American 14.1 Straight Pool Championship (Oct 24-29), Norfolk, Winner $10K

Mich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jimmy Fusco called Ervolino "the man who knew everything about pool."
If you watch Sigel's 150 and out vs Zuglan at the '92 US Open, Ervolino enters the booth when Sigel has run about 7 racks and he calls Sigel's shot selection and patterns perfectly over the last 3 racks. But Ervolino and Sigel played classic 14.1 and could probably call each other's patterns. I don't think most rotation players play that kind of 14.1 anymore. Maybe Thorsten?

JusticeNJ

Four Points/Steel Joints
Silver Member
If you watch Sigel's 150 and out vs Zuglan at the '92 US Open, Ervolino enters the booth when Sigel has run about 7 racks and he calls Sigel's shot selection and patterns perfectly over the last 3 racks. But Ervolino and Sigel played classic 14.1 and could probably call each other's patterns. I don't think most rotation players play that kind of 14.1 anymore. Maybe Thorsten?
Calling that side pocket break shot was really impressive to me. I think a lot of players would have tried for a classic side of the rack - if I recall the layout correctly there was an available break ball.

Johnny *knew* Mike was taking an easier pattern though. Crazy.

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Now when they finally get to the single elims watch Big Al switch the stream to the meaningless women's round robin matches. LMAO

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Now when they finally get to the single elims watch Big Al switch the stream to the meaningless women's round robin matches. LMAO
Starting with the 8 pm matches tonight, the feature table (Table 25) will have 7 men's matches and two women's matches through the end of the event. The schedule for all of the tables is posted on americanstraightpool.com.

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why can I not go back and find the 1st part of Corey and Darrens match?
I look and can only find it starting at 64 - 36 Corey.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why can I not go back and find the 1st part of Corey and Darrens match?
I look and can only find it starting at 64 - 36 Corey.
You’ll see the issue anyways.

I asked Johnny Archer and he didn’t understand the re-rack either. He thinks the ref might have been confused and was thinking 3 foul re-rack. It’s hard to tell from the video. I don’t understand either. Maybe we are missing some thing

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the ref thought that Corey hit a ball when he waived his cue after he scratched, although clearly he did not.

Just guessing but I think the ref, based upon how the CB went straight forward, incorrectly called a double-hit.

It happen so fast he didn't see the kiss off the two ball. Sports are littered with bad calls from refs, officials, and umps.

Lou Figueroa

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bracket.jpg

markjames

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just guessing but I think the ref, based upon how the CB went straight forward, incorrectly called a double-hit.

It happen so fast he didn't see the kiss off the two ball. Sports are littered with bad calls from refs, officials, and umps.

Lou Figueroa
yeah did you see what the snooker ref did to jimmy white recently? the

what’s so funny about that? incident

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
I've watched a few players, and it's very obvious that not all of these men have played 14.1. Too much cue ball distance, not close in enough on break shot ball, and the cut shot of a ball close to the side, coming two rails out of the corner is one of thee best break shots for cue ball position to table middle. These guys are all such great shots, they don't realize ''being in close'' to your ball clusters is key. And rule of thumb in the Lassiter years, your ball patterns with the last 5 balls should have Very little cue ball movement with a preferred stop shot on your ball before the break ball position.

NathanDetroit

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would agree generally, but alternating between reds and colours makes snooker easier for casual fans to follow. With 14.1, if you don’t know the game, it can look a bit haphazard and random. It doesn’t help when commentators struggle to predict the players patterns. And that is common, because I feel like many commentators are trying to apply classical 14.1 thinking to 9 ball players who have a more unorthodox approach. Personally, I’d hate to commentate 14.1. because the players would make me sound silly.
Or unorthodox 1p players. Corey refuses to do what the commentators call for

NathanDetroit

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's a YouTube video with the Deuel/Appleton match. The debated point is at about 51:55. Anyone see anything meriting Karl's call?
This video begins with DA doing swordplay. His next inning finishes with him hitting the table with his stick.

Looked like Corey may have complained. If there was a warning, could that have been why ref got tough?

JusticeNJ

Four Points/Steel Joints
Silver Member
FB stream are just bad compared to YT. Horrible player, cannot rewind while live stream, chats difficult to read, url does not work for public if not set properly, no easy playlist etc etc
The inability to rewind is awful