any clue what this is?

spanky79

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
a guy I know showed me this cue. i thought I would trt and get some information on this cue. old brass joint. stamped, made in Portugal.

Attachments

• 20171129_103717.jpg
    20171129_103717.jpg
    205.8 KB · Views: 881
  • 20171129_103715.jpg
    20171129_103715.jpg
    204.9 KB · Views: 880
  • 20171129_103721.jpg
    20171129_103721.jpg
    189.7 KB · Views: 871

Franky4Eyes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Post better pics of forearm with marking.
Also, post pics of joint ends unscrewed.
Is it a white ferrule, or brass ferrule?

acedonkeyace

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The chinese Flat Bottom Boat is a

SAMPAN--Chinese flat bottom boat

not

SAMPAIO--company that made pool cues until the 1980's out of Portugal

hope this helps.

respectfully

mike 'acedonkeyace' kennedy

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Agreed
From sixties

I question sixties. It could be seventies.

Every Sampaio advertised is said to be from the sixties because that's what it says online when people search it, so it is just perpetuated.

In fact, if a year is given in an Ebay ad it is always 1963.

But they were made and imported into the mid-seventies.

Red bumpers are earlier, black later. That's all I know as far as dating them. The earlier billiard cues had ivory dots and ferrules, but nit the pool cues as far as I know.

Last edited:

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
I question sixties. I could be seventies.

Every Sampaio advertised is said to be from the sixties because that's what it says online when people search it, so it is just perpetuated.

Red bumpers are earlier, black later. That's all I know as far as dating them. The earlier billiard cues had ivory dots and ferrules, but nit the pool cues as far as I know.

I thought I saw a date on one of mine, just a guess.
When did he stop building cues

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I thought I saw a date on one of mine, just a guess.
When did he stop building cues

I don't know a date for end of production but it was somewhere in the mid-seventies AFAIK. Of course...I could always be wrong.

There certainly could be a date on one...especially if it still has tags.

I am aware of a couple that had their original receipt from the eighties, it was in the original box with the cue. My explanation for that is that they were NOS at the time.

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
I question sixties. I could be seventies.

Well I had to open the Blue Book no. 3, which is obviously where these devestating collector killing mistakes are perpetuated.
The Blue Book says 1964 on every cue.
Just so I won't be tempted to perpetuate additional mistakes, I have an Astro and a Premier.
Astro doesnt look played with, Premier has the paint fading but fully intact, and they are two of the three most valuable Sampaio cues.
Worth over a thousand $$ together, and you can pry them from my collection for $225 shipped...both cues, ivory ferrules and all.
At this point I don't feel worthy to own these things.
Should have known they were out of my league before the acquisition.

JC

Coos Cues
pics came out very blurry. any help would be great.

When you shoot the photo make sure the focus squares in the view finder are on your cue not on the bumper of the car. Auto focus is a wonderful thing until it does this. Manual setting on the camera can fix this but the easiest way is just to move your camera slightly until the squares are on the cue as it auto focuses.

JC

spanky79

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When you shoot the photo make sure the focus squares in the view finder are on your cue not on the bumper of the car. Auto focus is a wonderful thing until it does this. Manual setting on the camera can fix this but the easiest way is just to move your camera slightly until the squares are on the cue as it auto focuses.

JC

lol, yes i know. i was outside and couldn't see the screen to double check it. the gentelman that owns the cue didn't know.muc. i figured i would find some infor here. thanks to all for thr info provided.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well I had to open the Blue Book no. 3, which is obviously where these devestating collector killing mistakes are perpetuated.
The Blue Book says 1964 on every cue.
Just so I won't be tempted to perpetuate additional mistakes, I have an Astro and a Premier.
Astro doesnt look played with, Premier has the paint fading but fully intact, and they are two of the three most valuable Sampaio cues.
Worth over a thousand $$ together, and you can pry them from my collection for $225 shipped...both cues, ivory ferrules and all.
At this point I don't feel worthy to own these things.
Should have known they were out of my league before the acquisition.

Woops...

I said 1963...you are right it is 1964.

What is funny is that people do try to get a grand for one of those once in a while.

I have a Sampaio. It is in like new condition. If I remember correctly I paid $8 for it at the flea market.

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
Woops...

I said 1963...you are right it is 1964.

What is funny is that people do try to get a grand for one of those once in a while.

I have a Sampaio. It is in like new condition. If I remember correctly I paid $8 for it at the flea market.

I paid $100 for that Astro at an auction just had to have it and it was new, never saw one before.
Also paid 100 for the premier.
Bought them a long time ago.
I mean who knew the tertiary market on sampaio cues was so bad.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
My best guess is that that is the trunk of a red Toyota Camry, somewhere between 1994-1997 model year. :wink:
How did I do???

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
My best guess is that that is the trunk of a red Toyota Camry, somewhere between 1994-1997 model year. :wink:
How did I do???

Terrible.....no sign of being re-painted....it’s too good to be 20 or so years old.

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How did I do???

Well as far as your date range --- horrible lol. Those dates cover two different generations ( complete different body styles ) of Camrys!