American 14.1 Straight Pool Championship (Oct 24-29), Norfolk, Winner $10K

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Starts Monday (Oct 24). Small field <50 players.
Format :Round Robin followed by Single Elimination.
Equipment: Diamond Tables with 4 1/2 inch pockets, Arcos II Predator balls, and new Simonis 860 Cloth.

Prizemoney:
pm a141.JPG

Schedule https://americanstraightpool.com/2022-format

Free Live Stream
https://www.facebook.com/American14.1champ
https://www.youtube.com/c/azbtv/

Top 32 Fargorate >800 (14 players)
Albin Ouschan Austria
Alex Kazakis Greece
Alex Pagulayan Canada
Carlo Biado Philippines
David Alcaide Spain
Fedor Gorst Russia
Francisco Sanchez-Ruiz Spain
Jayson Shaw Scotland
Joshua Filler Germany (2021 Champion)
Lee Vann Corteza Philippines
Mario He Austria
Roland Garcia Philippines
Sanjin Pehlivanovic, Bosnia
Wiktor Zielinski Poland

Fargorate <800
Abdullah Alyousef Kuwait
Aleksa Pecelj, Serbia
Bader Alawadhi Lebanon
Bart Czapla. Poland
Bob Keller CO
Corey Deuel FL
Danny Barouty OR
Darren Appleton PA
Denis Grabe Estonia
Dimitri Jungo Switerland
Dimitris Loukatos Greece
Elliott Sanderson England
Francisco Candella Italy
Jani Siekkinen Finland
Jani Uski Finland
Jeffrey de Luna, Philippines
Jere Virtaranta Finland
John Morra Canada
Konrad Juszczyszyn, Poland
Marc Vidal CO
Max Eberle NV
Michael Schneider Switzerland
Michael Yednak NY
Mieszko Fortunski Poland
Mika Immonen NY
Moritz Neuhausen Germany
Petri Makkonen Finland
Pijus Labutis Lithuania
Ralf Souquet Germany
Thorsten Hohmann NY
Tim DeRuyter Netherlands
Tony Robles FL

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Last year was my first year to attend and I even had the opportunity to commentate a couple of streamed matches.

It's a great event and if you love 14.1 you must attend at least once.

Lou Figueroa

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Since the World 14.1 Championship lost its WPA sanctioning in 2011, I had always opined that the hardest 14.1 title to win in the world was the European 14.1 Championship, but last year's event changed all of that. The American 14.1 is the greatest assembly of straight pool talent on pool's calendar and this year looks even stronger than last year, despite the absence of Chinakhov.

Props to Peter Burrows for turning this event into something very special. What a field! Good luck to all of these fine players.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I never thought I'd see the day when a straight pool event would have a field that could reasonably be compared to those of about 1980, when the World Straight Pool Championships would feature each of Mike Sigel, Steve Mizerak, Nick Varner, Dallas West, Allen Hopkins, Irving Crane, Lou Butera, Jim Rempe, Danny DiLiberto, Ray Martin, Luther Lassiter, Jimmy Moore and Joe Balsis. Yup, that's thirteen BCA Hall of Famers.

I'm starting to reconsider things.

A random question to pool fans, as I understand it straight pool is one of the oldest forms of pool and requires a high level of skill with luck playing less of a part than other games.

If strong fields can be assembled why can’t there be a world championship organised? Surely if the desire is to spread the game, and world class players are up for it, then a world event would help?

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A random question to pool fans, as I understand it straight pool is one of the oldest forms of pool and requires a high level of skill with luck playing less of a part than other games.

If strong fields can be assembled why can’t there be a world championship organised? Surely if the desire is to spread the game, and world class players are up for it, then a world event would help?

there needs to be a bigger prize fund for WPA to sanction it as a world championship, so it's basically a matter of money / sponsors

the strong field is because of it being close in time and place to the international open 9-ball. lots of euros and asians are already in the US

there needs to be a bigger prize fund for WPA to sanction it as a world championship, so it's basically a matter of money / sponsors

the strong field is because of it being close in time and place to the international open 9-ball. lots of euros and asians are already in the US
I have no real preference, but it does to me raise the interesting question of what the governing body role is? If the governing body of pool is to raise the profile of pool in all its forms. Then it should sanction a world title and maybe host it close to a big nine ball event to allow player availability. Then letting the prize fund fall were the market decrees.

If the roll of the governing body is it’s just about passing a cash threshold to ensure a “high quality” event, keeping credibility and preventing anyone from setting up a world title. Then that makes sense. Nonetheless eventually that sanction is probably never going to happen for straight pool, and giving other pool disciplines little chance of continuing other than as a very niche games.

My love is snooker with only a passing interest in pool, but it seems to me that “pool” covers so many discipline, for the WPA to claim control over them all seems greedy. The end point probably be other forms of pool gradually get strangled or wither away to a point only 9 ball counts.

Snooker and Billiard (English Billiards) used to be connected, but eventually Billiards went it own way. The prize fund is time £5000 for the next world championship winner, but there is still a tournament which can claim a heritage back to the 1800’s, it’s. Shame Straight pool cants do something simila.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have no real preference, but it does to me raise the interesting question of what the governing body role is? If the governing body of pool is to raise the profile of pool in all its forms. Then it should sanction a world title and maybe host it close to a big nine ball event to allow player availability. Then letting the prize fund fall were the market decrees.

If the roll of the governing body is it’s just about passing a cash threshold to ensure a “high quality” event, keeping credibility and preventing anyone from setting up a world title. Then that makes sense. Nonetheless eventually that sanction is probably never going to happen for straight pool, and giving other pool disciplines little chance of continuing other than as a very niche games.

My love is snooker with only a passing interest in pool, but it seems to me that “pool” covers so many discipline, for the WPA to claim control over them all seems greedy. The end point probably be other forms of pool gradually get strangled or wither away to a point only 9 ball counts.

Snooker and Billiard (English Billiards) used to be connected, but eventually Billiards went it own way. The prize fund is time £5000 for the next world championship winner, but there is still a tournament which can claim a heritage back to the 1800’s, it’s. Shame Straight pool cants do something simila.

sjm or bob jewett could probably give a better reasoned and more comprehensive answer than i, but i think you hit the nail on the head in the part i highlighted. the pool world has actually already been through this with the dragon promotions 14.1 events some decade ago. iirc charlie kept calling it a world championship without passing the prize fund threshold, and the champions that came after that aren't regarded as proper world champions. i don't know the full story.

i tend to lean towards the WPA side here solely because i want the players to be awarded decent prize money. it's their livelihood after all, throphys don't pay any bills. as i wrote this field wouldn't be anywhere near this strong if it wasn't for the intl open and the US open.

sjm or bob jewett could probably give a better reasoned and more comprehensive answer than i, but i think you hit the nail on the head in the part i highlighted. the pool world has actually already been through this with the dragon promotions 14.1 events some decade ago. iirc charlie kept calling it a world championship without passing the prize fund threshold, and the champions that came after that aren't regarded as proper world champions. i don't know the full story.

i tend to lean towards the WPA side here solely because i want the players to be awarded decent prize money. it's their livelihood after all, throphys don't pay any bills. as i wrote this field wouldn't be anywhere near this strong if it wasn't for the intl open and the US open.
Thanks for the reply, not that I know much anything about straight pool, (other than it’s the one we’re you keep potting balls).

But as I say I just find the what is the governing bodies responsibility to the sport a good question. When it all boils down you are dead right, it’s a business and about making money and having a sustainable sport.

Problem is historically such bodies like the WPBSA have been pretty poor at managing. Snooker was on life support until Barry came in on his white charger and saved the sport. And pool doesn’t seem much different because as far as I can tell it’s Matchroom who have taken 9B forward not the governing body.

I don’t know who wanted to play in the dragon promotions events mentioned or the prize money involved, or how many events they held, but I have a feeling there are a few ego’s involved.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have no real preference, but it does to me raise the interesting question of what the governing body role is? ...
If you have a serious interest, I think the best thing to do is read the various organizational documents on the WPA website: https://wpapool.com/

Those include history, board, rules, equipment specs (the five ball is orange;)), sanctioning rules, ....

In the particular case of required prize fund, I think the main reason for a high minimum is to make it financially reasonable for the top players to participate. The minimum added money for a world championship is $100,000. Some players have support from their national governing bodies, but some do not.

When Dragon Promotions organized some 14.1 World Championships, they got a waiver for the amount of added money, and only had to add $25,000 (IIRC). One of the problems that caused is that the organizers of world pool championships in other disciplines (8, 9, 10?) were unhappy because they had to come up with the full amount. Dragon had a 5-year contract, and I think the fourth year they did not meet the added money, so that event produced the only three WPA-recognized 14.1 World Champions: Ortman (2), Hohmann, and Feijen.

No Dragon event after 2010 had a WPA sanction although some of them claimed to be world championships. The prize funds were not well publicized.

In the case of snooker, the promotional side (WPBSA/WST) is doing wonderfully, but the international organization is confused and broken. As in pool, it seems that the two parts don't mix very well.

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
LIVE NOW
Mika is playing someone. I think it is Petri so it is a fight to the Finish between these 2 :LOL:

This is link to bracket but is not working yet

Event Guide/ information

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member