American 14.1 Straight Pool Championship (Oct 24-29), Norfolk, Winner $10K

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
The first time I ever saw Ervolino play was at Chelsea Billiards in NYC. He was supposed to play some young kid at 9-ball, and he was warming up on a back table. He waited a long time for the kid to show up, and when he finally did he walked right up to Ervolino and said "You're gonna get a game tonight Johnny!" I was expecting some awesome action, but instead the kid walked halfway across the room, sat down and ate a sandwich. Ervolino was getting more and more pissed off as the kid wasn't coming over to play, and he starting cussing and slamming the balls. After a while I turned to the guy next to me and asked if they were actually going to play, and he said yeah, just not tonight. Apparently the kid was playing mind games with Ervolino and trying to get into his head for when they did play. The kid eventually just got up and walked out of the room. I wish I knew who the kid was but I never did find out or get to see them play.
I guarantee you Johnny beat the kid if they ever did play. No one beat Johnny in New York for the cash. Not Jersey Red, not Richie Ambrose, not New York Blackie, not Boston Shorty (He was Johnny's toughest opponent at One Pocket. If he could get up on the table no one could beat Shorty!) and not any of the younger generation either.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think Corey double hit on his follow through?
Good call by Karl here. Corey not only double hit the cue ball, he split the rack wide open at the same time. Karl's ruling is questionable but not wrong imo. He could have given Darren BIH behind the line and respotted the ball that went in. Corey would lose a point in this scenario, and not fifteen points. I'm guessing that Karl felt that Corey dilberately broke open the rack and that play could not continue in this rack. In that case a rerack would be correct, along with the accompanying penalty. It's a judgement call and Karl did what he felt was right under the circumstances imo.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Here’s a GREAT fast paced world class 14.1 match with EXCELLENT commentary.

I can’t find anything to complain about in this production. Worth a watch. Proper 14.1 Beenie & Nick doing 10/10 commentary.

Enjoy

Best Fatboy
Two of the best, both on the table and in the booth!

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Top favorite Filler on verge of elimination. Strong comeback by Alex 137-110
#2 high runner Zielinski nice comeback now ties FSR 145-145. FSR has been on 145 for longg time 😄

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Top favorite Filler on verge of elimination. Strong comeback by Alex 137-110
#2 high runner Zielinski nice comeback now ties FSR 145-145. FSR has been on 145 for longg time 😄

filler won, as did zielinski. too bad they have to play each other next.

familiar faces in the quarters, mostly. i sense a repeat win for filler.

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
Good call by Karl here. Corey not only double hit the cue ball, he split the rack wide open at the same time. Karl's ruling is questionable but not wrong imo. He could have given Darren BIH behind the line and respotted the ball that went in. Corey would lose a point in this scenario, and not fifteen points. I'm guessing that Karl felt that Corey dilberately broke open the rack and that play could not continue in this rack. In that case a rerack would be correct, along with the accompanying penalty. It's a judgement call and Karl did what he felt was right under the circumstances imo.
When do you think he hit the cue ball the second time Jay?

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I watched the video several times and don't think he double hit the ball, it just looked that way when he caught a kiss off the two.

Lou Figueroa

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
I watched the video several times and don't think he double hit the ball, it just looked that way when he caught a kiss off the two.

Lou Figueroa
He definitely didn't hit the cue ball a second time after it hit the 7 ball (the first object ball it hit).

Badpenguin

If you set the playback speed to 1/4, it is fairly clear (to me at least) that he did not double hit. With his long extended stroke, possibly because of stretching to make the shot, it is easy to see why it may have appeared to be a double hit, but it was not. The delayed high english catches off of the 1 ball and sends it straight to the scratch hole.

WardS

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And Filler gets the high run 126-and-out and then continues to 216. I heard that there's a $1000 for highest continuation run.
Zelinski missed the 6 ball on his 216 ball finished at 215. Kid plays at a fast pace. Fun to watch

SmoothStroke

Swim for the win.
Silver Member
Morra and Jungo,,,,first rack, 5 balls left on the table, routine shot, simple stuff, 2 ball to get on the 12,
commentator says,,,That was the best shot of the match right there. WTF
I can't, I tried..... Mute button.

JusticeNJ

Four Points/Steel Joints
Silver Member
Wiktor runs 136 out on Filler. After he ran 150 out on FSR (who ran 145 prior thereto)

The commentary still has this “noblesse oblige” vibe where they were referring to “rotation style” players.

Wiktor played beautiful straight pool. Like 1 or 2 inning straight pool. On a Diamond. Good end patterns and nice creativity to solve problems.

That’s good enough to hold your own in any era.

Really impressive stuff. Wiktor knows the game for sure.