I don't know about softer, but kinder maybe. I see no reason why an Elkmaster should be abusive to his herd of Elk.
Being an Elk isn't easy these days. Living off of lichen and tree bark. Cold winters and hot summers. And only able to have sex one day out of the year. What's an Elk gotta do to get a break around here. :smile:
I take a pair of pliers and squeeze the sides of the tip all around until it expands vertically. In a box of tips you'll find about 2 or 3 tips that are soft enough to squeeze all the way through. The tips have great feel and put enormous amounts of spin on the cb. Nearly everyone in the hall I play at uses one of these. It definitely improves your stroke because you have stroke super smooth or the cue ball wont draw back a lick!
Work the heck out of the tip with a tip-pik. It would be the same as tenderizing meat.You are breaking up the fibers in the leather making the tip 'softer'.
If there is another leather tip softer than an elk master, I don't know of one. I play with soft tips myself.
OK, this is going to sound a bit weird, but it is (to the best of my knowledge) true. Years ago some players would take Elk Master tips, soak them in milk to soften them up, then squeeze them in vise grips that they left locked until the tips dried again. This would make them more dense and I would imagine harder. But if you did not compress them in the vise grips I imagine the tips would expand and soften.
The question becomes how long to soak them. The vise grip guys would leave them in milk overnight. Seems to me it would be easier just to put a soft old Le Pro on there and use the milk for Oreos.