Another Mark Gregory Brunswick Anniversary (with a twist)

Floppage

True Beginner
Silver Member
Warning: I apologize in advance for this being so long. I tried to keep it simple but it's been a very long journey and it's difficult to figure out what to leave out.

About 2 years ago, as part of my increasing awareness of pool, I discovered the
Brunswick Anniversary pool table and was hooked immediately. It had great lines, a really solid look and from what I had read played really well. The more I learned about the history of the table, the more I knew it was the perfect table for me.

12541125_10207207253892493_2489310604321311828_n.jpg

However, at around $12k for a fully restored version it was a little out of my pool table budget.

So, I spent a year (yes, a year) searching craigslist every couple of days in a 400 mile radius with various search terms and exclusions before finding this:

1003604_10207207245332279_627697522381354521_n.jpg

The ad read:
"Large Pooltable 3 price slate needs new pockets and felt its a Brunswick and it's nice don't have much pics we took it apart to move everything is there call (name) leave message it used to be in the elks lodge and I've had it for years also have good sticks and balls"

Not having "pool" and "table" be separate words meant that it missed most other people actively looking since the seller said I was the only person to call. I immediately offered the full asking price and told him I'd be there the next morning to pick it up.

The morning after that, I called Mark Gregory.

Mark and I talked about a plan for how to store the table, what I needed to do before getting back to him to start and gave me a ballpark estimate on the work. The challenge he had was that I am in California and he is in Georgia and usually with these projects he's more of an onsite guy. On an anniversary table he wants to know every part of the restoration and setup was done right. He said he'd think about it though and have an idea when I got back to him.

My next hurdle was where to put the table even if I did restore it. So, I bought a house. (yeah, you read that right) Unfortunately, finding a house with a 14' by 18' room proved to be a challenge. So I just bought one and removed a couple of walls around the kitchen and installed counters low enough to get pool cues over.

Kitchen Remodel Album

OK, now that that small detail was fixed it was time to work on the table. This is where Mark goes from amazing pool table restoration expert to saint.

He talked me through every step of what I needed to do. The old stretcher was toast so I had to make a new one. The pedestals were in really bad shape so I refinished them. The previous owner had removed the wood from the slates so I had to screw it back on (very carefully) and so on. Meanwhile, Mark was building the rails, blinds and ball box based on the castings from my table.

Mark works in very specific tolerances and with very high expectations so the whole time he wanted pictures and to see how it was going. He had a certain standard and if this table was going to have his rails, blinds and ball box on it, I was going to live up to that standard as well.

After months of working with Mark over the phone, it was all ready and he encouraged me repeatedly to do the cloth myself. I watched Glen's video on rail cloth (well done, by the way) and got that done...not to either of their standards but it was my first time. And then Baxter (yes, from AZB) and I spend several hours on FaceTime with Mark putting the bed cloth and rails on. Yeah, that's right. Mark taught us to put the cloth and rails on the table over the phone. I can't imagine too many pool table mechanics doing that. My fiance was our "camera woman" and Mark supervised every step of the way.

Pool Table Restoration

Mark isn't just a pool table mechanic or pool table builder or pool table anything. Mark is a man who loves pool and genuinely wants others to love it as much as he does. He does NOT charge enough for the service he provides. It may sound pricey at first. Get over that! The commitment you will get from Mark when you start working with him will probably be unlike any other experience in your life.

I bought a house and remodeled it to fit a 9ft. Brunswick Anniversary pool table. That was my commitment to this project. What I didn't expect was that Mark was just as committed to it. I have learned more during this project than I ever expected and I can't even put into words how grateful I am for all that Mark did for me.

If you are lucky enough to work with Mark, nothing will prepare you for the results.

I played Baxter for a couple of hours before we left for league and I was totally overwhelmed (and won the first to games...suck it, Baxter). Tonight my fiance will probably beat the ever living hell out of me as she does every time we play each other and I'm sure I'll love every minute.

Thank you, Mark.

12400868_10207207616221551_1721069905291516489_n.jpg

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
looks like a great table,nice work,you have one of the best tables ever

I have a really nice one for sale,one cloth change in all these years,one residential home table until I got it

refinished and ready to go for $6000 if you see someone wanting it

again your table,in fact the entire room looks good

dean

haystj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Love that table, and I'm buying one the minute I get a house with room.

I am a bit on the fence with a vintage table with tournament blue cloth.

I'm honestly not sure if I love it or think it doesn't belong on a vintage table.

Thanks for posting.

WGDave

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The tournament blue cloth looks great on your table.

Just need tournament blue curtains to match ;)

Well done!

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Beautiful table you have there. Great job getting it done too and a big well done to Mark. That is about the only table I would prefer over my GCII, lucky find.

xianmacx

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great table, great kitchen, great restoration and great woman for letting you do it. :)

Are you a contractor by trade?

Ian

Floppage

True Beginner
Silver Member
Great table, great kitchen, great restoration and great woman for letting you do it. :)

Are you a contractor by trade?

Ian

Well, the woman won two different BCA championships and was on the IPT so I was pretty sure she would be OK with the table in the main room.

I write software for a living. Both the renovation and the pool table restoration represent a pretty big stretch of my DIY skills.

xianmacx

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, the woman won two different BCA championships and was on the IPT so I was pretty sure she would be OK with the table in the main room.

I write software for a living. Both the renovation and the pool table restoration represent a pretty big stretch of my DIY skills.

nice! Impressive work.

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member

Very nice. I love the corner castings on those tables.

I will be in touch very soon :thumbup:

Dave

pocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Would it be rude to ask how much you paid for the table, and how much it ended up costing you total (not including the house of course :eek:). Ballpark?

Baxter

Out To Win
Silver Member
I played Baxter for a couple of hours before we left for league and I was totally overwhelmed (and won the first to games...suck it, Baxter).

The first two out of how many? I couldn't just come out of the gate whooping your ass on the dream table to spent 8 months working on. That would just be cruel. ;)

I've watched you work hard on this project for a long time. I remember you eating Subway constantly because you didn't have a working kitchen to cook in, and inviting you over for dinner so you could have a good home-cooked meal. Your post doesn't really convey it, but I know this project dragged you through hell and back. You've earned every single bit of awesome that this table is. And it is freaking awesome.

Next time I'm over, you got the 8. Cheers! :cool:

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
The table looks much better in the first photo. It's seems much more natural and realistic racked for straight pool. :grin:

Another superb restoration by MG. :wink:

Last edited:

Floppage

True Beginner
Silver Member
Would it be rude to ask how much you paid for the table, and how much it ended up costing you total (not including the house of course :eek:). Ballpark?

Hmmm...I usually avoid talking money but I would have liked to know some of this when I first started looking into this project so I understand the curiosity.

I bought the table for $650 and it cost me about $120 to get it home when factoring in rental truck and gas. It was quite a distance away from me.

At first I thought it was the steal of a lifetime but most of the blinds, ball box and stretcher were shot and the rails were going to take a ton of work to get right and they'd never look quite right even if I put the time into refinishing them. The pockets were also trashed and the castings and shields were in pretty rough shape. I think a lot of people would have just taken the table to the dump.

The total restoration from that condition to what I have now:
- Mark making new rails, ball box and blinds
- Materials to build new stretcher and refinish the pedestals (poplar, sand paper, stain, sand sealer, etc.)
- New metal for the base of the pedestals
- Getting parts professionally sprayed with conversion varnish in a booth (a little out of my skill set)
- Having a professional metal polisher restore the aluminum castings and shields
- New cloth (simonis 860hr)
- New pockets (that I'm still not 100% sure about so I may buy yet another set)
- Various tools and materials for assembly (poplar for feather strips, shims, bondo, canvas pullers, staples, etc.)

I haven't taken the time to get a detailed amount but I'm probably into the table for somewhere between $6k and $7k.

Keep in mind, that's with me doing as much of it myself as I possibly could and borrowing things like the dewalt planer from a friend to keep my costs lower. I'm nowhere near Mark's skill set but I do have some carpentry skills so not everyone may be up for that. I lost track of how many hours I have put into the table and really don't want to figure out what that cost would be if I had paid someone else.

To be honest, I am totally exhausted. This has been an 8 month project from the time the house closed escrow to playing on that table for the first time yesterday. My fiance and I had a certain vision for what we wanted and just couldn't afford to pay to have it all done professionally. I paid a contractor to oversee some of it to keep it up to code, subbed out some parts of the kitchen like the new gas line just because they were way out of my comfort zone and obviously Mark's time and patience made the table possible but other than that, it was mostly done by me and happened on weekends and evenings after work.

Needless to say, if you can afford to have Mark restore a table for you, deliver and set it up then YOU SHOULD DEFINITELY DO THAT!!!

Floppage

True Beginner
Silver Member
The first two out of how many? I couldn't just come out of the gate whooping your ass on the dream table to spent 8 months working on. That would just be cruel. ;)

I've watched you work hard on this project for a long time. I remember you eating Subway constantly because you didn't have a working kitchen to cook in, and inviting you over for dinner so you could have a good home-cooked meal. Your post doesn't really convey it, but I know this project dragged you through hell and back. You've earned every single bit of awesome that this table is. And it is freaking awesome.

Next time I'm over, you got the 8. Cheers! :cool:

Yeah, I admit you took most of the rest of the games down. My game will get better.

It was almost surreal to be playing pool in that room yesterday. I appreciate you helping me drag that project across the finish line.

One of these days I'll just sick the house pro on you and I'll do the cooking. I may be a low B in a pool hall but I'm at least a AA in a kitchen. (especially a kitchen I designed)

Floppage

True Beginner
Silver Member
This first picture is also much better with TAR 1 on the TV instead of that terrible reality show.

Yeah but that one was a little fuzzy.

I agree that TAR #1 is a little better than The Hustlers. At the very least, it's better pool and a lot more believable. I think against Grady Mathews, Finnegan gets the 5. :D