Anyone here make canes?

junkbond

The dog ate my stroke.
Silver Member
Okay, now I'm officially an Old Fart. Arthritis now makes it so painful to walk around the table that I've had to cut my practice time from eight hours a day to two or three.

Have any of you cue makers ever built a cane for pool players? You know, something that looks like a custom cue so that it's not quite so embarrassing to walk around with it?

It would be a good money-saving project for one of those butts that has a slight problem so you won't sell it as a cue.

If you haven't done it, but would be interested in giving it a try, let me know and we can work something out.

Thanks,
--Howard

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
Jim Baxter, who started off making great joint protectors, retired and is now making cues. He makes the odd cane for people. Get a hold of him as I am sure he can come up with something pool related for you now that he has more time to be in the shop.

I've seen a couple of pics. Of course he used pre built handles on his but it wouldn't be hard to use a pool ball as a handle instead of a wood or brass handle.

Last edited:

desi2960

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i just made one

a buddy wanted a cane made for one of his customers at his taveren, he wanted something with a eagle, i went on ebay bought a brass eagle cane head, i took an old one piece cue cut it to length using the full splice part of the cue. turned it to fit the head epoxyed on the eagle, used an old bumper for the end so it would not slip.
it aint rocket science

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are at least a couple of sellers on Ebay and one on Etsy that are making and selling such things. I see them regularly. Generally they are nothing to write home about but occasionally there is something cool.

I like the idea of talking to Baxter about it. I didn't know he made canes but his work is well known and his reputation solid. I would think he could put together something special if he were willing.

GBCues

Damn, still .002 TIR!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have made 3 canes for people (one is for my Mom for XMas - don't tell her - like she won't be able to tell from the wrapping!:smile:)

The techniques are very similar to cuemaking. Though I haven't ever made one to look like a cue - the pictures on Chris's website are really great ideas!!

Having used a cane myself for a few weeks a couple of years ago after my hip replacement, I'm not sure a 13-ball handle would be real comfortable. I know the cane I used (not made by me) seemed comfortable at first, but after a while, the tenons in my wrist and forearm got stretched and sore.

My 2 cents,

Gary

Jim Baxter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was building a Amboyna cue for a nurse , when I took it to her to show her a up-date on the cue , she loved it , but she said she needed a cane all the time , a cue only once in a while , she asked if I could turn it into a cane . The ambouna was fully cores with purple heart so it was strong enought . Here are some pictures before and after . Was a very expencive cane . Out of coco or rosewood much cheeper .

IMG_0821.jpg

IMG_0866.jpg

IMG_0867.jpg

IMG_0869.jpg

Lexicologist71

Rabid Schuler fanatic
Silver Member
I made a cue for my dad last Christmas. It was Mahogany with 4 loooong curly maple points that ran from the top to about a foot above the...foot. The handle was shaped like a drum major's baton head. I attached the two like an A joint and used black/silver/black rings at the junction. It rocked.

Steppo

That's my Bourbon
Silver Member
Andy at AV cues made a beautiful cane for his father. Maybe he'll chime in here shortly (hopefully with a picture).

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
Dems don't look like rejects to me. I am at the point that after the car accident, I could use a cane once in a while myself.

I'd love to have one of those.

junkbond

The dog ate my stroke.
Silver Member
Thanks to all of you for your replies. It looks like I have several options that will do the job for me. As soon as I find out exactly what length cane I am going to need, I'll be in business here.

Once again, AZB has proven why it's the best damn web site on the internet!

-Howard

GBCues

Damn, still .002 TIR!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks to all of you for your replies. It looks like I have several options that will do the job for me. As soon as I find out exactly what length cane I am going to need, I'll be in business here.

Once again, AZB has proven why it's the best damn web site on the internet!

-Howard

Howard,

Stand up straight with your arms hanging straight to your sides. Have someone else measure the distance from the floor to your wrist bone (that bump in your wrist on the outside of your wrist). That is a good starting place - it may be a little long, but it won't be too short.
Unless you are unusually tall or short, your cane length will likely be within 1/2" of 32".

My 2 cents,

Gary