Any thoughts on bca vegas

yelvis111

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Did you get these Fargo ratings from the BCA entry lists, which have their locked-in Fargo ratings used to place people, or did you get these by looking them up after the tournament?

In any case, you need to compare it not to perfection, but to what it was before Fargo was used. And now that the Fargo league mngmt system is being released, you’ll have a lot fewer mystery people coming from the leagues.

The ratings are where they're rated after the tournament. Of course a good run in a tournament like this will raise your Fargo rating; my point is that the discrepancy between the starting and ending Fargo ratings in Silver, in particular, is higher than a good tournament performance would allow for.

Read some of my past posts and you'll see that I'm a HUGE proponent of Fargo ratings. I'm a data scientist with degrees in Physics and Applied Mathematics. I'm just pointing out that a specific hole in the ratings' efficacy; namely, that a starter rating of 525 (since adjusted, I believe) allows too many unknown players to "rob" the Silver division.

Pax,

Taek

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Did anyone that play in the event see their Fargo ratings move at all? My son played very well there (7 footers with decently easy pockets), I would say 30-50 points over his normal game on 9 footers with tighter pockets, but the Fargo rating did not budge one bit. He probably had a break and run average of 25% ore more during the two events he played in. I would have thought such a good performance over 80 or so games would have caused some movement in the rating.

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Did anyone that play in the event see their Fargo ratings move at all? My son played very well there (7 footers with decently easy pockets), I would say 30-50 points over his normal game on 9 footers with tighter pockets, but the Fargo rating did not budge one bit. He probably had a break and run average of 25% ore more during the two events he played in. I would have thought such a good performance over 80 or so games would have caused some movement in the rating.

Did he beat people with higher ratings? Or lose to people with lower ratings? Maybe a little of each? I don’t think a rating will move unless you do something out of the ordinary.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Did he beat people with higher ratings? Or lose to people with lower ratings? Maybe a little of each? I don’t think a rating will move unless you do something out of the ordinary.

He crushed people with lower ratings, not one person he played in the event was ranked higher than him, he was winning like 70-90 points to 20,30 (at 14 points a rack win). I think the closest match in handicap he had was someone that was a 510 or something to his 560, most matches were 400s level players.

I guess you would need to have seen the games instead of just checking at the score, when your opponent needs barely 2 games and you need 6, it makes for some great playing to keep winning. One player got to 17 points only because he got 14 points when my son missed a 9 ball and left an easy shot for him. So the opponent managed to make 4 balls total the whole set. Had one missed shot and one missed kick that set.

It was really some of the best pool I have seen him play (again given the fact that it was 7 footers with not tight pockets and setup decently), he was playing at a 600+ level the whole event.

Last edited:

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So true...

We'll see Randy and his foursome (e.g Jerry Breisteth...) in Fargo in a couple weeks

--the real deal...

You too, getting to listen to people all day ask why they’re overrated and everyone else is underrated.

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He crushed people with lower ratings, not one person he played in the event was ranked higher than him, he was winning like 70-90 points to 20,30 (at 14 points a rack win). I think the closest match in handicap he had was someone that was a 510 or something to his 560, most matches were 400s level players.

I guess you would need to have seen the games instead of just checking at the score, when your opponent needs barely 2 games and you need 6, it makes for some great playing to keep winning. One player got to 17 points only because he got 14 points when my son missed a 9 ball and left an easy shot for him. So the opponent managed to make 4 balls total the whole set. Had one missed shot and one missed kick that set.

It was really some of the best pool I have seen him play (again given the fact that it was 7 footers with not tight pockets and setup decently), he was playing at a 600+ level the whole event.

I feel your pain. I don’t think Fargo cares much about HOW we get the win though. For all the system knows, his opponents dogged their brains out.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I feel your pain. I don’t think Fargo cares much about HOW we get the win though. For all the system knows, his opponents dogged their brains out.

Yes now that you got me thinking about it, the fact that he was spotting people that still played pretty good and was running out does not really go into Fargo since it just looks at the numbers. Would be nice to have the AccuStats TPA being used, but that requires a lot of number keeping for the match.

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My rating went up after Vegas because I beat some players that were rated pretty high. I don’t think I did anything special (just got out when I was supposed to), but the numbers say I played awesome!

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

USAPL is not in yet. At this point he just has a few mini tournaments in

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
USAPL is not in yet. At this point he just has a few mini tournaments in

Odd, someone was asking about the minis and was told that the mini results would not be put into Fargo. Not that it's a bad thing if they were added in since many of the players we faced in the minis where under-ranked by 50-100 points and had starter ratings, with one player in the minis that was not in Fargo at all (from Puerto Rico I think) that was in as a 450 or so but played at high 500, low 600 level. I think of the 15 or so players my son and I faced, 10 were too low for how they played with 5 of those hugely too low (about 100 points).

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We sure have fun, don't we? LOL Pops and I have worked this tournament for 13 straight years...giving 5 DAYS OF FREE LESSONS to anyone interested.
This year we had over 400 players stop in...some to watch, and some to get up on the table and get a "5-Minute Stroke Fix"! It was nice to see you again!:thumbup:

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

Nobody works harder than you and Scott at that event.

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Odd, someone was asking about the minis and was told that the mini results would not be put into Fargo. Not that it's a bad thing if they were added in since many of the players we faced in the minis where under-ranked by 50-100 points and had starter ratings, with one player in the minis that was not in Fargo at all (from Puerto Rico I think) that was in as a 450 or so but played at high 500, low 600 level. I think of the 15 or so players my son and I faced, 10 were too low for how they played with 5 of those hugely too low (about 100 points).

The one player who was new to the system was Nicholas Linton from Jamaica. He is now established at 586. We had no record of him (no starter rating).

Here are all of yours and your son's opponents in the minis. I think readers here would be left with a misleading impression reading your comments. I would prefer people study this a bit and form their own conclusions.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-08-06 at 3.19.06 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-08-06 at 3.19.06 PM.png
    114.5 KB · Views: 261

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have not played usapl in over a month and it looks like its gonna be a while before I can rejoin the league..

We had 2 teams from here qualify for nationals and I know one went and finished 2nd. Not even sure if the other team went.

I realize my rating is based on playing the same local people over and over. I am curious as to how my rating will be affected once the results of our local players that competed at nationals are entered into the system.

Really missing usapl but I have other priorities going on right now.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The one player who was new to the system was Nicholas Linton from Jamaica. He is now established at 586. We had no record of him (no starter rating).

Here are all of yours and your son's opponents in the minis. I think readers here would be left with a misleading impression reading your comments. I would prefer people study this a bit and form their own conclusions.

That was the Jamaican guy I was talking about with no rating playing well, he played my son a 5-3 race, with my son going to 5. His rating seems right, he seemed to play about a 600 level. The thing that bugged me was that you should not have been allowed to play in the minis without a known Fargo rating.

The rest of them, I don't fully remember, but I know that I was watching a lot of those we were spotting 2 games to 5 run a lot of balls LOL.

Nice stats as always, and some of those that went up by 30, 40 points showed what I felt the ratings to really be. Probably a bit too low for some of them still, but I run into that everywhere. I would rather play a stronger player even than have to spot someone I know is as good as me or close to it.

What is the average Fargo rating? How many are in each level? I'm a bit curious because I thought there would be more higher rated players than there were, seems like the 400 range was the most populous one. Not that my son and I are amazing players, but seems like we both were spotting 90% of the building hehe. Maybe the BCA side has better players than the USAPL side since those were even races so attracted the better players.

Last edited:

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been to Vegas more than several times. I'm not going to go to Vegas in the summer months, even if they are giving away money. We always like getting out, but 100 plus degrees is well over my limit, so I won't be there.

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That was the Jamaican guy I was talking about with no rating playing well, he played my son a 5-3 race, with my son going to 5. His rating seems right, he seemed to play about a 600 level. The thing that bugged me was that you should not have been allowed to play in the minis without a known Fargo rating.

The rest of them, I don't fully remember, but I know that I was watching a lot of those we were spotting 2 games to 5 run a lot of balls LOL.

Nice stats as always, and some of those that went up by 30, 40 points showed what I felt the ratings to really be. Probably a bit too low for some of them still, but I run into that everywhere. I would rather play a stronger player even than have to spot someone I know is as good as me or close to it.

What is the average Fargo rating? How many are in each level? I'm a bit curious because I thought there would be more higher rated players than there were, seems like the 400 range was the most populous one. Not that my son and I are amazing players, but seems like we both were spotting 90% of the building hehe. Maybe the BCA side has better players than the USAPL side since those were even races so attracted the better players.

It seems more and more high rated players are not playing anymore. With the division breakdown, players who once could play in the Open Division feel they have no chance knowing they will be in the platinum division with 700+ players.

People in the 400s aren't concerned about stuff like that from what I can tell. They probably feel they play about even with whoever is in their division. They are going more for fun than trying to cash in. 650+ aren't looking at big tournaments like that. They play to win and won't enter otherwise.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It seems more and more high rated players are not playing anymore. With the division breakdown, players who once could play in the Open Division feel they have no chance knowing they will be in the platinum division with 700+ players.

People in the 400s aren't concerned about stuff like that from what I can tell. They probably feel they play about even with whoever is in their division. They are going more for fun than trying to cash in. 650+ aren't looking at big tournaments like that. They play to win and won't enter otherwise.

Having 700 rated players in an "amateur" league event is pretty tough. Limit is 730 but that is in the lower ranked pro level, and for BCA which is straight races, it won't be fun.

Seems the top 25% are put in the highest division, but going by what I saw while there, if you are a mid to high 500 you can be in the top 25% easily. Which means B+ players will be playing even with A+ and Open players.

Even a 700 limit would be hard on players that pay their own way there, I guess if you won a trip through your league, then it's a free ride so who cares then really. Just have some fun and see how well you do. If I had to pay my own way to Vegas for a week, no way am I entering an event with players 100 points higher than me. Local Joss event that will cost me under $100, bring it on, spending $1,000 or more on a trip to have someone run 3-4 racks on me while I sit there, nope.

Last edited: