Another Efren moment

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
Wow, just wow. First the shot! Efren awesomeness!

Second: Words escape me, trying to accurately convey the sheer ignorance and giant egos of those who claim to know how to shoot this shot better than Efren. The only comparison I can think of is to the kind of person trying to tell the surgeon how to do his job, while the surgeon is operating on his diseased brain.

When it comes to PRACTICAL knowledge of pool shot selection and ball reactions off rails etc, Efren is in a league of his own, even among professionals. For those of you that don't know, Efren is a balkline champion as well as an all around champion of EVERY kind of pool that is commonly played. Balkline is a discipline of carom where a routine shot is to drive a ball away, into one or more rails, and then back into the cueball and the other object ball in order to gather them. This shot is common to carom as well, but due to the rules of balkline, it is a much more frequent occurrence in that game. The shot Efren shot, is of a very similar type to this standard shot. But naturally you keyboard warriors know much more about balkline and pool than Efren, right?:rolleyes:

Attachments

• 128111345.jpg
    128111345.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 196

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The OB carom angle is harder from that angle (OB going away from the rail instead of parallel to it when it hits the CB). It's also harder to hit the CB accurately off of 2 rails.

That doesn't mean Efren's not Da Man - we don't have to gild the lily for him.

pj
chgo

Look at the shot. The cue ball was in front of the side pocket. The only way the ball went in the side was two rails. He needed the angle for the 10 ball to fall.

You didn't see the shot. Then he showed you the shot and you still don't see it. :)

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Look at the shot. The cue ball was in front of the side pocket. The only way the ball went in the side was two rails. He needed the angle for the 10 ball to fall.
As I said above, I think the second rail makes it harder for the OB to fall.

pj
chgo

abbassi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He was sure the 10 was going into the side as soon as he made the 9.

Nice shot by a pleasant man.

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
After contact the CB ended up almost past the side pocket...he would have had to draw it to keep it closer to the midline, and that makes controlling the rebounding 10 ball harder. Since the tangent line contact point on the CB is now at the forward edge of the side, he needed to come off the rail to hit it, otherwise, the 10 ball would have hit the CB too high and ended up above the side pocket...so yeah, hitting the long rail was the way he needed to go. This man thinks so many levels above the mortal range it's scary...

Double-Dave

Developing cue-addict
Silver Member
The OB carom angle is harder from that angle (OB going away from the rail instead of parallel to it when it hits the CB). It's also harder to hit the CB accurately off of 2 rails.

That doesn't mean Efren's not Da Man - we don't have to gild the lily for him.

pj
chgo

To make the OB in the corner would have been the obvious shot, don't you think?
So instead of making the obvious shot Efren gave us a treat. I have tried and made the
shot exactly as Efren did after 4 or 5 tries, as mentioned my buddy made it on his very
first try. So the shot is far from impossible or even extremely hard. It's just very creative.

Efren did not misjudge the path of the 10 by at least 6 inches....seriously.

gr. Dave

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
Weren't they playing bank the 10 in this tournament? I wasn't watching, but in an earlier match Efren and Busty chased the 10 for two innings trying to bank it, and Efren's reaction in this game when he hit the 9 ball indicated to me that he was disappointed in coming up short for a bank on the 10 cross side.

Double-Dave

Developing cue-addict
Silver Member
Weren't they playing bank the 10 in this tournament? I wasn't watching, but in an earlier match Efren and Busty chased the 10 for two innings trying to bank it, and Efren's reaction in this game when he hit the 9 ball indicated to me that he was disappointed in coming up short for a bank on the 10 cross side.

No, they were not.

Efren and Busti are "on tour" in Germany and you can book them to come to your poolhall
and do an exhibition or play a tournament. So Efren was there to entertain the crowd and he did.

gr. Dave

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
After contact the CB ended up almost past the side pocket...he would have had to draw it to keep it closer to the midline, and that makes controlling the rebounding 10 ball harder. Since the tangent line contact point on the CB is now at the forward edge of the side, he needed to come off the rail to hit it, otherwise, the 10 ball would have hit the CB too high and ended up above the side pocket...so yeah, hitting the long rail was the way he needed to go. This man thinks so many levels above the mortal range it's scary...
With the 1 pocket version of this shot the CB is always above the target pocket, but it's never (to my knowledge) shot 2 rails. I've made that shot many times, and wouldn't think of going 2 rails if I didn't have to.

Since he was just showing off, Efren may have meant to go 2 rails - but I still doubt it.

pj
chgo

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
With the 1 pocket version of this shot the CB is always above the target pocket, but it's never (to my knowledge) shot 2 rails. I've made that shot many times, and wouldn't think of going 2 rails if I didn't have to.

Since he was just showing off, Efren may have meant to go 2 rails - but I still doubt it.

pj
chgo

I'm sorry, but I think I trust Efrens judgement and execution over yours, however hard that might be to comprehend. He shot it 2 rails, because it was the correct way to shoot it at the EXACT angle he was on, especially since the alternative is that he hit it like a donkey!

Attachments

• you-cannot-be-fooking-serious-bro-thumb.jpg
    you-cannot-be-fooking-serious-bro-thumb.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some are stating that the shot is so difficult to do. Well, as others have stated, it's not very difficult to do at all. And, yes, with Efren's experience at 3 cushion and other games, odds are very, very, high that he intended it for two rails and not one.

That said, the fact that the shot is really nothing more than a trick shot in it's ease does not diminish the greatness of the shot in the least. What makes Efren so special, is not just his ability to make shots like those, but his awareness that the shot was another possibility for him to choose to shoot. And, on top of that, his supreme confidence on making it on the first try and knowing that for him it was actually no harder than shooting the ball straight up into the corner.

Efren's ability to see those type of shots right away, and then execute them on the first attempt is what makes him the magician. Not that he shoots shots that no one else can make.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Bruce Lee, Chuck Norris and Holly Holm took kicking lessons from Efren.
FACT!:smile: