Any good books on pool out there???

Hacker39

Registered
I just ordered Jay Helfert's "Pool Wars". Anybody have any suggestions for any other books. I'm not into instructional. I would like to read about the hustlers of old.

9bizzle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"Hustler Days" by R.A Dyer and "McGoorty-A Pool Hustlers Story" by Robert Byrne.

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
I found Kid Delicious' book, "Running The Table", to be a pretty entertaining read.

dwalding

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Excellent Pool books emphasizing stories

#1 - "Hustler Days" by RA Dyer
#2 - "Pool Wars" by Jay Helfert
#3 - "Road Player" by Jerry Forsyth
#4 - "Playing off the Rail" by David McCumber
#5 - "Running the Table" by John Wertheim
#6 - "The Lions and the Lambs" by Thomas Fensch (Old, Rare, and Expensive, Check it out on loan through the Library)
#7 - "The Hustler and the Champ" by RA Dyer
#8 - "Cornbread Red, The Greatest Money Player of All Time" by Bob Henning
#9 - "Billiards, Hustlers and Hereos, Legends and Lies, The Search for Truth on the Green Felt" by John Grissim
#10 - "McGoorty a Pool Hustler's Story" by Robert Byrne
#11 - "The Gospool" by Freddie The Beard

Also enjoyable stories in Winning One Pocket, Shots Moves & Strategies, but these are top rated for their instructional quality, not their storytelling.

The above would be my list.

jungledude

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pool Book

My book, the Green Felt Jungle was selected as pool book of the year in 2000, to order send $15 to The Green Felt Jungle, 104 Acadia Lane, Thibodaux, La, I'll pay the shipping.

JimS

Grandpa & his grand boys.
Silver Member
Cuaba just did a thread about a new one.

And.... The Green Felt Jungle IS a good read. There are several more also. I loved Playing Off The Rail. Damn short term memory loss! I can't remember the others.

Last edited:

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
Sweet, an 8-ball Odyssey by Heather Byer is also a good fun and entertaining read. New York bar scene pool (think apa) from a beginner and female perspective.

Jeeves

you are in range!!!
Silver Member
Bob Henning selection can be found at

BEBOB

I am reading the stroke zone as I type. the head and gutt stuff.

Last edited:

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"Hustlers, Beats, and Others" by Ned Polsky.
"The Bank Shot and Other Great Robberies" by Minnesota Fats and Tom Fox.
"Great Pool Stories" by Robert Byrne.
"Bet High and Kiss Low" by Grady Mathews.
"Buddy Hall: Rags to Rifleman, Then What?" by W W Woody.
"How to Get By Without Working: A Hustlers' Memoirs" by Peter "Peter Rabbit" Linhard.

That's all I can think of that haven't been mentioned.

Last edited:

Bellhemen

Registered
If you want to read a good pool book get "The Hustler" by Walter Tevis. There's a reason they made a movie out of it. Personally I don't care for the movie, the book is that much better. Its the best pool book I've ever read, and I've read a lot of em.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
Another good book by Walter Tevis is The Color of Money. The storyline is completely different from the movie, only thing Scorcese kept was the title.

thaitom

Registered
Bangkok Pool Blues

I love the question and the timing. I can't help but mention my recently published book, "Bangkok Pool Blues". AZer Cuaba read it and just posted a very favorable note. You can check out the promotion trailer on you tube under "Bangkok Pool Blues" or check on my publishers site at www.mettavisions.com I think its the inside player stuff you are looking for with the focus on the Thai and Asian scene. We do have some good players and action out here.

310Shooter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Playing off the Rail, Pool Wars, and Running the Table are my 3 favorite reads. By that it's the "you can honestly finish the book in one sitting bc its so damn intriguing and exciting but you wanna get your money's worth outta the book so you break it up and read it in three sittings" hahaha.. really.

I finished The Hustler in the plane on the way to Derby City. It was a good book, but something about non-fiction just fascinates me much more.

Currently reading The Color of Money which yes, I was expecting more of the movie storyline, but this plot is completely different in a good way.

In the bookcase, I have Hustler Days which is on deck for my next read. Kinda interested in Right on Cue and Bangkok Pool Blues but not til I'm done with what I have on hand. Would love to read a short excerpt for either one.. (saw the youtube vid for Bangkok)

JimS

Grandpa & his grand boys.
Silver Member
"Hustlers, Beats, and Others" by Ned Polsky.
"The Bank Shot and Other Great Robberies" by Minnesota Fats and Tom Fox.
"Great Pool Stories" by Robert Byrne.
"Bet High and Kiss Low" by Grady Mathews.
"Buddy Hall: Rags to Rifleman, Then What?" by W W Woody.
"How to Get By Without Working: A Hustlers' Memoirs" by Peter "Peter Rabbit" Linhard.

That's all I can think of that haven't been mentioned.

These are all great .... as are the other suggestions in this thread. I've read almost all of them and had fun with each and all.

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I didn't mention fiction because you indicated you were interested in books about pool and pool players. Fiction would be a whole other list.
There are also other non-fiction books that mention pool but are not about pool specifically. For instance, "The Crossroader: Memoirs of a Professional Gambler" by N.M. Moore, Jr. and Walt Darring and "Fast Company: How Six Master Gamblers Defy the Odds and Always Win" by Jon Bradshaw, which has a chapter devoted to Minnesota Fats.

Last edited:

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
need a zip code

My book, the Green Felt Jungle was selected as pool book of the year in 2000, to order send $15 to The Green Felt Jungle, 104 Acadia Lane, Thibodaux, La, I'll pay the shipping.

Your PM box is full and I need a zip code. Didn't realize that Thiboducks had gotten big enough to have two! :D :D :D

Hu

Cuaba

Livin Large
Silver Member
Last edited: