Another Glorious Trip to the Betmore Basement

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I've just returned from my very pool-related vacation, which began at the WPBA US Open and, far more notably for the AZB faithful, ended in the Betmore Basement.

First, a few words about the US Open. For this fan, the three best matches were 1) Jennifer Barretta vs Ga Young Kim in round two of the winner's bracket, in which Jennifer led 8-5 before Ga Young charged back to win double hill, 2) a double hill thriller between Gerda Hofstatter and Kim White, in which Gerda ran out a tough layout in the decisive rack, and 3) a dandy between Kim Shaw and Angel Paglia, in which both played well, with Angel's double hill break and run proving decisive, and earning her a spot in the single elimination stage.

The final four (Gerda Hofstatter, Ga Young Kim, Allison Fisher, Karen Corr) played well to reach the semis, and, for eventual champion Ga Young Kim, the TV rounds were eeirly similar to those at San diego earlier this year. At San Diego, Ga Young got to 5-5 in the semis vs Gerda and prevailed 7-5. At the US Open, Ga Young got to 5-5 in the semis vs Gerda amd prevailed 7-5. At San Diego, Ga young jumped out to a 4-1 advantage in the final, but her opponent (Webb) played exquisitely to reach 5-5, and then her opponent won the championship. At the US Open, Ga young jumped out to a 4-1 advantage in the final, but her opponent (Corr) played exquisitely to reach 5-5. Deja vu, or so it seemed. However, the result would be different on this occasion, with Ga Young winning the title. Ga Young played well and was deserving champion.

As a sidenote, a few of the younger players made a nice impression, too, but most notable among them were junior player Briana Miller who give Line Kjorsvik a very tough test, Supadra Boonpasook who came within a whisker of beating Kim White, and Nicole Keeney, whose consistent play earned her a 17th place finish.

When it was all over, it was off to Indianapolis for four days of straight pool in the Betmore Basement, the shrine dedicated to the game of pool of fellow poster Williebetmore. It was the first straight pool I played in ten months, but I adapted fairly well. Played lots and lots and lots of straight pool, and my high run during the trip was 51, with which I was fully satsified givne the fact that the table, at least by my standards, was fairly tight. Willie played some great pool, too, and while I dont recall what his high run was, he had more than a few runs of 25 or better. His game continues to advance at a nice pace. Well played, Willie.

Perhaps fearing I would tire of him as an opponent, a thoroughly unfounded apprehension, Willie arranged two other games for me. First, at his insistence, I played two races to 100 with Jeanette Lee on Wednesday. In game one, a seemingly innocent miss of mine on a four ball leading 20-17 proved fatal when Jeanette (quite rudely and inhospitably) ran 83 and out. This run must have gotten my attention, for I played with a great sense of urgency in the second game, beating her 100-78. On Thursday, I managed a game with fellow AZBer Elvicash, and enjoyed it very much.

When we weren't playing pool, I was being spoiled rotten by Willie and the generally exquisite Mrs. Betmore. The highpoint of the festivities was a barbecue attended by many, among them my good friends and well-known dynamos in our sport, Jeanette Lee, George Breedlove, Nesli O'Hare, and Jeff Beckley. It was a savory affair, in which I had my share ---- make that more than my share --- of the many delicacies offered by my generous host and hostess.

If you are lucky enough to have the opportunity, you'd be foolish to decline your chance to play in the Betmore basement with a host who will spoil you rotten.

Thanks for a grand old time, Willie. Let's do it again some time.
 
Well, if that doesn't beat all! I was in Indy on Tuesday evening (and even tried to meet up with Elvicash myself, but he wasn't home). I have had several invitations from Don, and I am kicking myself for not stopping in this time! It sounds like you had a great time sjm! I WILL make it to Betmore's Basement one of these days!

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com
 
Well, if that doesn't beat all! I was in Indy on Tuesday evening (and even tried to meet up with Elvicash myself, but he wasn't home). I have had several invitations from Don, and I am kicking myself for not stopping in this time! It sounds like you had a great time sjm! I WILL make it to Betmore's Basement one of these days!

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Yeah, would have been nice, Scott.
 
Stu,

I envy you. My trip to the Betmore basement was cancelled due to car trouble in Indy last year. Like you, Don is one great supporter of 14.1. I am indebted to him for his generosity:bow-down:.

Lyn
 
Sounds like Williebetmore is the dream host...

He invited me for some 14-1 and one-pocket lessons by Danny D a few days before the DCC this year, but unfortunately I had no chance of leaving work earlier. I regret it a lot, and I hope there will be another oppurtunity to play some 14-1 in Betmore Basement in the future. :)

Looks like I need to make it to one of these WPBA tournaments...
 
Okay....

so I've Google Earth'd "Betmore's Basement" and the site won't show me where it's at. Must be kind of like the 'garden of Eden' or 'Heaven' where
we just have to get to a whole new level of existence to be able to
experience it.

Where's that 'yoda' fellow when I need him?

I'm not worthy......................:angel:


td
 
so I've Google Earth'd "Betmore's Basement" and the site won't show me where it's at. Must be kind of like the 'garden of Eden' or 'Heaven' where
we just have to get to a whole new level of existence to be able to
experience it.

Where's that 'yoda' fellow when I need him?

I'm not worthy......................:angel:


td

grindz,

You just don't know how close to the truth you are!!!!!!!!!

Lyn
 
That's great. I'm happy that you're having a good time with your friends. Thanks for sharing.
 
Stu,

I envy you. My trip to the Betmore basement was cancelled due to car trouble in Indy last year. Like you, Don is one great supporter of 14.1. I am indebted to him for his generosity:bow-down:.

Lyn

Right you are, Lyn. Don has the same passion for 14.1 as you and I.
 
Sounds like Williebetmore is the dream host...

He invited me for some 14-1 and one-pocket lessons by Danny D a few days before the DCC this year, but unfortunately I had no chance of leaving work earlier. I regret it a lot, and I hope there will be another oppurtunity to play some 14-1 in Betmore Basement in the future. :)

Looks like I need to make it to one of these WPBA tournaments...

As far as making it to the Betmore Basement, find a way, Roy. And, yes, you need to come to a WPBA event.
 
Who, at present, is the honorable holder of the Betmore Cup? :)

I believe that would be Williebetmore himself. Out of respect for Mark Griffin, who has dedicated his life to attainment of the Betmore Cup, I did not propose a challenge for the cup on my trip.
 
That's great. I'm happy that you're having a good time with your friends. Thanks for sharing.

Yeah, the reason for the post is to spread the word that hooking up with a fellow AZBer for a friendly matchup over the glorious green felt is always a good idea.
 
Thanks for a grand old time, Willie. Let's do it again some time.

sjm,
I'm just getting around to checking the forum - as many are aware I've decided to learn to play pool; leaving little time for AZB.

Many thanks for the glowing (if somewhat inaccurate) report. Thanks for not mentioning my continuous sharking (constant wheedling for advice, and grabbing the chalk out of your hands), primitive meals (my idea of a great week is occasional food and lots of pool), and scary trips in the new roadster.

You also failed to mention the amount of great advice you dispensed throughout the week. For those unaware, you are one of the last players around with knowledge of old school straight pool - something I REALLY want to learn. As you are willing to dispense such knowledge, it is always a privilege and a pleasure to have you visit. My straight pool game always jumps a level; and I have definitely had my eyes opened to a new level of play. Hopefully we can do it again before DCC (I could use a bit of 9-ball theory as well).
 
so I've Google Earth'd "Betmore's Basement" and the site won't show me where it's at. Must be kind of like the 'garden of Eden' or 'Heaven' where
we just have to get to a whole new level of existence to be able to
experience it.

Where's that 'yoda' fellow when I need him?

I'm not worthy......................:angel:


td

g-man,
Yes, you are on the right track. Xanadu, Atlantis, Fountain of Youth, City of Gold, and Betmore's Basement - all are certainly places we all would like to visit. The Betmore Cup is also one of those artifacts we all would like to see at some time in our all too short lives - Mona Lisa, King Tut's sarcophagus, the Hope diamond....you get the idea.

Even with the million dollar security system and round-the-clock, highly paid guards; there is still concern over the safety of "the Cup", so you can see that invitations to this very special place must be doled out judiciously. SJM had the good manners to keep a respectful distance; and did not make any ridiculous requests (such as actually touching or handling this priceless object).
 
Yeah, the reason for the post is to spread the word that hooking up with a fellow AZBer for a friendly matchup over the glorious green felt is always a good idea.

sjm,
Thanks for pointing this out; I've had a long list of AZB'ers visit the Basement, and I've yet to have a bad experience. Wally in Cincy, sjm, Mark Griffin, sunnyday, JCIN, FastJK, Grady, steev, eales, Monica, Hal2, MOJOE, sandiana kid, calcuttaman have all visited (I may be forgetting someone...sorry), as well as some very prominent lurkers.

All of the visits so far have been quite enjoyable. The AZB community is definitely a great place for the serious pool fan, and we are lucky to have the forum.

I'm hopeful that all of those members who have threatened to visit in the past (and then not been able to make it) will have the opportunity to visit in the future. We like to play pool around here.
 
..... my idea of a great week is occasional food and lots of pool .....

You also failed to mention the amount of great advice you dispensed throughout the week. For those unaware, you are one of the last players around with knowledge of old school straight pool - something I REALLY want to learn. As you are willing to dispense such knowledge, it is always a privilege and a pleasure to have you visit ..... My straight pool game always jumps a level .....

Willie, you're being a bit too generous here. All I did was show you how to put knowledge you already have to more effective use. Yes, you did jump a level, but entirely because your committment to planning the table reached a higher level.

Also, your view of the gastronomics as matter-of-fact filler is downright wrong. When the lady of the house makes a killer Chicken Tetrazzini and when tenderloin steaks are on the grill, the cuisine rates as more than a footnote.

We'll try to pull off another hookup before the 2010 Derby.
 
I've just returned from my very pool-related vacation, which began at the WPBA US Open and, far more notably for the AZB faithful, ended in the Betmore Basement.

First, a few words about the US Open. For this fan, the three best matches were 1) Jennifer Barretta vs Ga Young Kim in round two of the winner's bracket, in which Jennifer led 8-5 before Ga Young charged back to win double hill, 2) a double hill thriller between Gerda Hofstatter and Kim White, in which Gerda ran out a tough layout in the decisive rack, and 3) a dandy between Kim Shaw and Angel Paglia, in which both played well, with Angel's double hill break and run proving decisive, and earning her a spot in the single elimination stage.

The final four (Gerda Hofstatter, Ga Young Kim, Allison Fisher, Karen Corr) played well to reach the semis, and, for eventual champion Ga Young Kim, the TV rounds were eeirly similar to those at San diego earlier this year. At San Diego, Ga Young got to 5-5 in the semis vs Gerda and prevailed 7-5. At the US Open, Ga Young got to 5-5 in the semis vs Gerda amd prevailed 7-5. At San Diego, Ga young jumped out to a 4-1 advantage in the final, but her opponent (Webb) played exquisitely to reach 5-5, and then her opponent won the championship. At the US Open, Ga young jumped out to a 4-1 advantage in the final, but her opponent (Corr) played exquisitely to reach 5-5. Deja vu, or so it seemed. However, the result would be different on this occasion, with Ga Young winning the title. Ga Young played well and was deserving champion.

As a sidenote, a few of the younger players made a nice impression, too, but most notable among them were junior player Briana Miller who give Line Kjorsvik a very tough test, Supadra Boonpasook who came within a whisker of beating Kim White, and Nicole Keeney, whose consistent play earned her a 17th place finish.

When it was all over, it was off to Indianapolis for four days of straight pool in the Betmore Basement, the shrine dedicated to the game of pool of fellow poster Williebetmore. It was the first straight pool I played in ten months, but I adapted fairly well. Played lots and lots and lots of straight pool, and my high run during the trip was 51, with which I was fully satsified givne the fact that the table, at least by my standards, was fairly tight. Willie played some great pool, too, and while I dont recall what his high run was, he had more than a few runs of 25 or better. His game continues to advance at a nice pace. Well played, Willie.

Perhaps fearing I would tire of him as an opponent, a thoroughly unfounded apprehension, Willie arranged two other games for me. First, at his insistence, I played two races to 100 with Jeanette Lee on Wednesday. In game one, a seemingly innocent miss of mine on a four ball leading 20-17 proved fatal when Jeanette (quite rudely and inhospitably) ran 83 and out. This run must have gotten my attention, for I played with a great sense of urgency in the second game, beating her 100-78. On Thursday, I managed a game with fellow AZBer Elvicash, and enjoyed it very much.

When we weren't playing pool, I was being spoiled rotten by Willie and the generally exquisite Mrs. Betmore. The highpoint of the festivities was a barbecue attended by many, among them my good friends and well-known dynamos in our sport, Jeanette Lee, George Breedlove, Nesli O'Hare, and Jeff Beckley. It was a savory affair, in which I had my share ---- make that more than my share --- of the many delicacies offered by my generous host and hostess.

If you are lucky enough to have the opportunity, you'd be foolish to decline your chance to play in the Betmore basement with a host who will spoil you rotten.

Thanks for a grand old time, Willie. Let's do it again some time.



That was a very good read, sounds like you had a great time, thanks for sharing.


David Harcrow
 
Back
Top