Against the vulgarity and filthy language

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anybody remember the reference to "Panther Piss" whiskey in McGoorty? An old friend of mine who is NOT a pool player posted a picture on Facebook of the label Danny may have been talking about. Really does show a panther with, well, from the title I'm sure you'll get the idea. I'd love to post it but there is no way I could, don't think the mods would allow it. McGoorty said the labels were very collectible and I've often wondered what they looked like. I did repost it on Facebook, Jay may have seen it;)

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Really?? I grew up in a 100% non-cussing Catholic house. Out of six sibs four are WORLD-CLASS cussers. I think your friends/peers have WAY more effect on this than anything your parents do.

Sure, your friends have an effect on you if you let them. I grew up on the Brooklyn/Queens border in NYC. I could walk to East New York and almost walk to Bed/Stuy. I'm no stranger to people who curse. I just don't let people who constantly curse into my life. That's my choice --- and I got that from my parents not cursing.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fran,

.......The closest thing I could find was that children exposed to more swearing often swore more. But that includes a child’s entire environment—social interaction, media, home environment, etc. Obviously, you hear new words, you use them—a simple learning process. Whether use of those words leads to undesirable character traits is much harder to discern. And whether that usage continues and for how long wasn’t discussed either. .........

And that’s reason enough for me.

I agree with the part of your comment I quoted above. If the parents curse, then the child will definitely feel it's okay to curse. Why wouldn't he?

So the issue is --- how much does it affect the child if the parents don't curse? It depends on how much they wish to enforce their belief in their household. Any child who is exposed to constant cursing by his peers, and then picks it up as well, will inevitably slip at home --- and quite a lot. How a parent handles that is what's important. If the non-cursing parent doesn't react strongly enough, or take the time to educate his child, then the child will keep doing it with his friends.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
I guess I will REALLY make some of the younger crowd furious with this...but here we go. Just my opinion and I will not participate in any "back and forths" about it.
I believe it all is a result of the glorification and proliferation of rap music (?) lyrics.
I saw some comments by one of that genre, Eminem, on the web and he couldn't express a coherent thought without F this and F that, etc.
Only my opinion....and yes, I am old and 'don't matter to the world'. I can still express an opinion though.
:thumbup:

I could not agree with you more. I can not believe some of the crap that comes out of jukeboxes when they play that rhyme/talking crap.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm afraid I don't have the attention span to read your long post. Sorry. I'll just say that I'm glad that I don't curse and I have no interest in having friends who curse a lot.

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm afraid I don't have the attention span to read your long post. Sorry. I'll just say that I'm glad that I don't curse and I have no interest in having friends who curse a lot.

Pretty lame to come in here with your "holier than thou" attitude and then not even take the time to read someone else's post. A well thought out, and respectful post at that. I'd rather associate with people who curse than people who look down their nose at me, I'm glad we're not friends as well.

Mr. Wilson

El Kabong
Gold Member
Silver Member
Society isn't something we can "fix".

The best we can do is navigate ourselves using whatever compass we were provided with.

With deference to whatever societal norms are, language within a business setting needs to meet a minimum threshold for acceptability.

It isn't about judging anyone else for what they consider acceptable.

Just house rules.

Johnson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pretty lame to come in here with your "holier than thou" attitude and then not even take the time to read someone else's post. A well thought out, and respectful post at that. I'd rather associate with people who curse than people who look down their nose at me, I'm glad we're not friends as well.

Watch out her next post will be about suing you for defecation of character!!!

Johnson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am 40 years old and my parents split up when I was very young, for my generation the sky rocketing divorce rate is one of the absolute worst things for society in so many ways and effects so many people. But it's nothing in comparison to the Millennials and the start of the internet which effects pretty much everyone that's not Amish today. Now with the latest generation and smart phones combined with the internet I've seen it for a few years now that combination will be the downfall of mankind.

If you don't believe me spend some time on Facebook, any dating site or watch a few episodes of Catfish on mtv. I have been at a bar before and seen all 5 people sitting at it on their phones, I remember Christmas a few years back watching a movie with my family and everyone of them were on their phones, even my 4 year old nephew! Once you start to get a feel for the psychology of the internet you start to see that it's a black hole that sucks up everything in it's path. If I didn't need my cell phone for work I wouldn't have one short of for emergencies.

One clear line between my generation and the previous is music and it's amazing where I'm from just how much the music played in bars determines who frequents those establishments. But this happens with EVERY generation and if you don't believe me watch the movie Footloose. To blame music for societal issues or forum issues is laughable, movies play a much bigger role in shaping society but that's not even a drop in the bucket compared to the internet combined with smart phones.

Coop1701

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We have become a nation of finger pointers. I don't understand why everyone is so easily offended these days.

I have some very mild mannered friends who never say a bad word. I have others that cuss like a sailor.
I don't mind either way because that are all intelligent people and I like people who are themselves.

I think AZ Billiards and our forum is a great place to come and talk about the world of pool. I don't see a lot of vulgarity.
I have seen some people in the heat of giving their opinion call people names. I don't agree with that.

But I have never seen anything on this forum that would make me think any less of you guys or gals.
Whether you use bad words or not. I promise I will not be hurt way. I enjoy a good debate. I enjoy all the topics we discuss.
The internet if full of "Keyboard Warriors" who would say anything behind the protecting of their monitors.
All I can preach is be yourself because I will not be offended either way. Also if you are man enough to type it, be man enough to say it in person.

btw - Blaming music and Rap for the decline of language and making bad words common place. If that's true I am blaming Game of Thrones for Winter being upon us.

Lonestar_jim

Two & Out
Silver Member
It just continues without condemnation from other members over in NPR. They should just make a sticky modifying the forum rules for that section. But you can't call another member a colorful slur, yet gutter language that clearly violates the rules is happening unchecked.
I appeal to the members to self police when the keyboard jockeys go crazy.
I like the political info over there, but there are too many bullies who ruin the good stuff.

Taxi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been hanging in pool rooms since 1964, and if anything it seems as if there's a lot fewer f-bombs and mf-bombs overheard in them today then there was BITD. Probably has to do with the increased presence of women.

AFAIC swearing is an art form that works best in certain specific contexts, but forums like this aren't among them. I haven't noticed it that much around here, but then maybe that's because I've been skipping over them.

OTOH I'd rather endure a few choice epithets that last a few seconds than have to put up with those gawrsh durn cusses who take 5 minutes to rack the (deleted) (hyphen-deleted) balls. Goodness gracious sakes alive, does that arouse my dander!