you can put on then what it beisdes phenolic ? im all ears now.

KeeFy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Interesting. IMO, ivory does have a softer feel as well as a higher deflection due to the added weight. Come to think of it i've heard about ivory joints cracking, but not ferrules. The best hitting ferrule i've ever played with was the old westinghouse yellow micarta. Lovely lovely hit. Not much of a fan of ivory other than for collection.

I reckon you should try out a cue with an ivory ferrule to see if you like the feel of it before you commit to changing your ferrule.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
So if ivory is not the hardest ferrule you can put on then what it beisdes phenolic ? im all ears now.

Ivory is not even close to being the hardest.
Melamine is much harder. The hardest one I know is Saber-T.
I'd never put that on playing shafts unless someone uses regular elk master.
I like melamine and Juna these days.

jhendri2

Rack'em Sausage
Silver Member
I absolutely love the feel of an ivory ferrule. They certainly deflect more. Once you get used to it though, you'll know how to play the shots. There is a learning curve though.

Can you play better with a melamine ferrule...probably...but since I mostly play for my enjoyment, I'll stick with ivory.

Oh, never cracked an ivory ferrule or ivory joint, have seen it on abused cues, but never on mine.

Jim

cubswin

Just call me Joe...
Silver Member
In the eight years i been shooting with ivory ferrels i never cracked one. I dont see how pvc ferrels and ivrone which are designed to hit like ivory would hit harder and better than real ivory. Its the first time im hearing this, I done countless masse shots and jump shots with ivory ferrels where did you get this info about ivory being over a 50% chance of cracking ?

ivorine and pvc are really soft materials. LBM, which is what we are talking about, isn't soft at all. Ivory is hard, but don't believe its as hard as lbm. Certainly doesn't produce a hit that is as hard as lbm. Nothing wrong with ivory ferrules, but its going to change the hit of the cue without much doubt. More than likely for the worse.

ridewiththewind

♥ Hippie Hustler ♥
Silver Member
I tried ivory ferrules on a cue once...that was it for me, didn't care for the hit at all, and too much deflection. I finally went for the Micarta, and have been very happy. My old Helmstetter has a Cerosite ferrule. Not sure if they are even available anymore, but sure like the hit that gives as well.

With all the new man-made ferrule materials available, even good ivory subs...I don't know why someone would want the added expense and care needed for ivory ferrules. But that is just my humble opinion...and I am but a player.

Lisa