Against the vulgarity and filthy language

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It starts in the home. I never heard either of my parents swear. Ever. Does that make me an elitist? My parents came from hard-working, poor Italian immigrants. 'Elite' is not a word that defines my family.

My parents' brothers and sisters raised their kids the same way. When we all get together for holiday gatherings, no one swears, not because they're holding back, but because that's the way we are as people.

So yes, there is a life without swearing as hard as it is for some people to believe and accept. I'm not the least interested in people who constantly swear. They're just not my type. I walk away from them --- and that includes forums.

Last edited:

ChrisSjoblom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Swear words add a new depth of meaning to a sentence it might otherwise have lacked. I guess the point I’m trying to make it depends on the text and or meaning the swear word was used. If it was meant as a derogatory remark directly towards someone I would agree that’s uncalled for but if it’s meant to describe a feeling or an emotion I don’t have a problem with that. Big difference in telling someone F-you as opposed to I was so F-ing angry, at least that’s my opinion.

I think you have a relatively defensible point there, at least in theory, but I would add a couple caveats.

First, using swear words such as "f***ing" as adjectives or adverbs is similar to using the word "very" for descriptive purposes. They are generally overused in modern communication, and they are trite, thus not particularly effective. It is a rare instance where "f***ing" will add more descriptive value than a carefully chosen non-curse word.

The second caution I would add is related to the first in that it has to do with the frequency with which the word is used. If I read a passage or listen to a narrative in which a curse word is used once or twice for emphasis I can accept that as a deliberate choice by the author or speaker. However, most of the written or spoken communications I am exposed to that use a curse word at all will repeat that same word several times. This I cannot accept as a deliberate creative choice. Rather I view it either as a more or less unconscious mechanism that reveals a lack of creative thinking, or in the case of a comedy monologue, as a simple pandering to an audience's baser instincts.

I think these two points are the reason why people who regularly use vulgarity in their communications might be regarded as being of lower intelligence, or at least of having a substandard ability to express themselves.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
in other words,there is no such thing as filthy language
it all depends upon your subjective norm or sense of
proportion

no such thing as filthy or vulgar or immoral even

just as it affects your sense of purpose and proportion

i don't need to worry if my mother sees this trash
my real concern is whether or not it is in the proper form

it won't keep me from keeping my children away from the computer
it might make my stomach sick
but unless i call you,i might be over reacting

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It starts in the home. I never heard either of my parents swear. Ever. Does that make me an elitist? My parents came from hard-working, poor Italian immigrants. 'Elite' is not a word that defines my family.

My parents' brothers and sisters raised their kids the same way. When we all get together for holiday gatherings, no one swears, not because they're holding back, but because that's the way we are as people.

So yes, there is a life without swearing as hard as it is for some people to believe and accept. I'm not the least interested in people who constantly swear. They're just not my type. I walk away from them --- and that includes forums.

I never heard eithe of my parents use curse words either, but they flow pretty freely from my mouth.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thank the media and Hollywood. Whatever gets thrown in our face everyday becomes the normal.

$TAKE HOR$E

champagne - campaign
Silver Member
Anyone ever Watch Bobs stand up routines, for those who have im sure you obviously dont let you kids watch Full House :shocked2:

Where would Richard Prior be without the F bomb :groucho:

And anyone who knocks Betty White is simply not American

ChrisSjoblom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
in other words,there is no such thing as filthy language
it all depends upon your subjective norm or sense of
proportion

no such thing as filthy or vulgar or immoral even

just as it affects your sense of purpose and proportion

i don't need to worry if my mother sees this trash
my real concern is whether or not it is in the proper form

it won't keep me from keeping my children away from the computer
it might make my stomach sick
but unless i call you,i might be over reacting

Dean, I'm not sure if the comments above were directed at my post, not having read all of the other posts in the thread, but they do seem related to it enough that I thought I should respond.

I was dealing with the use of vulgarity strictly in the sense of a communication device. I chose to avoid the topic of the offensiveness of the language so as to be more concise in the points I wanted to make. Also, the offensiveness of this type of language has been discussed fairly thoroughly here already.

Suffice it to say that I agree wholeheartedly with you that the level and frequency of vulgarity in everyday communication has increased over the years to a point where I find it appalling. I believe it is symptomatic of a general lowering of standards throughout our culture which has had an overall dehumanizing effect on our society.

Now before anyone jumps on me for saying some people are less human than others, what I am saying is that when we give in to continuously lowering our cultural standards we give up some of the best aspects of our humanity. Anyone who has lived 40, 50, or more years, and whose life experience has not been limited to the bottom echelons of society, can clearly see that we are a much less civil society than we were say 30 years ago.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I had a dentist used the F to describe something. I did not appreciate the use. Extremely unprofessional. I lost respect.

Last edited:

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Seems like there are two types of "vulgar" at odds with each other here:

I'll take the "vulgar" of self-expression over the "vulgar" that stems from the delusion of moral-superiority and a desire to influence, dominate, and control others.

As a side note, I urge everyone to please start giving women some credit.

There's nothing stronger in this world than a strong woman.

ChrisSjoblom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As a side note, I urge everyone to please start giving women some credit.

There's nothing stronger in this world than a strong woman.

I've always thought that there was nothing stronger than Post Grape Nuts that have dried to the side of the bowl. I think you could build engine blocks with that stuff! :grin-square:

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
A Bra is the strongest thing on earth. It holds up 2 milk factories. No hate mail or death threats please.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
A Bra is the strongest thing on earth. It holds up 2 milk factories. No hate mail or death threats please.

How dare you sir!
Lol.

I may have been a little too colorful the other night. Perhaps a breathalyzer should be required to hit submit post.

Sorry
Jason

chevybob20

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cursing has its place and I've definitely violated that space.With that said, I would like to present evidence to squash the bull crap fallacy about cursing and intelligence. Everytime I hear that line, snowflake comes to mind.

Before I come under assault by the PC police, I do not glorify it's use especially in mixed company or around children. I just don't feel shocked when I hear it as others do.

Swearing Is Actually a Sign of More Intelligence - Not Less - Say Scientists
https://www.sciencealert.com/swearing-is-a-sign-of-more-intelligence-not-less-say-scientists

Intelligent People Use More Swear Words, According To Study
http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2016/09/27/swear-words-intelligence_n_12213206.html

Swearing Actually a Sign of Intelligence, Suggests Brilliant F*cking Study
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/for...Intelligence-Suggests-Brilliant-F-cking-Study

Forbin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mr. Forbin Why do you complain about scantily clad women avatars yet yours of a scantily clad man is OK???
Double standard?? I'm out of this discussion, Mitch

I'm just trying to make a point and maybe encourage users with those avatars to consider why some other users, especially women, might find them alienating or even demeaning.

For the folks that expect a church like atmosphere...worried about a girl in a bikini...No dice. I have to please as many people as possible. I'm not a puritan and neither are 99.9% of the rest of us.

I'm not a puritan or a prude and not wishing for a church-like environment. I do think such images should be banned from the forum only because I think it would be preferable for the forums to be safe for work. If not for the NSFW issue, I would not advocate censorship and would rather try to persuade users to choose respectful avatars of their own free will.

Most ridiculous thing I ever heard: Rap= music

For those who are hating on rap music, I agree that most of what you hear on the jukeboxes at the pool halls is trash (along with most of the other contemporary music that gets played), but there is some really brilliant music in the genre too. Tribe Called Quest, The Roots, The Fugees, Lauryn Hill, The Grouch, Aceyalone, Heiroglyphics, Mos Def, Blackalicious, Common, Outkast ... just to name the first ones I can think of. Check them out with an open mind and you might surprise yourself.

Last edited: