Ahh the Kids/Matchroom

azhousepro

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
I saw a number of the top juniors posting that they had gotten in. I haven't seen any complaining that they didn't yet.

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I saw a number of the top juniors posting that they had gotten in. I haven't seen any complaining that they didn't yet.
That does not surprise me. The juniors seem to behave so much better than their counterparts.

I do find it sad that Ra Hanna is not involved. No one has done more, in America at least, than he has for the juniors.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I do find it sad that Ra Hanna is not involved. No one has done more, in America at least, than he has for the juniors.
So do I, but the truth is that Matchroom nearly always gets things right, and if they'd rather use Shane and Cuetec to promote the future of junior pool in America, let's respect their choice and wish them the best of luck. Perhaps this is the first chapter in a story in which Matchroom, Shane and Cuetec rally around junior pool. If so, that would be wonderful. Good luck to all concerned. I think this event is going to be great. Thanks, Matchroom!

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So do I, but the truth is that Matchroom nearly always gets things right, and if they'd rather use Shane and Cuetec to promote the future of junior pool in America, let's respect their choice and wish them the best of luck. Perhaps this is the first chapter in a story in which Matchroom, Shane and Cuetec rally around junior pool. If so, that would be wonderful. Good luck to all concerned. I think this event is going to be great.
There certainly may have been business dealings that played a part in all of this and most likely have.

That being said. I believe the juniors event just might surprise some people with its popularity after event. I certainly hope so. I'd love to see a Junior Mosconi Cup someday!

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Emily posted on Facebook that it filled in 2 minutes.
I think they need to do something about that. Qualifiers, ranking lists, maybe something else, but a faster internet connection should not be the deciding factor. Or, maybe they did have some mechanism in place like they had for earlier open events that filled up instantly.

azhousepro

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
There certainly may have been business dealings that played a part in all of this and most likely have.

That being said. I believe the juniors event just might surprise some people with its popularity after event. I certainly hope so. I'd love to see a Junior Mosconi Cup someday!
There was one. Last time it was held was 2019.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Here you go. I'm not sure how much Matchroom has been involved lately. I think it will restart soon....

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here you go. I'm not sure how much Matchroom has been involved lately. I think it will restart soon....

My memory must be slipping a wee bit lately.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is not in conjunction with Ra's Junior International Championship. In a way that would have been nice because Ra could have helped to create an invitational list based upon rankings. As it currently stands, there is going to be a mad rush to get signed up on Friday afternoon, first come, first served. A 64 or 128 person bracket would have helped, as Shane lobbied for. Nonetheless, I am not complaining; I am thrilled that Shane, Matchroom, and Cuetec are making an effort to promote junior pool in the US. It can only get bigger and better with their support.
FCFS for the 32 coveted entries makes absolutely no sense! They need to send out invitations to the top 32 junior players, by however they can most accurately determine that, based on results in all the various regional tours as well as Ra’s tour.

There are 32+ really strong junior players out there that have proven themselves in tournament play, against each other as well as in regional tours against adult players. The challenge they are facing is assuring that as many of them as possible are in this field.

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
FCFS for the 32 coveted entries makes absolutely no sense! They need to send out invitations to the top 32 junior players, by however they can most accurately determine that, based on results in all the various regional tours as well as Ra’s tour.

There are 32+ really strong junior players out there that have proven themselves in tournament play, against each other as well as in regional tours against adult players. The challenge they are facing is assuring that as many of them as possible are in this field.
Not sure many folks noticed but one of those junior champions just beat Mike Davis in the finals of a tournament right here in NC.. Congrats to Joey Tate, it was a major step up in his career...

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not sure many folks noticed but one of those junior champions just beat Mike Davis in the finals of a tournament right here in NC.. Congrats to Joey Tate, it was a major step up in his career...
Yes, he’s certainly one of the top junior players (and there are many others) that absolutely must be in this field for it to have any legitimacy.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member

Wow, I knew of the Atlantic Cup event but had no idea that Matchroom was behind it. Hence, Matchroom has, indeed, supported junior pool in the past and this upcoming event is one more step in that direction. Thanks Matchroom!

Of course, most of the onus on developing youthful talent in America is on America itself and there is a giant gap to be filled. In a "players under-25 Mosconi-like event," Europe could field a team of five players having Fargo over 800 in Filler, Gorst, Kaci, Zielinski and Pehlivanovic. To my knowledge, the US doesn't have even one player under 25 that carries a Fargo as high as 750, so the importance of the next generation of players cannot be overstated. The re-emergence of American pro pool lies in their hands, and this is just one more reason I'll be paying close attention to the juniors in October.

Matchroom, Cuetec, Shane, and Ra Hanna are doing their best to give American juniors a growing framework for continuing to develop their skills, but we must all rally behind them.

Opportunity knocks! Good luck to all the juniors.