Allison Fisher called a foul on herself on a hill-hill match!

gopi-1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very, very classy Allison!
fing24.gif

110313a.jpg

Story here --> http://www.dragonpromotions.com/news/11032013a.html

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Never been a question about her integrity, has there?

That said, if there is a referee, she should not be taking the ruling responsibility upon herself. She can't call a foul on her opponent, so the flip side is she can't call one on herself.

2 balls in hand. Deez.

Shaft

Hooked and Improving
Silver Member
Never been a question about her integrity, has there?

That said, if there is a referee, she should not be taking the ruling responsibility upon herself. She can't call a foul on her opponent, so the flip side is she can't call one on herself.

2 balls in hand. Deez.

I see the symmetry of your argument, but I'm not sure I agree.
If the referee misses a foul, an honest player should call on themselves despite the asymmetry.
JMO.
Do the rules prohibit - or encourage - calling foul on yourself in the presence of a referee?

Last edited:

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I applaud Allison's integrity, however, when a referee is presiding over a match, the referee needs to make the call. Allison had every right to turn to the ref and say that she believed that she may have fouled and ask the ref for a call. If the ref is unsure or didn't see it, I think they have to let it go.

These are things that have to be clear before the tournament starts. You can't just assign someone to preside over a match without discussing possible scenarios ahead of time.

I used to referee some of the major 14.1 and 9 Ball championships, and the rule of the day always was that if a ref is presiding over a match, the ref, and not the player has to make the call.

SCCues

< Searing Twins
Silver Member
I applaud Allison's integrity, however, when a referee is presiding over a match, the referee needs to make the call. Allison had every right to turn to the ref and say that she believed that she may have fouled and ask the ref for a call. If the ref is unsure or didn't see it, I think they have to let it go.

These are things that have to be clear before the tournament starts. You can't just assign someone to preside over a match without discussing possible scenarios ahead of time.

I used to referee some of the major 14.1 and 9 Ball championships, and the rule of the day always was that if a ref is presiding over a match, the ref, and not the player has to make the call.
I agree, if there is a ref then the ref should make all calls. Allison was just being honest and she shouldn't have had to say a word if the ref was doing his or her job.

James

Bella Don't Cry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ref will NOT ALWAYS see fouls especially when the cue tip feathers the cue ball.
Am not really surprised with Ms Fishers conduct after all, she grew up playing Snooker where calling foul against yourself (if done) is common practice. :thumbup:

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
The only thing we have to do in this world is drop dead. Everything else is a choice that comes from within.

Disecting Allison's actions can only be made from the perception of our own individual "withins", not hers. The points are moot and irrelevant IMO.

voiceofreason

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The only thing we have to do in this world is drop dead. Everything else is a choice that comes from within.

Disecting Allison's actions can only be made from the perception of our own individual "withins", not hers. The points are moot and irrelevant IMO.

On another note... I would.. 100%.. Definitely..

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good for Allison. But, at the same time, I find threads like this rather disturbing. How screwed up as a society are we that we find it noteworthy and exceptional when someone actually does the right thing?? When they do what is supposed to be the normal thing to do.

SilentLurker

Registered
Darren Appleton also called a foul on himself in the 2004 WPF 8 ball world final. Trailing 9-10 in a race to 11, he broke (and went in off) but called a 2 visit foul on himself, knowing it cost him the the title (the ref didn't see his cue hit another ball).

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
I've never seen a ref in a pool match, professional or amateur level, say
"Sorry, you can't call a foul on yourself... if I didn't see it, it didn't happen".

Nice try, everyone in the "it's ok to not report fouls if you think they went unnoticed" camp.

nobcitypool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pool would be the only sport i can think of, when you have a referee, you still call a foul on yourself. I can imagine Lebron James walking over to a ref and saying "i traveled on that last dunk, please take the two points away." And no, golf doesn't have referees monitoring every single shot.

With that said, it is refreshing to see this show of integrity from such a great, classy player.

Wybrook

A. Wheeler
Silver Member
Why is this a front page story on the Dragon Promotions page??
I don't think it should even be mentioned, anywhere, ever...

You are supposed to call a foul on yourself, no matter what the circumstances are, no matter the "wager" is.....

Next thing, we will be rewarding people for doing the right thing..

thewhiffer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is not relevant whether there is a referee or not etc. What is relevant is whether the player wants to win by cheating even if they are the only one who knows that they did. Sadly, there seems to be some that would.

I seem to recall an IPT match with Allison in which the referee called a foul on her opponent that was based on an obscure IPT rule that neither her opponent nor herself seemed to be aware of. It was obvious that in her opinion it was a silly foul and, I may not remember it exactly, I think that she did not want to take control of the table and subsequently fouled on purpose to hand it back to her opponent.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
IMO some of the old/pure rules need to be removed. Calling a foul for brushing a ball with your sleeve, tie, or boob that maybe moves a ball less than a 1/4" is way over the top...put the fn ball back. Maybe if someone moves balls a lot a foul should be called as they are probably trying to cheat. Johnnyt

Bella Don't Cry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Darren Appleton also called a foul on himself in the 2004 WPF 8 ball world final. Trailing 9-10 in a race to 11, he broke (and went in off) but called a 2 visit foul on himself, knowing it cost him the the title (the ref didn't see his cue hit another ball).

Someone else that grew up with a Snooker ethic of gentleman's practice :thumb up:
There's a picture developing

Bella Don't Cry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good for Allison. But, at the same time, I find threads like this rather disturbing. How screwed up as a society are we that we find it noteworthy and exceptional when someone actually does the right thing?? When they do what is supposed to be the normal thing to do.

I here that :thumbup: