An oldie, but a goodie!

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
No, this isn't a thread about Joey Aguzin.

:)

I'm sure this has probably been posted before, but look at it as a nice break from the politics and a look back at one of the great moments in our game.

Efren Reyes Vs Jim Rempe - 1996 Legends of 9 Ball

IMO, this is one of the most exciting and entertaining matches in the history of the game by two of the greatest players ever. If you ever want to show sponsors how emotional, exciting, and marketable our game can be - show them this!

Enjoy!

elvicash

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I watched that match it was great. I wonder if Marop was there, I heard a double snap after a real nice shot and I think it had the Marop cadence.

onemorebrando

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
one of my favorites

everything from the shots, commentary, to show of sportsmanship is what makes this game great. i always come back to this match.

Masayoshi

Fusenshou no Masa
Silver Member
At 24:18 how did he get the cue ball to go forward and still masse? Was it because the ball hopped?

ScottR

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great match. Love the commentary from Nick and Steve. Tom Kelly on the other hand . . . . . .

Scott

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
Great match. Love the commentary from Nick and Steve. Tom Kelly on the other hand . . . . . .

Scott

For many years, Tom Kelly was the voice of the USC Trojans. He and The Miz had quite a rapport, and IMO, were perfect together in the booth.

Matt90

Trust the Process
Silver Member
Great !!

Solid Gold !! What a great match .Made me a even more proud owner of a GC 3 too :thumbup:OOps wait that's an AMF table . I was paying more attention to the match

Last edited:

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
I never get tired of watching that match. Thank you Blackjack. Notice that the stands were full and Jack Kelly said they were sold out. Now you almost can fire a shotgun in the stands at major tournaments in the US and not hit anyone. Johnnyt

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
At 24:18 how did he get the cue ball to go forward and still masse? Was it because the ball hopped?

I think so...sort of like a force-follow shot, but elevating the cue made it hop. I think he'd of done something different if he wasn't up against the rail. This is my all time favorite video, I have it on my iPod and watch it before every tournament! Efren's out on the hill was one of the all time great outs. Bad position on each of the last three balls and he still pulled it out. Wish I had more of King James on video, he's the guy I've always emulated when I go back to see what I should do with my mechanics. I also have the Color of Money match between Earl and Efren on my iPod and watch that over and over...talk about a great match!

ScottR

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For many years, Tom Kelly was the voice of the USC Trojans. He and The Miz had quite a rapport, and IMO, were perfect together in the booth.

I could hear the chemistry, Dave. However, when he tried to analyze the game and shot options/results, he was over his head. I just think he'd be better with the color commentary and leave the "play by play" to the real players.

Scott <<== hasn't walked in the man's shoes, so probably shouldn't critique

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As I said in another thread, I've known Rempe for many years. I don't think I ever personally saw him play better.

Slide Rule

ConservativeHardLiner
Silver Member
A truly great match

A truly great match. Great shooting and suspense by two champions.

Thanks Blackjack for posting.

DRW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No, this isn't a thread about Joey Aguzin.

I'm sure this has probably been posted before, but look at it as a nice break from the politics and a look back at one of the great moments in our game.

Efren Reyes Vs Jim Rempe - 1996 Legends of 9 Ball

IMO, this is one of the most exciting and entertaining matches in the history of the game by two of the greatest players ever. If you ever want to show sponsors how emotional, exciting, and marketable our game can be - show them this!

Enjoy!

Thanks for posting that match, Dave. Very exciting.:smile:

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
Thanks for the memories. JR and ER. I first saw this match when it was televised on ESPN, something like 20 years ago.

How about the masse shot on the six ball when Jim was down 5-1?

Great shot, great match, double hill excitement.

Wow.

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
You know they say that the second thing to go is memory.

I just finished watching the match and realized it was not double hill as I remembered.