Any word from Dennis Searing....

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
You must be right. Jason, you sir are a gentleman and a procurer!

Hu
(Jason, you have to excuse me, that great line is from "A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum." Heard it a decade or more ago, my first chance to use it!):grin-square::grin-square::grin-square:

:)

As usual bbb is another guy who knows nothing lol.

I've actually bought at good prices and have actually given a few AZers a very good price on a few because I knew they really wanted one and weren't going to flip it.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Define "better".

Are you saying Searing is the VERY TOP MAKER?

If so, what makes it so and who is #2?

Yes, that's what I'm saying:grin: everything considered, build and quality wise he's the best.

If I had to pick 1 guy to build me an old school Bushka/Boti style cue, John Showmans name is right there without question.

I havent seen enough of Mobleys work to judge, although the Collaboration Cue with EDC I have, the inlays are flawless.
Haley makes a great looking cue.

There are a few others but for the most part its Dennis, then a few other guys that are close or real close, then the rest. Once you pass below that small group the difference/gap really widens.

The thing is, it's still possible/likely that whatever cue you have may play better than a S and there would be no point in selling your cue to buy something more expensive(probably) that you wouldn't like. I cant stand how a SW plays(too stiff) but others love them.

Speaking of SW, i never hear of build quality issues and they always seem very close to meeting their deadlines.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
When i lived in Florida i had Dennis make me a cue. 4 points tulipwood, hoppe style. I spent a lot of time in his shop as did many others. Always very generous with his time. Also a good judge of character. Thats why deanoc never got a cue from him :)

Green sent. :rotflmao1:

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
When i lived in Florida i had Dennis make me a cue. 4 points tulipwood, hoppe style. I spent a lot of time in his shop as did many others. Always very generous with his time. Also a good judge of character. Thats why deanoc never got a cue from him :)

Fabulous, thanks for the story

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have heard people I respect such as Will and Jake tell me that t
Dennis makes the highest quality cues they know of.
They speak ot close tolerances and things that I can not see.

I am not saying they are not there, my vision is poor plus I do not have
their artist sensibility. I appreciate a beautiful cue like a Mottey,Szamboti,
because they look perfect to me.

I find it hard to believe anyone makes better looking cues than Tonkin or Manzino.
If there is anything prettier than those I would have to see it

One thing I do know,my collie dog is the prettiest animal in the world including the lion or the tiger.

And I will bet anyone $10,000 if they come over and we take Buddy for a walk,someone will stop and say"that is the prettiest dog I ever saw" in so many words

and I will post

gunzby

My light saber is LD
Silver Member
Dennis has always been at the top of my list should I ever win the lottery. The small details of his cues are what get me. His inlays always seem to be the exact right size and in the exact right place to compliment the symmetry of the design.

Thecoats

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have had three Searing, three Showman, two Mobley, two Manzino, two Tonkin, and two Gina cues as well as countless others. I think I have pretty much owned cues by every top tier maker of cues between 1990 and now with the exception of Haley and Hercek and I would be hard pressed to pick a "best" cue maker.

I would say the two cues that I thought spoke to me the most regarding precision and attention to detail were a Mobley I had and a Searing that Will Prout let me hit a few balls with.

I do think if someone hasn't paid Dennis any money then he really doesn't owe them anything.

Take Care
-don

Hits 'em Hard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have had three Searing, three Showman, two Mobley, two Manzino, two Tonkin, and two Gina cues as well as countless others. I think I have pretty much owned cues by every top tier maker of cues between 1990 and now with the exception of Haley and Hercek and I would be hard pressed to pick a "best" cue maker.

I would say the two cues that I thought spoke to me the most regarding precision and attention to detail were a Mobley I had and a Searing that Will Prout let me hit a few balls with.

I do think if someone hasn't paid Dennis any money then he really doesn't owe them anything.

Take Care
-don

How about when Dennis ****s a cue up so badly someone is out their entire cue that costs $$$$$?

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
Classic AZB thread, one of dozens of it's kind. You should listen to the nuthuggers: We don't deserve Mr. Seerings services/cues. In fact, I don't think anybody does, not even those who defend him. Who deserves to be strung along for 20 years with nothing to show for it, or have his cue broken without compensation? Who deserves to be lied to and mislead over and over. There may be some that do, but I doubt it's true of all the people in these repeating threads.

Here is an idea for cuemakers everywhere: Some guy keeps pestering you for a cue you don't want to make, for whatever reason: Just say "NO". There, problem solved. Time saved that can be used for endless visits from people who shower you with compliments (andmaybeoccationallyworkingonacuebutyouknowthatsalotofworkandwhoreallyneedsit)

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Here is an idea for cuemakers everywhere: Some guy keeps pestering you for a cue you don't want to make, for whatever reason: Just say "NO".
I agree.
And at Dennis's level, move the shop to the boonies and shut the door from visitors.

ShootingHank

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He doesn't really owe anyone anything but having a waiting list and use this waiting list as leverage is poor behavior. The leverage you have because you have ___ amount of people on the list, therefore, you must be in demand. We see and hear about this all the time.

Also, there are a few more threads of this guy screwing people over.

Dennis makes the best playing pool cues on the planet.... Barr none..... Unfortunately I feel he has stolen my property and is making no effort to rectify the situation. I’ve known Dennis a long time, I’ve been to his shop a couple times. I’ve played rounds of golf with the man. No matter what “issues” he has , it is no reason not to keep some type of communication up on a ridiculously long repair problem.... I mean we are pushing 12 fuc*%#* years here. He may be hoping for my death??? Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love the people who say "I ordered a cue in 08" lol. Thats cute....I was with J$Cincy when we visited Dennis and played golf with him....That was 04. I ordered a cue as well. Never to be heard from....Except he made me Szamboti shaft in 2012 and everyone lost their mind. Showman stole money from me and a friend. Its common occurrence with these guys. And yes, I like Dennis, makes great cues, BUTTTTTTTT he has STOLEN Jimmys cue in this case.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
He doesn't really owe anyone anything but having a waiting list and use this waiting list as leverage is poor behavior. The leverage you have because you have ___ amount of people on the list, therefore, you must be in demand. We see and hear about this all the time.

Also, there are a few more threads of this guy screwing people over.

Again, no idea what you're talking about

If you want a cue built in a month there are plenty of guys

Are you looking to buy a Searing?